Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cool Wheels

burnercan

burnercan

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 4Motion
So, with lots of long, boring, grey, rainy days spent waiting for this mythical Cali to be possibly delivered, or possibly not (??), I've been stewing over what to do about winter wheels/tyres. After all, it may well be winter again when/if I ever get my hands on it!. I don't think the 18" Discs would be be ideal, but also the ridiculous tyre size VW managed to come up with for this application seems to leave a guy wanting for choice of tyres. Anyway, I somehow found myself just a bit off topic while photoshopping configurator renderings, and am now pretty sure I'll be needing air suspension to fit my winter tyres (all terrain kind of means winter, doesn't it?)...

The one the wife and I agreed on:
iris (1).jpg

My choice for the second set of wheels, ignore the orange BMW M4 brake calipers...
Beach_blue2.png
That's lifted 30mm with 235/70R16 BFG ATs on Evo DakarCorse wheels. No one in their right mind would drive around Geneva and all it's underground 2.0M parkings with a lift kit, so adjustable suspension is the only reasonable alternative! So my preferred winter wheel/tyre package may run around 8% of the total new vehicle cost. But DANG, it's sexy. Seems to me that this machine was absolutely meant for 16" wheels with a bit of burly rubber on them. Does anyone else see a problem with proposing this to the Minister of internal affairs? Sorry for all the commas and run-on sentences!

Edit: So as it turns out, 17" is the minimum possible on a Cali, so 17" it will be. Good news is that Evo do the DakarZero, which is nearly the same, in a 17"

Last edited:
I’m personally not a fan of either if I had to pick one it would be the wife’s choice.... after all it’s a Cali not a landrover

Wife's choice wins.

Wifes choice of course! Should add value and help with resale too as they are the Special Edition "Ocean Blue" Wheels. :thumb

Mine...

acatar.jpg

Last edited:
it’s a Cali not a landrover

And thank goodness for that. Haha :)

I'm well aware that a T6, even with AWD and a diff lock, will likely not be as suited to rough tracks or off road as my RWD T3 is.

Much as I like the Disc wheels, I do wish I'd researched tyre choices before choosing to have 18". I haven't yet found a decent all weather in the correct size and load rating window, but I am still looking.

I have Kuhmo 18" Winters on mine for the mo. Whats nice is the 18" Tyres are a lot wider.

Winters should run a smaller dia ie 17’s not 18”. Side wall behaviour and all that ;)

Winters should run a smaller dia ie 17’s not 18”. Side wall behaviour and all that ;)
....and not as wide as 18's. You don't see fat wheeled rally cars in the snow - alway skinny.

Yes well if your wheels are wide and 18" you cannot fit skinny 17" tyres can you! And for the record I traveled the Austrian Alps this winter in much snowness and I never needed the chains or slipped at all even once so 18" fatties grip and work well but maybe not at Rally speed...

The Z-Line is a summer tyre I'm pretty sure. Might be a typo on that site. The latitude doesn't carry the weight..

According to most tyre sites a load spec of 99 or 103 is correct for a California.

Wifes choice of course! Should add value and help with resale too as they are the Special Edition "Ocean Blue" Wheels. :thumb

:stop no sorry they are Generation Six special edition retro alloys :bananadance2:bananadance2lol.

Yup that's correct as per my previous post on my thread confirming that. I was making the point that in "California World" and resale market the fact that they are used on the California RED/BLUE/GREY special editions is more relevant to YOUR resale unless your buying a Caravelle.... :upsidedown:bananadance2:pinkbanana

Yup that's correct as per my previous post on my thread confirming that. I was making the point that in "California World" and resale market the fact that they are used on the California RED/BLUE/GREY special editions is more relevant to YOUR resale unless your buying a Caravelle.... :upsidedown:bananadance2:pinkbanana

:agreed :thumb lol and by the way yours is looking absolutely fantastic.

I must agree that the tyre choice in 255/45 r18 is not great on the 4X4 side... (And I need to buy a set come April)

Now don't lower it and you be fine apart from the speedo lol....

255/60/18 MAXXIS AT-771 BRAVO ALL TERRAIN 112H

Maxxis_AT_771_Bravo_All_Terrain.png

Oh I like that! I'll get photoshopping and prepare to get chased out of town by some torch and pitchfork waving puritans!