Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Couple of Cali Newbie questions and problem? Maybe?

S

Steve McHale

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi All,

I'm loving my new Cali and am very excited to be on a long trip following the UK coastline. I have a three newbie queries I'm hoping you can help with.

Firstly, when closing the roof should the roof blinds be open or closed? I know windows need to be open.

Secondly, I have installed the roof bungee. When the roof is fully open the bungee creates creases in the corners of the material (picture attached). Is this the norm or do I have the bungee way too tight?

Third and finally, I drive to a campsite and my leisure battery is showing fully charged. I hook up to electric and the little plug appears on the control panel. When I disconnect the hook up (after a day or two), my leisure battery is showing half depleted!! Should the hook up not keep the leisure battery charged?

Really appreciate any guidance given.

Kind Regards

Steve

20170315_170606[760].jpg

Firstly, when closing the roof should the roof blinds be open or closed? I know windows need to be open.

Open, to let the air escape from the upper area into main body of van, then out a door/window. Very important.

(This is assuming by 'roof blinds' you mean the roller shutter above the sdriver/passenger seat? If you meant the 'windows' in the bellows fabric, they should be closed to avoid any damage.)

Secondly, I have installed the roof bungee. When the roof is fully open the bungee creates creases in the corners of the material (picture attached). Is this the norm or do I have the bungee way too tight?

Looks fine to me. About how I have mine.

Third and finally, I drive to a campsite and my leisure battery is showing fully charged. I hook up to electric and the little plug appears on the control panel. When I disconnect the hook up (after a day or two), my leisure battery is showing half depleted!! Should the hook up not keep the leisure battery charged?

Looks like an issue, others on here can recommend a diagnostic/troubleshooting protocol.

Climb in the boot under rear self and open the little hatch you see on the left. just above the battery there is the charger unit (black case with heatsink on sides) look down the left hand side and check that the IEC cable (kettle plug) is firmly pushed in..

The canvas in the roof has net vents at the top. Air escapes through the vents and through the canvas. It comes down very slowly. I never worry about whether there's a door or a window open. In fact, I've never given any thought to where the displaced air is going.
Part-way down the roof motor stops to provide an opportunity to check the canvas is folding correctly. At this point, the bungee does its stuff and you can see the canvas getting nicely pulled in. An excellent idea.

The canvas in the roof has net vents at the top. Air escapes through the vents and through the canvas. It comes down very slowly. I never worry about whether there's a door or a window open. In fact, I've never given any thought to where the displaced air is going.
Part-way down the roof motor stops to provide an opportunity to check the canvas is folding correctly. At this point, the bungee does its stuff and you can see the canvas getting nicely pulled in. An excellent idea.
Even the Handbook says to open a window or door. Your choice of course. Best of luck.:thumb

I figured someone would say that. :)

Are you 'switching the switch' in the rear cupboard when you hook up?

Are you 'switching the switch' in the rear cupboard when you hook up?

Never done that with your T5 and our new T6 Ocean. Never had any problems so far.

I would say the bungee could be loosened a little