Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

CORROSION, not the roof.

CYCLOPATH

CYCLOPATH

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
IMG_2196.JPG IMG_2185.JPG IMG_2187.JPG IMG_2195.JPG ls corrosion of the, well I think they are called swing arms, normal, acceptable?
And what should I do about it.
I am within my 3 year warranty. Surely the coating they put on should have protected agains this? Can I claim ?
If not, is it worth applying or getting applied, some sort of wax or coating? What is suggested.
I I tend to keep the van for 10 yrs , so am happy to invest , if it will help

I've been under plenty of cars and your suspension looks pretty normal to me. The suspension components usually come just with a coat of paint from new, but as you can imagine, they are pretty soon sand-blasted by the muck from the road. What you have there is a nice coating of iron oxide that will prevent any further deterioration of the steel.

I'd say that most suspension components, especially bushes and ball joints, risk needing to be replaced at some point, if you keep a vehicle long-term or for six-figure mileages. They aren't exactly a maintenance item like brake discs, but I'd say you would be lucky to avoid a replacement of some kind over a 10-year period.

Edit: to answer your question, I don't think it is worth adding a coating of anything. You won't increase the life of the steel components and the rubber ones will wear out first anyway.

These suspension bits are a big hefty cast item not some flimsy pressed steel thingy so what you are seeing is just surface rust.

I've been under plenty of cars and your suspension looks pretty normal to me. The suspension components usually come just with a coat of paint from new, but as you can imagine, they are pretty soon sand-blasted by the muck from the road. What you have there is a nice coating of iron oxide that will prevent any further deterioration of the steel.

I'd say that most suspension components, especially bushes and ball joints, risk needing to be replaced at some point, if you keep a vehicle long-term or for six-figure mileages. They aren't exactly a maintenance item like brake discs, but I'd say you would be lucky to avoid a replacement of some kind over a 10-year period.

Edit: to answer your question, I don't think it is worth adding a coating of anything. You won't increase the life of the steel components and the rubber ones will wear out first anyway.
That's useful, Thanks. I have only had old cars in the past, and they had the rust, but were good value! As I am still under warranty I thought I would check.

It is completely normal. Most (all) cars start an early corrosion undernearth. The protection here is very limited.

I got mine coated from new at SUVO with something called "Techtyle". There are many companies who do that here (Dinitrol, Pava, SUVO, etc). It has to be reapplied every second or third year. It is a thin oil tar based coating, that smells, drips, and is quite a mess until it stiffens and creates a smooth flexible coating. It is also sprayed into holes and champers if applied correctly.

I am not sure if it can be applied in all countries and how they do it on a used car, where corrosion has started. But when done it gives great protection and keeps value on your used car better.

Before and after:

104.jpeg

These suspension bits are a big hefty cast item not some flimsy pressed steel thingy so what you are seeing is just surface rust.
I guess that makes sense, my 1992 focus has just had a bit of welding....but the rusty struts , like these, were fine, it was the thinner bodywork around the rear wheel arch.....and rear seat belt mounts that went.....glad I asked though. Thanks

Back