Countdown begins!

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Well, just 12 days until I depart on my trip to Nordkapp - 5,000 mile return trip according to Garmin Basecamp.
South Wales - Folkeston - Euroshuttle - Calais - Belgium - Germany - Denmark - The Bridge - Sweden - Finland - Norway - Nordkapp and then a leisurely return via the Euroshuttle. 19 days in total.

Check list completed.
1 Passport
2 E111 sorted
3 Car Insurance informed
4 Travel Insurance sorted
5 Bank Cards registered for Western Europe & Scandinavia
6 Currency ordered , didn't realise that Denmark/Sweden/Norway are not part of the Eurozone - sensible people. ( The Bridge toll can be paid by card/Danish or Swedish currency or Euros but not sure if the California is classed as a car, as it is less than 6m, or Motorhome - We'll see )
7 Basic food stuffs sorted ( Have 1 Expedition Meal/day sorted so I don't have to spend time shopping unnecessarily .)
8 Sound system loaded up
9 Satnav loaded with Campsite data from ACSI and Archies website, as I have not booked anywhere - intend to do about 300 miles/day then look for a campsite either ACSI registered or via Archies.

Just need to Wash and check over The Van and load up.

Would be interested how your iBoost WiFi system goes on your travels we are trying to work out a regular internet connection for us that wont break the bank and is reliable.

Have a great trip, look forward to some pics and info, all the best.

Yes have a safe and great adventure:thumb

Have a good holiday, looking forward to hearing about it as we are thinking about going to see the midnight sun next year.

We will be leaving begin of june to Norway probaly take the ferry high in Denmark then gonna follow the coastline up north , we will see how high we go ...
We got three weeks.
Please try to post any usefull info here WelchGas ,
Have a good and safe trip! ...

Last edited:
Well, just 12 days until I depart on my trip to Nordkapp - 5,000 mile return trip according to Garmin Basecamp.
South Wales - Folkeston - Euroshuttle - Calais - Belgium - Germany - Denmark - The Bridge - Sweden - Finland - Norway - Nordkapp and then a leisurely return via the Euroshuttle. 19 days in total.

Check list completed.
1 Passport
2 E111 sorted
3 Car Insurance informed
6 Currency ordered , didn't realise that Denmark/Sweden/Norway are not part of the Eurozone - sensible people. ( The Bridge toll can be paid by card/Danish or Swedish currency or Euros but not sure if the California is classed as a car, as it is less than 6m, or Motorhome - We'll see )
7 Basic food stuffs sorted ( Have 1 Expedition Meal/day sorted so I don't have to spend time shopping unnecessarily .)
8 Sound system loaded up
9 Satnav loaded with Campsite data from ACSI and Archies website, as I have not booked anywhere - intend to do about 300 miles/day then look for a campsite either ACSI registered or via Archies.

Will be a few days behind you, Dover - Dunkirk 21st May then head to Denmark. bridge to Sweden then up to Norway
Atlantic Road
Lofoten Islands
Nordkapp

We have 45 days in total

Was last in Norway 20 years ago when Newcastle - Bergen ferry was operating

Anybody know if euros are "widely" accepted in Denmark and Sweden if not will have to guess on what local currency to buy for the short time we will be passing through. Credit cards do the major purchases but still need a little cash

We're off to Scandanavia in September for a 20 night trip, our California Beach plus 2 x California SE's on hire from Bognor. We're really hoping the Regina Lines ferry (Harwich to Esjberg) will have come into operation by then.
We'll look forward to reading all of your trip details to glean any decent info that we can!

Check list completed.
1 Passport
2 E111 sorted
3 Car Insurance informed
8 Sound system loaded up

Good luck have a safe & enjoyable trip...

Take care with kamikaze elk in south Sweden lurking at dusk to rush out of the trees and across the road..... Further north the task of driver stress is handed over to reindeer who like to lie in the middle of the road when it has warmed up..... Often after a bend and occasionally in the tens or even hundreds! Other than that ensure you have your mozzie nets fitted. Also in the far north, if you pass a gas station with diesel do a fill to full...... There may not be anything for several hundred miles and then maybe just petrol and ethanol! Have fun, must get up there again soon

Thank you all. Hope to be camped up by dusk enjoying a glass of Duty Free. Mozzies and other biting insects don't seem to like me, Scotland, Amazon, Far East all bite free.
Have got one of those plugin insect repellent things which worked well keeping our previous holiday stays insect free in the rooms, even in the Amazon where they come in large Squadrons.
As far as Diesel is concerned, if a Land Rover Defender can manage the trip with only 400miles max per tank the VW should have no problem. In fact ther is what seems to be a VW in the car park today.
H
http://nordkapp.borealiswebcam360.com

image.jpg

Is it snow the whole year on the roads up north?
Are wintertyers a must if you stay in the south and midlle of Norway? Mine are still mounted so could well leave them on for my trip in june....

Oh Dear. The road and car park at Nordkapp have seemed to have disappeared under the snow.
Think I'll pack my folding shovel as well.

Yep , sinds this afthernoon it had powderd a bit ....i see a diffrence.
Seems the place is empty at evening , is it forbidden to spent the night there...?

Yep , sinds this afthernoon it had powderd a bit ....i see a diffrence.
Seems the place is empty at evening , is it forbidden to spent the night there...?

Hey there, I didn't recognise you at first, you have a new picture. Was worried there, thought you had gone away. I enjoy you posts so much!:)

I have yet to learn how to put on a picture! Soon . . . .

Look forward to reading your posts on this, have great trip, wish I was going:thumb

Hey there, I didn't recognise you at first, you have a new picture. Was worried there, thought you had gone away. I enjoy you posts so much!:)

I have yet to learn how to put on a picture! Soon . . . .

Been in France the last two weeks:)
Next trip goes to Norway , thats why this topic has got my attention.
Placing a avatar is easy , just tap on your nickname on top of the page and change your details as you wish...
Better to discus this in an other topic , it's all about Norw ay here;)

A lot of snow has fallen overnight. But some, what seem like T5 sized campers and a Snowplough in the Carpark as well as a coach. Never mind. According to the long range weather forcast it gets warmer and sunnier over the next 2 weeks so should be OK by the time I'll be there.

Yes, a lot of snow there today. I looked at the webcam last night maybe around midnight, it was still bright enough. There were 2 coaches parked, but no Californias.

Good luck with the journey, it is significant indeed, but you have your research done and all should be well. Many years ago myself and my then boyfriend (now husband) attempted pedalling our way to the land of the midnight sun. After 3 days on the main road going up there in Norway, and after a few unpleasant experiences of being almost blown off the road by huge trucks, we headed into the fjord instead, and had a real holiday.

Sunny today. Sorted the currency and did my final shopping. Also marked the satnav route in my mapbook.
Thanks for everyone's comments. Will try a post/ day and photos if I have a connection.

This is the route plotted out on Garmin Basecamp. Hope the RNS510 follows it approximately.
I'm taking my Garmin just in case.

Screen Shot 2015-05-05 at 20.03.29.jpg

Interesting route, what ferry are you getting from Germany?

Look forward to your blog Welshgas have a great time and safe journey.