Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Could VW really have supplied with the wrong tyres fitted ?

hubert72

hubert72

Vehicle
T5 Beach
Sorry for the long story but I'm sure one of you experts could help me with this, my Beach recently went in for it's first service after 2 years, the service manager told me that I will soon be needing two new front tyres as they are getting close to minimum limits.
I started to fish around for prices and noticed that when I put the Reg in various sites none of them seemed to match my tyres exactly. I spoke to a local tyre depot and told them what I had fitted and the guy said it seems I have the wrong tyres fitted to my Beach, he then went on to say that according to some government site my tyres are not correct spec so I would not be covered by insurance in case of any incident.
I panicked a little and thought it warranted further investigation so I rang my insurance company and asked them to explain the tyre situation. They did explain and said that if my tyre was not listed on some site (not sure what it is) then that is correct, they could potentially void a claim.
It was something to do with the loading or speed rating. The guy at the tyre place suggested I go back to VW to complain and demand an explanation, he said they might replace the tyres foc if it is correct.
I told the local VW dealer what they said and he jus said something like "dont worry about it, if the van was supplied with them then you would be covered".

Has anyone heard of this before ? I can't see that VW could fit wrong tyres from new. Surely the tyre place and the insurance company have got mixed up somewhere.

The tyres is have fitted are Good Year 235/55R17 103H

To my knowledge this is correct size. And load rate. I personally use Michelin Latitude cross 235/55 R17 103H XL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That load rating certainly does not sound correct to me.

And for winter I go for something like MICHELIN Agilis Alpin 215 / 60 R17 109 T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

103 IS the correct rating as we are technically a T30 perhaps your fitter though the beach was based on the T32?

Sorry for the long story but I'm sure one of you experts could help me with this, my Beach recently went in for it's first service after 2 years, the service manager told me that I will soon be needing two new front tyres as they are getting close to minimum limits.
I started to fish around for prices and noticed that when I put the Reg in various sites none of them seemed to match my tyres exactly. I spoke to a local tyre depot and told them what I had fitted and the guy said it seems I have the wrong tyres fitted to my Beach, he then went on to say that according to some government site my tyres are not correct spec so I would not be covered by insurance in case of any incident.
I panicked a little and thought it warranted further investigation so I rang my insurance company and asked them to explain the tyre situation. They did explain and said that if my tyre was not listed on some site (not sure what it is) then that is correct, they could potentially void a claim.
It was something to do with the loading or speed rating. The guy at the tyre place suggested I go back to VW to complain and demand an explanation, he said they might replace the tyres foc if it is correct.
I told the local VW dealer what they said and he jus said something like "dont worry about it, if the van was supplied with them then you would be covered".

Has anyone heard of this before ? I can't see that VW could fit wrong tyres from new. Surely the tyre place and the insurance company have got mixed up somewhere.

Those are correct. Have you checked the label on the Drivers side "B" pillar for tyre sizes and pressures applicable to your vehicle.

The Load rating MUST be 103 or above.

The Speed rating MUST be H or above.

Not ALL tyre manufacturers or Tyre suppliers sell ALL grades of tyres.

That is the size I have fitted but the speed rating is "V". I have replaced with the same spec but not make as the one VW supplied. Unless you a re planning on fitting low grade cheap tyres, I don't think your insurance company will be able to challenge a claim but as Welshgas said in his post, check the label on the door pillar. I would be interested to know more about this list of suitable tyres and more importantly which makes the insurance companies don't like.

Goodyear 235 55 R17 103H on mine . B pillar sticker confirms

our 2012 SE 180 came with tyres the same as yours - when I 1st replaced them ordered via Blackcircles but same as you when I went to fitting station being told I need I09's --- the standard on most Cali's at that time was 235/55R17 103H

That is the size I have fitted but the speed rating is "V". I have replaced with the same spec but not make as the one VW supplied. Unless you a re planning on fitting low grade cheap tyres, I don't think your insurance company will be able to challenge a claim but as Welshgas said in his post, check the label on the door pillar. I would be interested to know more about this list of suitable tyres and more importantly which makes the insurance companies don't like.
VW will fit the same or higher Speed/Load rating tyres. Just depends on the contract they have with their supplier, but the size and profile will be the same as detailed on the Label on the "B" pillar.

Ours (a 2015 SE) had V-rated Goodyears fitted from new but as WG and others have said, an H rating is compliant as confirmed by our door sticker.

I think you can safely take the door sticker as authoritative.

Played safe, asked my local tyre dealer to order in exactly what was already fitted from new, it's amazing how many little snippets of different info you pick up from different people. Priced some tyres at Costco, they were the cheapest for the good years but insisted they can't fit just 2 front tyres, if they fit only 2 they have to fit them on the rear, said it's company policy and none negotiable.

Played safe, asked my local tyre dealer to order in exactly what was already fitted from new, it's amazing how many little snippets of different info you pick up from different people. Priced some tyres at Costco, they were the cheapest for the good years but insisted they can't fit just 2 front tyres, if they fit only 2 they have to fit them on the rear, said it's company policy and none negotiable.
Correct. If fitting, for wear, both tyres on the same axel then the new tyres should go on the rear and not the front, even if it is Front Wheel Drive. Otherwise very easy for the rear to lose grip with the resulting consequences not being good.

Correct. If fitting, for wear, both tyres on the same axel then the new tyres should go on the rear and not the front, even if it is Front Wheel Drive. Otherwise very easy for the rear to lose grip with the resulting consequences not being good.
Thanks for the heads up, do you think I should swap the rears and fronts now ? The tears are hardly worn at all, well not compared to the front.

Thanks for the heads up, do you think I should swap the rears and fronts now ? The tears are hardly worn at all, well not compared to the front.
Only swap the rears for the fronts if you then plan to put new tyres on the rear.

I have found tyres wear evenly.

I change my tyres, november through to April, summer to winter, and just replaced my summer tyres and the wear was even all round, so a very satisfying 4 corner renewal.

Doh, I've already had the new ones fitted to the front, think I will swap them round after what you said.
Best had. Only since I've been on here that I've discovered that the new ones should go on the back. When I read it first time I went off to do some research and promptly found I'd been wrong for years.

Mike