Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Coolant problems

Trev

Trev

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We’ve had problems re coolant warning light and wondered if anyone else has experienced similar. In summary: coolant light started flashing. Pulled over coolant slightly below minimum level. Allowed engine to cool. Opened coolant chamber. Topped up with a few drops. Carries on. Repeat x 3. Next time coolant was very low and topped up. Happened again and eventually limped Home followed by VW assist (top man). VW couldn’t really find a problem but replaced most of the cooling system because VW assist had added sealant to the coolant reservoir. Couple of weeks later warning light and MFD warning to check coolant. Engine cooled and coolant was a little below min level. Released reservoir filler cap and coolant rose to min level. Patience wearing thin so back to VW. They couldn’t find a problem and think the coolant rising when filler cap is released is “coolant coming from pipes in the system and finding its own level”. I challenged them that either the coolant level is correct or the warning light/sensor is faulty. They can’t both be right. Have a feeling I’m being fobbed off and I’m just waiting for it to happen again. Anyone had a similar experience or someone with technical expertise that has a view? Thanks in advance.

Vehicle? Age? Engine? New? Under warranty?
Sorry that would help. T6 new 11-2016 registered. 150 DSG. Yes work done under warranty and we have the extended warranty. In a way I’m not fussed if it goes wrong as it’s a VW fix but ....

We’ve had problems re coolant warning light and wondered if anyone else has experienced similar. In summary: coolant light started flashing. Pulled over coolant slightly below minimum level. Allowed engine to cool. Opened coolant chamber. Topped up with a few drops. Carries on. Repeat x 3. Next time coolant was very low and topped up. Happened again and eventually limped Home followed by VW assist (top man). VW couldn’t really find a problem but replaced most of the cooling system because VW assist had added sealant to the coolant reservoir. Couple of weeks later warning light and MFD warning to check coolant. Engine cooled and coolant was a little below min level. Released reservoir filler cap and coolant rose to min level. Patience wearing thin so back to VW. They couldn’t find a problem and think the coolant rising when filler cap is released is “coolant coming from pipes in the system and finding its own level”. I challenged them that either the coolant level is correct or the warning light/sensor is faulty. They can’t both be right. Have a feeling I’m being fobbed off and I’m just waiting for it to happen again. Anyone had a similar experience or someone with technical expertise that has a view? Thanks in advance.
The Coolant System is getting pressurised . Level drops after running engine and rises when cold and reservoir cap released.

3 possibilities.

Reservoir Cap faulty. Should keep System pressure at a set level when engine running. When cold pressure would drop and air let back in through pressure cap.

System being pressurised due to an exhaust gas leak also loss of coolant as it is sucked into engine. Cylinder head gasket.

EGR cooler leaking.
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/loss-of-coolant-egr-valve.22844/

The Coolant System is getting pressurised . Level drops after running engine and rises when cold and reservoir cap released.

3 possibilities.

Reservoir Cap faulty. Should keep System pressure at a set level when engine running. When cold pressure would drop and air let back in through pressure cap.

System being pressurised due to an exhaust gas leak also loss of coolant as it is sucked into engine. Cylinder head gasket.

EGR cooler leaking.
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/loss-of-coolant-egr-valve.22844/
Thanks welshgas. That’s helpful. VW did say the other potential explanation was coolant going into the engine “but that would require us to strip the engine down”. They pressure tested it and can’t fjnd a leak. Reservoir cap makes sense as they remove that to do the pressure test. Phone call to VW tomorrow. What a great forum!

Thanks welshgas. That’s helpful. VW did say the other potential explanation was coolant going into the engine “but that would require us to strip the engine down”. They pressure tested it and can’t fjnd a leak. Reservoir cap makes sense as they remove that to do the pressure test. Phone call to VW tomorrow. What a great forum!
Please let us know the outcome.

If it's any help, I had a faulty oil seal on the oil cooler over New Year. The oil leaked into the water, rather than the other way round because apparently the oil pressure is higher than the water pressure according to the numerous mechanics at VW I spoke to. Which would make the "coolant going into the engine" unlikely. The oil ended up in the header tank.
Fixed under warranty, thank goodness.

Had a very similar issue earlier this year, mine was the pressurised coolant system, similar age as yours but 204 variant. Not much help but mine took ages and a lot of pushing to get the dealer to understand what was going on. Got VW assist involved and then I think VW customer services got involved, and eventually they replaced the egr cooler, it had cracked. Been perfect since. Did go through a lot of trial and error before they would take the engine apart.

T
If it's any help, I had a faulty oil seal on the oil cooler over New Year. The oil leaked into the water, rather than the other way round because apparently the oil pressure is higher than the water pressure according to the numerous mechanics at VW I spoke to. Which would make the "coolant going into the engine" unlikely. The oil ended up in the header tank.
Fixed under warranty, thank goodness.
Thanks SimonB

Had a very similar issue earlier this year, mine was the pressurised coolant system, similar age as yours but 204 variant. Not much help but mine took ages and a lot of pushing to get the dealer to understand what was going on. Got VW assist involved and then I think VW customer services got involved, and eventually they replaced the egr cooler, it had cracked. Been perfect since. Did go through a lot of trial and error before they would take the engine apart.
That’s very helpful. Thanks. Interestingly went out today and before starting noticed coolant was at minimum level which is what vw said they had filled it to. Released coolant reservoir cap and coolant level rose to the maximum level. Curious. More discussions with vw ahead.

I’ve seen a test carried out for oil in coolant.
It a chemical test where a sample of coolant is taken and turns a certain colour with the presence of fuel/oil.

I’ve seen a test carried out for oil in coolant.
It a chemical test where a sample of coolant is taken and turns a certain colour with the presence of fuel/oil.
sidepod thanks for this. Will add to the conversation with vw.

Here we go again. Problem occurred again on a 100mile plus trip. Back to VW. They have contacted VW technical gurus who advises the “fix” is to add another 330ml of coolant! Makes no sense at all. So now have a sharpie pen mark on reservoir to show the new correct level. They have escalated today to VW who confirmed that is the fix. I’ve spoken to VW customer services who will now appoint a case manager. Looks like a similar problem to dickiep.
Watch this space!

There is genuine information from vw about toping up the coolant over the maximum mark by 330ml. However this will not fix the problem if you are loosing coolant. My suspicion is that you have an EGR cooler starting to weep, there are ways of testing this in a workshop a cold pressure test will not work the engine needs to be hot then pressure tested. Have they left the pressure tester on it over night? I have had one vehicle with the same problem that had a hairline crack in the cylinder head.

There is genuine information from vw about toping up the coolant over the maximum mark by 330ml. However this will not fix the problem if you are loosing coolant. My suspicion is that you have an EGR cooler starting to weep, there are ways of testing this in a workshop a cold pressure test will not work the engine needs to be hot then pressure tested. Have they left the pressure tester on it over night? I have had one vehicle with the same problem that had a hairline crack in the cylinder head.
Thanks vw guru. That’s helpful. From a few other responses/research it seems that the EGR cooler may be the problem. What I don’t understand is why if the “add 330ml” is their fix why there aren’t loads of vehicles reporting this problem. I’ve been promised a call back within 48 hours. Will update when I know more.

The added 330ml is to prevent the sensor going off for no reason, it was found on acceleration and cornering that the sensor could trigger even though the level was fine. Your problem sounds to me like you are actually loosing coolant and if there is no external leak there is only one place it’s going and that’s into the engine either via the EGR cooler or the slim chance a cracked cylinder head.

The added 330ml is to prevent the sensor going off for no reason, it was found on acceleration and cornering that the sensor could trigger even though the level was fine. Your problem sounds to me like you are actually loosing coolant and if there is no external leak there is only one place it’s going and that’s into the engine either via the EGR cooler or the slim chance a cracked cylinder head.
Thanks. That’s incredibly helpful. You know more about this than VW staff do!

Still going back and forth between VW customer care and dealer. Dealer says it’s fixed and can’t do anything unless they get a technical instruction from VW. Without saying it explicitly VWCC think dealer is not doing a good job. Have sent a bunch of clear questions to dealer for them to answer. Effectively getting them to confirm it’s none of the things that posters above (and other forums) have suggested. They just can’t explain why coolant level drops and then rises and won’t carry out any further investigative work. This is getting very frustrating. Fingers crossed we aren’t sat on the side of a French autoroute this time next week.

Still going back and forth between VW customer care and dealer. Dealer says it’s fixed and can’t do anything unless they get a technical instruction from VW. Without saying it explicitly VWCC think dealer is not doing a good job. Have sent a bunch of clear questions to dealer for them to answer. Effectively getting them to confirm it’s none of the things that posters above (and other forums) have suggested. They just can’t explain why coolant level drops and then rises and won’t carry out any further investigative work. This is getting very frustrating. Fingers crossed we aren’t sat on the side of a French autoroute this time next week.
Coolant level had dropped again over the weekend so took it back to VW and effectively staged a polite sit in until they agreed to look at it. Long story short after much back and forth with dealer and VW customer care the technical boffins are saying there’s not a problem and it can take up to 20,000 miles before coolant levels normalise! So with no choice but to go on holiday as planned off we went. Light came on eight times in c700 miles. Each time pull over, carefully release cap and coolant rises to overfilled (by VW) level. Arrived at destination. Left vehicle for two days. Coolant well below where it should be. Released cap and it’s still below where it should be. Had to add c1 litre of coolant to bring it to overfilled level. No visible sign of a leak. According to VW I need to keep doing this until it hits 20,000 miles???? Am pretty hacked off being stuck between VW saying there’s no problem and the dealer saying they can’t do anything unless VW instruct them to. Think the only option is a lawyer when I get back. Have told them en route throughout france when this latest episode happened that we intend to return the vehicle as it’s not fit for purpose/has a manufacturing fault. Any ideas gratefully received. Thanks.

Coolant level had dropped again over the weekend so took it back to VW and effectively staged a polite sit in until they agreed to look at it. Long story short after much back and forth with dealer and VW customer care the technical boffins are saying there’s not a problem and it can take up to 20,000 miles before coolant levels normalise! So with no choice but to go on holiday as planned off we went. Light came on eight times in c700 miles. Each time pull over, carefully release cap and coolant rises to overfilled (by VW) level. Arrived at destination. Left vehicle for two days. Coolant well below where it should be. Released cap and it’s still below where it should be. Had to add c1 litre of coolant to bring it to overfilled level. No visible sign of a leak. According to VW I need to keep doing this until it hits 20,000 miles???? Am pretty hacked off being stuck between VW saying there’s no problem and the dealer saying they can’t do anything unless VW instruct them to. Think the only option is a lawyer when I get back. Have told them en route throughout france when this latest episode happened that we intend to return the vehicle as it’s not fit for purpose/has a manufacturing fault. Any ideas gratefully received. Thanks.

Upton 20k is a load of rubbish I’ve worked on these vehicles for 15 years and although the coolant will drop slightly in the first few 1000 miles it hardly ever brings the light on. the amount you are using is exceptionally high and as I have said before I suspect you have a crack in your cylinder head. It’s not that the vehicle is not fit for purpose it is but unfortunately you are dealing with idiots. Vw do not have to give the go ahead to do anything unless the repair is over 10k e.g a new engine and ancillarys the diagnosis is up to the individual dealership. Vw will not ever instruct a dealership to directly replace a component they can only advise the dealership on what to look for and aid them to come to a conclusion of there own.at the end of the day Vw technical are sat in an office miles away from your vehicle it’s the technicians working on it who have everything in front of them. The next time your light comes on would it be possible for you to give the top rad hose a squeeze before you release the pressure.it should have a little movement in it if it is as hard as a bullit then the system is over pressurizing. Please be careful though not trying to teach anyone to suck eggs but the outside temp of the hoses can be 85 degrees+

Absolute rubbish on behalf of the Dealership. I had something similar on a Land Rover Puma. In the end my local garage changed the EGR cooler. Land Rover insisted it was normal.

Can you not try another Dealership as it is under Warranty?

Upton 20k is a load of rubbish I’ve worked on these vehicles for 15 years and although the coolant will drop slightly in the first few 1000 miles it hardly ever brings the light on. the amount you are using is exceptionally high and as I have said before I suspect you have a crack in your cylinder head. It’s not that the vehicle is not fit for purpose it is but unfortunately you are dealing with idiots. Vw do not have to give the go ahead to do anything unless the repair is over 10k e.g a new engine and ancillarys the diagnosis is up to the individual dealership. Vw will not ever instruct a dealership to directly replace a component they can only advise the dealership on what to look for and aid them to come to a conclusion of there own.at the end of the day Vw technical are sat in an office miles away from your vehicle it’s the technicians working on it who have everything in front of them. The next time your light comes on would it be possible for you to give the top rad hose a squeeze before you release the pressure.it should have a little movement in it if it is as hard as a bullit then the system is over pressurizing. Please be careful though not trying to teach anyone to suck eggs but the outside temp of the hoses can be 85 degrees+
Thanks VW guru. As I thought it looks like I’m being given the run around. Will try the squeeze next time. Currently sat back enjoying the Beaune region so haven’t lifted the bonnet in two days. Wonder what I’ll be confronted with?

Back