Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Costs of driving to Greece

K

koups

HI All, I am planning a trip down to Greece (probably Vasiliki way but all around that area) next July in my Cali. As my family have less time I am going ahead and am going to pick them up from an airport.

However, I am just wondering if anyone has done this trip and has an idea of the total costs of getting there in the van with petrol and tolls/ferries. We plan to be around there for about 3 weeks but could stretch it out to 5 weeks if needed.

I have read the posts from others who have headed this way in their vans and they were helpful. I guess I am slightly grappling with whether the van would be useful to have over just renting a car and using airbnb places to stay over campsites and wild camping.

Thank you for your advice!

You could the viamichelin website, which allows you to enter your route and vehicle information. It will then calculate the diesel usage and toll/ferry costs, etc.

I’ve driven to and from Greece by somewhat circuitous routes.

There are three basic routes you could choose from, each with their own advantages and disadvantages.

Route 1
Via the Italian Adriatic Coast, crossing from Brindisi or Bari to Igoumenitsa.
Probably the safest route, but the ferry passage is about 12 hours. Roads are good dual carriageway all the way.
Route 2
Down the Adriatic Coast through Croatia, Bosnia, Montenegro and Albania.
The motorway south through Croatia is pristine, as is the Ionian Highway in Greece. You will need to buy 3rd party insurance at the Bosnian, Montenegro and Albanian borders, and will probably not be able to get comprehensive cover. The road through Montenegro and Albania is not motorway and is probably quite poor quality in Albania. (Eventually the EU will complete the road to link Croatia to Greece, but that’s probably more than a decade away.)
Route 3
Via Romania and Bulgaria
Probably the longest route, but you stay in the EU, so no insurance problems. You can also cross the Carparthian Mountains by the Transfăgărășan.

We went via a version of Route 1 and returned via a version of Route 3, but then ended up following the Serbian/Croat border to Dubrovnik and zigzagged back along all of the EU parts of Route 2.

Last edited:
We looked at it once and decided it was cheaper to fly! The money we saved paid for a nice villa for a week. High cost of fuel on the continent is not helping.

Route 1
Via the Italian Adriatic Coast, crossing from Brindisi or Bari to Igoumenitsa.
Thats the way to go. My mate Filli the greek does it often.

He also recently told me that if i didn't remove my removable towbar when not
in use then i would get a fine in Greece.

Thats the way to go. My mate Filli the greek does it often.
It is the way Germans do it in droves. But with just two crossings every 24 hours between Brindisi and Igoumenitsa, and the cost of the crossing, it is not necessarily the best option.

There is a fourth route through Serbia and North Macedonia. I’ve no idea what the state of the roads might be.

We are looking at driving to Greece in the spring. There is a ferry from Ancona to Patras with Anek Lines. There is an option for onboard camping (you sleep in your campervan). I believe the journey is 22 hours and costs around £250 euros one way with a 30% discount on your return journey if you book both ways. I thought this sounded like a good option saving on driving, fuel, tolls and campsites. I haven’t looked at the Anek website recently however when I last looked booking had not yet opened for 2020.

Information on the Adriatic–Ionian motorway.

Adriatic%E2%80%93Ionian_motorway.jpg

We have driven to Greece twice. Once crossing from Bari and the other time from Ancona. Both times to Kefalonia as the ferry stops at Sami. Watch out if you collect your ticket at the port as the port office is hard to find and if you miss your ferry its a number of days until the next one!

If your planning to go to Vassiliki I dont think the ferry is running from Fiskardo due to the marina works (if you went the Sami route). We were there in the summer staying at Cosmos (Neilson) windsurfing and had a great time.

Camping overnight on the ferry is great fun and there is even electric hookup - incredible sailing past Corfu whilst having your breakfast in the Cali.

Its cheaper to fly to Preveza but its a lot more fun driving down in the Cali.

Our old Cali on the beach at Vass!

Cali Vass.JPG

You could the viamichelin website, which allows you to enter your route and vehicle information. It will then calculate the diesel usage and toll/ferry costs, etc.
You can always find the BEST restaurants using the app as well!!!

Superfast Ferry from Bari to Igoumensita is 7 hours with camping on board. The drive down the Italian Adriatic Coast is not very interesting once past Venice. If you have time I would suggest driving the Atllantic side and taking in some of the sites. Drive across to Bari once far enough south.

Superfast Ferry from Bari to Igoumensita is 7 hours with camping on board. The drive down the Italian Adriatic Coast is not very interesting once past Venice. If you have time I would suggest driving the Atllantic side and taking in some of the sites. Drive across to Bari once far enough south.
Yes I did both sides of Italy to and from Brindisi ferry port this year. Nigel is correct. Do the west side. Much nicer. The Adriatic coast of Italy was scruffy this year. Litter everywhere. The area around the Greek port of Iguomenitsa is lovely but wild camping difficult so use camping sites. Overnight sleeping in the free harbourside car park is permitted at the port however. I've also done the Croatian side as far as Albania which is great but watch your insurance because mine only covers me inside the European Union and to get to Dubrovnik you will do about 20 miles outside of the European Union unless you take the car ferry which avoids the problem. Going the Croation route via Belgium and Germany avoids many tolls in France and Italy. A super route but I dont know Albania.

To decide your route ... the two main barriers are the Channel and the Alps. Recommend the tunnel and buying the Swiss annual road tax which includes crossings of most, but not all, tunnels and passes. You could avoid the Alps by using A - H - RO - BG but they each have road taxes. Camping en route is easy to find although not so plentiful in BG. Recommend the site east of Veliko Tarnovo which is run by an English couple.
Adriatic ferries - timetables not usually published until December at best. Camping on board provision is two fold. Minoan Lines put your van on electricity in the car deck and provide a cabin - but you then cannot access your van for cheap eats and drinks. Anek/Superfast share crossings and from Ancona you can sleep in your van with showers & loos nearby, EHU provided. The autostrada beyond Milan can get very busy and is tedious. Further on to Bari or Brindisi is straight and long and not very interesting. Others have suggested using the route via the west. It is more interesting, varied scenery, historical sites etc but takes longer.
Access to mainland Greece:
Igoumenitsa has the completed Odos Egnatia, well engineered motorway, all the way to Thessaloniki and Alexandroupolis. The main road South via Arta and the Rio-Antirio bridge is good and being slowly converted to motorway. Via Parga and Lefkada is a good road and I hope they are still using the ex ro-ro ferry as a fixed bridge to Lefkada.
Patras has very good roads across to Athens and down the coast of the Peloponnese to Olympia and Mani.
Fuel costs: my fully laden T5 140 diesel averages 37-38mpg on a UK-GR-UK run, including fast cruising on the autobahn and crossing the Alps. Check current fuel prices on the AA website for all European countries. Always fill up in Luxembourg.
Road tolls: France and Italy - websites allow you to calculate based on entry and exit points. Austria has a relatively cheap road tax but charges for tunnels and mountain passes. The OAMTC and government websites have information.
Lots more if you would like - I've been driving to Greece and back most years since 1981.

We have driven to Greece twice. Once crossing from Bari and the other time from Ancona. Both times to Kefalonia as the ferry stops at Sami. Watch out if you collect your ticket at the port as the port office is hard to find and if you miss your ferry its a number of days until the next one!

If your planning to go to Vassiliki I dont think the ferry is running from Fiskardo due to the marina works (if you went the Sami route). We were there in the summer staying at Cosmos (Neilson) windsurfing and had a great time.

Camping overnight on the ferry is great fun and there is even electric hookup - incredible sailing past Corfu whilst having your breakfast in the Cali.

Its cheaper to fly to Preveza but its a lot more fun driving down in the Cali.

Our old Cali on the beach at Vass!

View attachment 52784

We will be visiting Cosmos for our third time next year - our favourite holiday and now we have our Cali Beach we’ve discussed driving and camping so great to find this thread. Where did you camp when in Vass? I know there’s the campsite close to town but unsure of others? Great photo btw

Just back from October in Greece. We used the shuttle, drove via Luxembourg to top up diesel then Fussen and down to Venice, ferry to Igumenitsa then we toured Northern Greece national parks and back through Albania, Montenegro, Croatia, Italy, France etc. Though we were apprehensive about Albania, in the end it was fine, roads and driving were good and people friendly, the downside is 3rd party insurance purchased at the border (50 euros). Same with Montenegro but only 15 Euros! Better if you can arrange comprehensive cover with your UK insurer beforehand. For us, one of our sons and family live near Athens so we met up with them and toured the beautiful mountainous regions and Pelos area. We have driven out before, using our Marco Polo then and Anek on board camping which was good. This time we used Minoan lines and had a cabin at the same price as Anek. If going again, I think we would head for Ancona and use the ferry from there, the Venice ferry this year left at 4.00am though we did arrive the night before and slept in the van whilst waiting to board. We clocked up 4000 miles. On our return, my wife flew back from Venice to Edinburgh (£38) and I drove back through France, doing some VTT's on the way. It is a lot of driving though ACC and 199PS made that enjoyable for me, it was quite an experience and I would recommend it. We wild camped a few times but we mostly used sites and the California was the perfect vehicle. Go for it :)

20191014_134813.jpg20191025_154920.jpg

Last edited:
Just back from October in Greece. We used the shuttle, drove via Luxembourg to top up diesel then Fussen and down to Venice, ferry to Igumenitsa then we toured Northern Greece national parks and back through Albania, Montenegro, Croatia, Italy, France etc. Though we were apprehensive about Albania, in the end it was fine, roads and driving were good and people friendly, the downside is 3rd party insurance purchased at the border (50 euros). Same with Montenegro but only 15 Euros! Better if you can arrange comprehensive cover with your UK insurer beforehand. For us, one of our sons and family live near Athens so we met up with them and toured the beautiful mountainous regions and Pelos area. We have driven out before, using our Marco Polo then and Anek on board camping which was good. This time we used Minoan lines and had a cabin at the same price as Anek. If going again, I think we would head for Ancona and use the ferry from there, the Venice ferry this year left at 4.00am though we did arrive the night before and slept in the van whilst waiting to board. We clocked up 4000 miles. On our return, my wife flew back from Venice to Edinburgh (£38) and I drove back through France, doing some VTT's on the way. It is a lot of driving though ACC and 199PS made that enjoyable for me, it was quite an experience and I would recommend it. We wild camped a few times but we mostly used sites and the California was the perfect vehicle. Go for it :)
That sounds like a fantastic trip.

A regret I have about our year touring Europe was not venturing in to Montenegro, Macedonia, Serbia, Albania and Bosnia. Hopefully they will all still be just as charming in fourteen years time when our youngest is old enough to be abandoned for us to enjoy a sufficiently long period for a decent tour of those countries.

Have been to Montenegro and Albania and very much enjoyed both. Both beautiful, but Albania felt as if we had gone through a time machine. It's the most 'exotic' country I have been through in Europe.'

Have been to Montenegro and Albania and very much enjoyed both. Both beautiful, but Albania felt as if we had gone through a time machine. It's the most 'exotic' country I have been through in Europe.'
I agree with the possible exception of Romania. when we were in Albania, the countryside was teeming with rural activity, and horse drawn carts were almost the norm. A refreshing change from Western Europes' vast fields devoid of activity and though the people were poor, they seemed cheerful, despite their oppressed past. Well worth a visit if you have not been there.

View attachment 52923View attachment 52924
Tom
Did you do a post about your trip ? Sounds very interesting?
Greg

I am currently booking a ‘camping on board’ ferry from Italy to Patras in Greece. Can anyone give advice on the best point of departure: either Venice or Ancona. From past experience these ports can be very busy and I wonder if one or other is a bit easier to negotiate? Many thanks

A good friend drives to Corfu every year, has been for 16 years without fail and has done every route and ferry, he recommends Eurotunnel and Ancona 16 hour ferry

We booked the ferry from Ancona to Patras with Anek Lines using the overnight Camping on Board service. Anek Lines were very helpful, the booking staff spoke excellent English and I would suggest phoning them directly to book. We even joined a French Camping Club to benefit from a generous discount on the booking. The total cost was £400 ish (including a shorter return leg from Igoumenista to Bari. Igoumenista is the port at the top of the Péloponnèse (near Corfu) and Patras is further down. You can mix and match entry/exit points.
I can’t tell you how we got on as we had to cancel due to Covid (our departure was in April). Anek Lines were really good about refunding.
There is a service from Venice.
Also Grimaldi Lines go from Venice. If you book with a Campervan they don’t have Camping on Board but give you a cabin for the price of a recliner seat.
We thought this ferry service made getting to Greece very doable. We are looking forward to going next spring instead.

Back