Countdown 4 Begins. Scandinavia 2020

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Well it’s that time of year. It might be sunny between the frequent horizontal rain showers but the wind is blowing and it’s cold. Even Max, our mad ginger Tom, only goes outside for the bare minimum and is curled up on my lap.
So, plans for the year. Well, we are going to Copenhagen and Sweden in the autumn as my wife, heavily into running, wants to do the Copenhagen Half Marathon in September and we’ve booked a Hotel close to the Start/Finish.
But I have just over 3 weeks in the diary for my own driving holiday to Norway.
2015 I drove to Knordkapp via Sweden and Finland.
2017 it was Tromso via Sweden and back through Norway via the Lofoten Islands.
2019 I drove round Southern Norway as far north as the Trollsteign.

This year a challenge - Knordkapp via Norway and a return via, well I don’t know depends on how long it takes to get to Knordkapp.

So, ferry Harwich to Hook of Holland booked, fixed date going out flexible for the return. 6th to 31st May.

Red Pennant Holiday Insurance booked. Multi trip this time to cover the autumn trip.

ASCI membership sorted and ASCI app updated for 2020.

My stock of MRE Wet meals updated . Howls of anguish from some Forum members, but I like something simple after a days driving and I do cover some miles each day and can’t be bothered searching out shops/supermarkets but will be buying if I pass one.

Only some Foreign Currency to sort.

Won‘t have to bother about a Green Card or International Driving Licence this time

Van has been serviced , new CrossClimate tyres all round, empty 907 replaced as running on my 904 at present.

Nordkapp again? Wow...

Won't be able to meet you there, we plan to go to Lapland (FI/SE/NO) this year, but only end August/Sepember.

Perhaps we can meet again on your drive up or down NL!

Wow! I remember your post as they were wonderful and some of the bests I read on here and very inspiring! Look forward to read again about your experiences and how it goes this time!

Nordkapp again? Wow...

Won't be able to meet you there, we plan to go to Lapland (FI/SE/NO) this year, but only end August/Sepember.

Perhaps we can meet again on your drive up or down NL!
Would love to. Have to see how things pan out on my return. Same place?

This already sounds interesting. I just hit the Watch button :thumb ... and now the rest of the evening is gone gone gone ... reading up all your old posts. Thank you :thumb

Well it’s that time of year. It might be sunny between the frequent horizontal rain showers but the wind is blowing and it’s cold. Even Max, our mad ginger Tom, only goes outside for the bare minimum and is curled up on my lap.
So, plans for the year. Well, we are going to Copenhagen and Sweden in the autumn as my wife, heavily into running, wants to do the Copenhagen Half Marathon in September and we’ve booked a Hotel close to the Start/Finish.
But I have just over 3 weeks in the diary for my own driving holiday to Norway.
2015 I drove to Knordkapp via Sweden and Finland.
2017 it was Tromso via Sweden and back through Norway via the Lofoten Islands.
2019 I drove round Southern Norway as far north as the Trollsteign.

This year a challenge - Knordkapp via Norway and a return via, well I don’t know depends on how long it takes to get to Knordkapp.

So, ferry Harwich to Hook of Holland booked, fixed date going out flexible for the return. 6th to 31st May.

Red Pennant Holiday Insurance booked. Multi trip this time to cover the autumn trip.

ASCI membership sorted and ASCI app updated for 2020.

My stock of MRE Wet meals updated . Howls of anguish from some Forum members, but I like something simple after a days driving and I do cover some miles each day and can’t be bothered searching out shops/supermarkets but will be buying if I pass one.

Only some Foreign Currency to sort.

Won‘t have to bother about a Green Card or International Driving Licence this time

Van has been serviced , new CrossClimate tyres all round, empty 907 replaced as running on my 904 at present.

Hello WelshGas . We did Nordkapp trip in Sept and October 2018 . We went via the Cali meet in Romo Denmark.

Timing ferry from Hirtshals to Kristiansand 11 Sept leisurely trip via Seljord to the annual Dyrsku’n Fesival ( Norway’s biggest Agricultural show ) . Well worth a visit . Got there a day or two early . Very ,very busy .Camped right at edge of lake ( it was 13 Sept in 2018 ) . Then Bergen Flam , Boyabreen Glacier ( camped right at base overnight ) . Geirangerfjord , Atlantic Road , Trondheim , Arctic Circle Centre,Lofoten Islands, Nordmela , Tromvik , Tromso , Bitavarre , Alta ,Finnmark ( Amazing Lights ) ,Hammerfest ,Skasvag ( Christmas House for King Crab , North Cape ( Nordkapp ) 11 October 2018 so 30 days from Kristiansand . We were driving most days between 50 and 100 miles .

We came back down through Finland ( Saariselka Holiday Club 5 days ) Rovaniemi . Sweden , Umea Stockholm and ‘The Bridge ‘ into Denmark arriving back in Bournemouth 1 Nov .
We used Polar Steps App for trip which worked really well . We have just finally had a book made of our trip and have to say it’s well worth the £70 . What a fantastic trip !

33162CC4-0DB4-4D0F-AAC3-4929F3BE3574.jpeg

CFEF554C-E34B-4528-8B26-3EEE73582BC8.jpeg

Hello WelshGas . We did Nordkapp trip in Sept and October 2018 . We went via the Cali meet in Romo Denmark.

Timing ferry from Hirtshals to Kristiansand 11 Sept leisurely trip via Seljord to the annual Dyrsku’n Fesival ( Norway’s biggest Agricultural show ) . Well worth a visit . Got there a day or two early . Very ,very busy .Camped right at edge of lake ( it was 13 Sept in 2018 ) . Then Bergen Flam , Boyabreen Glacier ( camped right at base overnight ) . Geirangerfjord , Atlantic Road , Trondheim , Arctic Circle Centre,Lofoten Islands, Nordmela , Tromvik , Tromso , Bitavarre , Alta ,Finnmark ( Amazing Lights ) ,Hammerfest ,Skasvag ( Christmas House for King Crab , North Cape ( Nordkapp ) 11 October 2018 so 30 days from Kristiansand . We were driving most days between 50 and 100 miles .

We came back down through Finland ( Saariselka Holiday Club 5 days ) Rovaniemi . Sweden , Umea Stockholm and ‘The Bridge ‘ into Denmark arriving back in Bournemouth 1 Nov .
We used Polar Steps App for trip which worked really well . We have just finally had a book made of our trip and have to say it’s well worth the £70 . What a fantastic trip !

View attachment 54903

View attachment 54904
Almost snap. We did the trip last year, via the tunnel to France, the tunnel Bridge to Sweden, back via Finland etc. I fancy doing it again, via Eastern Europe.IMG_20200208_144107.jpgIMG_20200208_144136.jpg- a book too.

Red Pennant Travel Insurance sorted for the 3 trips this year, Norway being the first and Foreign Exchange sorted.
Just got to wait now. Plenty of trips here and there before then but none across the water.
SatNav programmed for Knordkapp .

You don't really need Norwegian currency. When we paid, in cash for a campsite, the owner said, only tourists use cash, Norwegians use bank cards. Also, no need to se your satnav to Nordkapp, there is only one road there. You can't miss it. We didn't take any Swedish money at all and didn't need any.

You don't really need Norwegian currency. When we paid, in cash for a campsite, the owner said, only tourists use cash, Norwegians use bank cards. Also, no need to se your satnav to Nordkapp, there is only one road there. You can't miss it. We didn't take any Swedish money at all and didn't need any.
In May came across a number of sites that used a honesty box. Fill in form and leave cash, as close as possible as there was no change, in an envelope into a post box, so always take some cash. Then fill up with diesel using cash before leaving country. Has served me well over past 5 years of trips to Scandinavia.
Also a fuel stop in Sweden that due to a problem with payment system we’re taking IOUs for Locals but only cash for passers - by or tourists.

In May came across a number of sites that used a honesty box. Fill in form and leave cash, as close as possible as there was no change, in an envelope into a post box, so always take some cash. Then fill up with diesel using cash before leaving country. Has served me well over past 5 years of trips to Scandinavia.
Also a fuel stop in Sweden that due to a problem with payment system we’re taking IOUs for Locals but only cash for passers - by or tourists.
That's me told.

Well this trip didn’t come off in 2020, nor 2021 but have just swapped this years Stena Line ferry bookings to 2022, so fingers crossed.
I’ve been able to change this booking twice now, and no charge.

Before anyone says “ You’ll be able to go later on in the year. “, I like going in early May, and that won’t be happening this year.

You might be able to go later this year :)

2022 i might meet you around Copenhägen bringing
beer and sausages and to cramp your style :Stig

Well this trip didn’t come off in 2020, nor 2021 but have just swapped this years Stena Line ferry bookings to 2022, so fingers crossed.
I’ve been able to change this booking twice now, and no charge.

Before anyone says “ You’ll be able to go later on in the year. “, I like going in early May, and that won’t be happening this year.
Is this Harwich to Hook of Holland?

We did it via the Tunnel in June 2019. We plan on returning, probably next year too.

Last edited:
Is this Harwich to Hook of Holland?

We did via the Tunnel in June 2019. We plan on returning, probably neext year too.
Yes. Have done the Tunnel as well but prefer the ferry. Overnight sailing going over and daytime on return.

You might be able to go later this year :)

2022 i might meet you around Copenhägen bringing
beer and sausages and to cramp your style :Stig
You’ll have to keep up. :thumb

Well, 2022 is here, Ferry booked for May 2nd, foreign currency has not been used so just the Travel Insurance to be sorted.
Everything looking good on the Covid 19 front and all restrictions in Europe will probably be long gone by May.
The only fly in the ointment is that Mad Man, the senile Putin , and his quest for power. Hopefully he won't be around much longer.
This will be my 4th trip to Scandinavia. This time , straight up Norway to Knordkapp. Want to see what they've done on the E6, lots of major roadworks last time I drove that way and the new suspension bridge at Narvick should be completed . Then, depending on weather meander back along the coast of Norway or possibly Finland and/or Sweden. We shall see.

Hope all goes well, I was planning similar trip up to Denmark and maybe Norway but will be waiting to see what happens with this conflict.

Well, 2022 is here, Ferry booked for May 2nd, foreign currency has not been used so just the Travel Insurance to be sorted.
Everything looking good on the Covid 19 front and all restrictions in Europe will probably be long gone by May.
The only fly in the ointment is that Mad Man, the senile Putin , and his quest for power. Hopefully he won't be around much longer.
This will be my 4th trip to Scandinavia. This time , straight up Norway to Knordkapp. Want to see what they've done on the E6, lots of major roadworks last time I drove that way and the new suspension bridge at Narvick should be completed . Then, depending on weather meander back along the coast of Norway or possibly Finland and/or Sweden. We shall see.
Excellent stuff. We won't be far behind. Are you taking the ferry to Holland? We went over the suspension bridge a couple of years ago. Funny I was just talking about Narvik (nice place) this morning to my brother is going up to Nordkapp this year too.

Excellent stuff. We won't be far behind. Are you taking the ferry to Holland? We went over the suspension bridge a couple of years ago. Funny I was just talking about Narvik (nice place) this morning to my brother is going up to Nordkapp this year too.
Yes, overnight Harwich to Hook of Holland.
Also you can buy a 30 day discounted return crossing on the Oresund Bridge, from the website.

Also you can buy a 30 day discounted return crossing on the Oresund Bridge, from the website.
Thanks. We did the tunnel/bridge last time. We might just do Norway this time (Lofoten Islands) You have been to Nordkapp before haven't you. We did it in 2019. Having said that, it is a fantastic drive up there. So wild.

I have just been checking the Covid rules as of today.

Holland - NHS Pass and Negative PCR 48 hrs before leaving UK.
Germany and Denmark - only the NHS Pass.
Norway, Sweden - nothing
Finland - NHS Pass

I assume a lot of border are unmanned anyway.

I have just been checking the Covid rules as of today.

Holland - NHS Pass and Negative PCR 48 hrs before leaving UK.
Germany and Denmark - only the NHS Pass.
Norway, Sweden - nothing
Finland - NHS Pass

I assume a lot of border are unmanned anyway.
Hopefully the PCR test will be gone in 2 months time.

Thanks. We did the tunnel/bridge last time. We might just do Norway this time (Lofoten Islands) You have been to Nordkapp before haven't you. We did it in 2019. Having said that, it is a fantastic drive up there. So wild.
Yes, Countdown 2 details my visit to the Lofoten Islands. Very busy in the height of the holiday season I gather.