Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cost of camping in 2021

Annik

Annik

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We meet up with family once per year at the same campsite and same week of the year, obviously we did not go this year but I have taken the risk and booked for 2021 however price has gone up 20% . I think we may see a lot of sites do this for 2021 onwards

I think with the year we have just had it’s won’t be surprising that prices go up although looking at our 2021 ACSI book they still have the same prices as 2020 ..But that’s mainly mainland Europe in the off season.

I think with the year we have just had it’s won’t be surprising that prices go up although looking at our 2021 ACSI book they still have the same prices as 2020 ..But that’s mainly mainland Europe in the off season.
The extra costs that sites have had to invest in this year to comply, less pitches, so much more admin, constant bookings, cancellations, refunds etc, been a bloody nightmare some never opened their gates, don’t blame them, I work on a site in the Lakes, today, all guests have to leave, loads of admin, no income

If you think that’s bad, wait till we can fly again, prices for flights and package holidays are going to skyrocket.

I challenged this with a site I have booked for July their price had actually gone up 23% on last year. They blamed it on them having a bad 2020, I don't buy this as this site had there staff on furlough and then had a bumper summer.

My local pub in the village has not increased their prices at all and they had a a much worse 2020, they are just happy to have customers.

Supply and demand.
I won’t pay silly prices for a patch of grass. May as well park up down a lane somewhere.

its cheaper to stay in a Premier Inn now

Agreed, we have actually booked a block of Premier inns for some days in the summer, with discounts it was just £26 per night which was a no brainer, these were either coastal or city centre locations.

I bought a camper do I do not have to stay in a premier inn.

It's still the better option.
Not always. The ability to pull in to a premier inn late at night with 4 on board, be fed and crawl in to bed without having to clear downstairs and raise the roof etc. Is great at times. Normally en-route to/from a longer stay in the van, topped up with kids stuff, bikes etc. They have their uses and can be fantastic value for money.

Last edited:
Love premier Inns, superb value for money and Cali does not look out of place in the car park. Beats walking to the shower block in the rain or peeing in a porta potti in the van.

I mix and match , best if both worlds , also say in Airbnb too, some lovely places for less that £50 per night

As some on here have said some ifvthe campsiteszare no more than car parks in a muddy field, it can be done well but often isnt,

Not always. The ability to pull in to a premier inn late at night with 4 on board, be fed and crawl in to bed without having to clear downstairs and raise the roof etc. Is great at times. Normally en-route to/from a longer stay in the van, topped up with kids stuff, bikes etc. They have their uses and can be fantastic value for money.

Yes, I accept that. If it was more than just me I most certainly would opt for that alternative at times.

My comment referred to the fact that I bought my camper when I was spending a lot of time in Europe giving lots of talks relating to the 1914-1918 centenary and I was totally sick to death of stopping in hotels.

The motivation for me buying a camper was literally to avoid stopping in hotels and still is, although I am now almost properly retired so no longer have the pressure of being away from my home on my my own. :)

As some on here have said some ifvthe campsiteszare no more than car parks in a muddy field, it can be done well but often isnt,
This is where I work, only 5 pitches so no overcrowding lol, water, electric, WiFi , tv and waste disposal, no showers or loo, £20 a night, photo taken other day after everyone had to leave

Attachments

• 674D4C76-8DF5-4595-B6BB-2A4212B1B619.jpeg
    674D4C76-8DF5-4595-B6BB-2A4212B1B619.jpeg
    272.2 KB · Views: 124
Exactly, it can be done well and be worth tbe money, great site.

This is where I work, only 5 pitches so no overcrowding lol, water, electric, WiFi , tv and waste disposal, no showers or loo, £20 a night, photo taken other day after everyone had to leave
What’s the site called? Looks good.

Just looked at Tristram for summer, £80 per night !!!? They still charge for showers too at 50p for 4 minutes. The problem is people will pay these prices .

Last time I stayed there, I think I payed £54. Although it was split between 4 guys, so wasn’t so bad.
But honestly, if ever a site was over-rated...

Not the biggest fan of Polzeath. Cornwall has much nicer places to base yourself.

Love premier Inns, superb value for money and Cali does not look out of place in the car park. Beats walking to the shower block in the rain or peeing in a porta potti in the van.

I mix and match , best if both worlds , also say in Airbnb too, some lovely places for less that £50 per night
Airbnb, hadn’t thought of that.

5 Pitches, you must be rushed off your feet ;) but seriously it is a lovely part of the world.

We can hope by individual action to influence prices but I suspect supply and demand will triumph.
Hopefully much of the extra demand will be short term and any long term increase will be met by a greater supply and prices will stabilise.
In the meantime prices are going to be volatile causing difficulty for some.
Most of us can adjust and hunker down until sanity returns.
Fingers crossed.

Mike

It is all about Supply & Demand. In order for prices to go down then Camping sites need to increase in number or fewer Campers.
When overseas holidays return then things will return to normal, but until then we're stuck with increased charges.

5 Pitches, you must be rushed off your feet ;) but seriously it is a lovely part of the world.
Lol, we also have 12 self catering properties over the road so that does keep me very busy forgot to say, we have a laundry that the touring guests can use, and a private lakeside beach