Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Coupling box and WLAN

samdb

samdb

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Has anyone worked out how to use the coupling box and WLAN on the Ocean (factory options: Discover Media Navigation system plus + Bluetooth handsfree set with coupling box and WLAN)? From what I've read it seems to be a very convenient way to improve the reception of your mobile phone when placed in the 'coupling box' but quite how this works is beyond me.

And I had assumed the WLAN part of this option allowed the Cali to act as a mobile WiFi hotspot, but where does the SIM go?? I can make my phone a WiFi hotspot and connect it to the Cali, but that disables the 'mobile hotspot' setting (and quite frankly is pointless anyway as my phone is a perfectly adequate hotspot!).

Chris H, I saw you posted the same kind of question in beginners, so widening it out to the T6 Discussion forum. I stole your pic too :)

coupling_box.jpg

I've copied and pasted this from an earlier thread as this is the answer I got from VW when I enquired with them.

This is the reply I have received from VW following an online query I submitted.

I have discussed your query regarding the option
9ZE; Bluetooth hands free set with coupling box and Wi-Fi, with our Product Marketing Team.

They have advised that this option features an optional mobile interface “comfort” including inductive aerial link, exterior aerial connection and separate USB interface. This feature boosts the phone signal for compatible phones without the need to plug a lead into the phone. The mobile phone is stored in the convenience cradle in a compartment in the centre console.

Use of the Wifi requires a separate SIM and SIM USB stick to operate – alternatively it is possible to use a hotspot from for example the customer’s smart phone. If taking the ZI8 Discovery Navigation 'Plus' option there is no requirement to select this
feature.

I haven't got my Cali yet and was stupidly relying on it being obvious by the time I did. Obviously not! Hope this helps.

Mike

Last edited:
I am guessing but it appears to be saying that the phone sits in the compartment and a SIM USB stick is plugged into the USB.

It's all beyond me

Mike

Use of the Wifi requires a separate SIM and SIM USB stick to operate – alternatively it is possible to use a hotspot from for example the customer’s smart phone. If taking the ZI8 Discovery Navigation 'Plus' option there is no requirement to select this
feature.
What I read from that is that you need a special USB device that the SIM card goes into, I would assume that would be supplied if you have ordered that option, if not, it may be something that has to be purchased separately.

What I read from that is that you need a special USB device that the SIM card goes into, I would assume that would be supplied if you have ordered that option, if not, it may be something that has to be purchased separately.
Yep agreed. They sell them on Amazon.

Screen Shot 2016-04-04 at 09.31.29.jpg

The 9ZE option was included in my Ocean order at no cost apparently as part of the Digital Voice Enhancement (DVE) option I had selected. It was a surprise to me, but then the whole option selection process is amazingly opaque and seems specifically designed to confuse and disappoint.

Has anyone worked out how to use the coupling box and WLAN on the Ocean (factory options: Discover Media Navigation system plus + Bluetooth handsfree set with coupling box and WLAN)? From what I've read it seems to be a very convenient way to improve the reception of your mobile phone when placed in the 'coupling box' but quite how this works is beyond me.

And I had assumed the WLAN part of this option allowed the Cali to act as a mobile WiFi hotspot, but where does the SIM go?? I can make my phone a WiFi hotspot and connect it to the Cali, but that disables the 'mobile hotspot' setting (and quite frankly is pointless anyway as my phone is a perfectly adequate hotspot!).

Chris H, I saw you posted the same kind of question in beginners, so widening it out to the T6 Discussion forum. I stole your pic too :)

View attachment 13020
So we are there I think. You should therefore I hope be getting an improved signal when your phone is in the compartment and you are already connecting it to the Cali. When you do that it disables the 'mobile hotspot'.

So it looks like you could just plug in a USB stick with sim and this would provide the networking to your Cali without the phone.

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Devices/ZTE/MF730M?memory=0&colour=Black

I am guessing but it appears to be saying that the phone sits in the compartment and a SIM USB stick is plugged into the USB.

It's all beyond me

Mike
I have this option and I am as confused as everyone else on this subject and my lack of technical knowledge is really frustrating.
I was at the meet this weekend and quite a few members had a mifi device which enabled them to connect several devices within the Cali to wifi.
Reading through the discover media manual it refers to being able to purchase a VW Car Stick together with a suitable sim which appears (and again I really am not sure) to achieve the same thing when connected to the USB port. Having googled VW Car Stick it seems to confirm this but does anyone have any idea if this is the case?

Mr Confused of Tewkesbury!!

I've copied and pasted this from an earlier thread as this is the answer I got from VW when I enquired with them.

This is the reply I have received from VW following an online query I submitted.

I have discussed your query regarding the option
9ZE; Bluetooth hands free set with coupling box and Wi-Fi, with our Product Marketing Team.

If taking the ZI8 Discovery Navigation 'Plus' option there is no requirement to select this
feature.

Mike
Mike, just to add a mother twist to your sleuthing. I ordered ZI8 - Discover Media Navigation System Plus. On receipt of my vehicle the dealer has added 9IF Bluetooth Handsfree set with Coupling box and WLAN.

On questioning this, he informed me the latter was required for the former to operate and as they hadn't known this when I ordered they have included the WLAN pack for free.

However, your message from VW above implies that this was not necessary...

I have this option and I am as confused as everyone else on this subject and my lack of technical knowledge is really frustrating.
I was at the meet this weekend and quite a few members had a mifi device which enabled them to connect several devices within the Cali to wifi.
Reading through the discover media manual it refers to being able to purchase a VW Car Stick together with a suitable sim which appears (and again I really am not sure) to achieve the same thing when connected to the USB port. Having googled VW Car Stick it seems to confirm this but does anyone have any idea if this is the case?

Mr Confused of Tewkesbury!!
I haven't got this option so haven't played with or tested it. But - my reading of the VW response is that the option does two things - but only 1 at a time. So you can either

- use a SIM stick to create a data connection for the car. There is mention of a VW SIM stick so I don't know whether a standard Three one would work or you have to fork out to VW. The stick then creates a data networking connection for the car which 'powers' the wifi hotspot that is built in.

or

Use your phone for data by plugging it into the USB. Putting your phone in the Comfort compartment apparently provides an induction coupling to an aerial built into the vehicle. I presume that in this case the phone provides the data connection to the vehicle. But if this disables the built in wifi hotspot then you would have to use your phone as a hotspot! So in this instance the only thing you gain is improved signal through the coupled aerial.

I made a conscious decision to minimise the comms / navigation options built into the vehicle because my phone seems to do the job pretty well - and because my option list had got a bit silly!

Good luck. :thumb

Last edited:
As per Post 8 Nick. As I see it that is. Basically Samdb Post 1 mentioned that he could connect his phone to the Cali and make it a wireless hotspot. He then referred to it disabling the 'mobile hotspot'.

Again as I see it and I haven't got my Cali to test this makes sense. The discover media plus can use the data connection but only from one source. In this instance the phone. Now if you don't wish to use a phone you can get a USB stick with a data sim and connect that way.

For me this is a no brainer as I have a contract with unlimited data so shall use my phone. If you don't and want the features, whatever they are, of having a data feed you can get the USB. Cost will then depend on the package you get.

Hopefully someone who has this and already has a suitable dongle/USB can test it.

Edit. Beaten by DM but it appears we Agee.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike, just to add a mother twist to your sleuthing. I ordered ZI8 - Discover Media Navigation System Plus. On receipt of my vehicle the dealer has added 9IF Bluetooth Handsfree set with Coupling box and WLAN.

On questioning this, he informed me the latter was required for the former to operate and as they hadn't known this when I ordered they have included the WLAN pack for free.

However, your message from VW above implies that this was not necessary...
Yep I picked up on that because my dealer also told me it was required. Fortunately I was having it anyway so it's ok. Thanks.

hi I got a vw car connect usb stick of ebay and used a spare 3 data sim I had and can confirm I can plug it in ether usb port and it works. I get carnet and other internet enabled services and can then make a hotspot in the van as well. Thus not requiring a phone as a hotspot. The stick was only £40 brand new so was worth trying out. My thinking is have some data sims from different networks and if I don't get internet on my phone I could then try the others and then load it up with data when needed.

mind you still don't know if the coupling box is working or not or if it's only certain makes of phones. I take it everyone else's looks like the above pic of mine.

Hi all, thanks a lot for the great info. I've decided to go down the USB dongle route too, and have ordered this from Amazon tonight:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00J4E20GK/?tag=eliteelect-21

It's a 3G dongle with 1gb of preloaded data for £8. The good thing about using 3's network is that it works in Europe at same cost/usage rate as in UK. I'm not going to use the van as a WiFi hotspot, so think I'll get away with relatively low amounts of data, but will be invaluable for the Internet-connected traffic updates and online POI searches.

I'll update this thread with how I get on in next couple of days.

mind you still don't know if the coupling box is working or not or if it's only certain makes of phones. I take it everyone else's looks like the above pic of mine.
I'm still not quite understanding this, but if I understand correctly, if you use the car stick the vans discover media becomes the hotspot and other things like IPhones, iPads and laptops can connect to it thus making similar if not the same as a mi-fi system. What do you think Chris

Hi all, thanks a lot for the great info. I've decided to go down the USB dongle route too, and have ordered this from Amazon tonight:

It's a 3G dongle with 1gb of preloaded data for £8. The good thing about using 3's network is that it works in Europe at same cost/usage rate as in UK. I'm not going to use the van as a WiFi hotspot, so think I'll get away with relatively low amounts of data, but will be invaluable for the Internet-connected traffic updates and online POI searches.

Good stuff as that is going to be my option when I get mine. Been with 3 for years and been great. Just got notified this week that they are discontinuing my contract. I was on all you can eat data, texts and calls for £15 a month and they gave me the option of new similar package for £33 with £3 loyalty discount. I found one for £20 which only reduces the calls to 200 mins a month which is plenty for me. I mention this as 3 are notifying all customers on the same contract. Look forward to the update

hi I got a vw car connect usb stick of ebay and used a spare 3 data sim I had and can confirm I can plug it in ether usb port and it works. I get carnet and other internet enabled services and can then make a hotspot in the van as well. Thus not requiring a phone as a hotspot. The stick was only £40 brand new so was worth trying out. My thinking is have some data sims from different networks and if I don't get internet on my phone I could then try the others and then load it up with data when needed.
Quick ? Chris. You say you got a VW car connect stick. Is this different from a normal USB sim like the one Samdb got. I'm presuming it must be by the price.

Good stuff as that is going to be my option when I get mine. Been with 3 for years and been great. Just got notified this week that they are discontinuing my contract. I was on all you can eat data, texts and calls for £15 a month and they gave me the option of new similar package for £33 with £3 loyalty discount. I found one for £20 which only reduces the calls to 200 mins a month which is plenty for me. I mention this as 3 are notifying all customers on the same contract. Look forward to the update

Hi
I'm guessuing you were on the One Plan which gave unlimited tethering. Three did the same to me but now the tethering limit is 12Gb/month.

So if your phone is up to it it can be used as a hotspot up to 12Gb/month limit. Once you hit it it simply stops but you still have unlimited data.

Apologies if this is old news.

Hi
I'm guessuing you were on the One Plan which gave unlimited tethering. Three did the same to me but now the tethering limit is 12Gb/month.

So if your phone is up to it it can be used as a hotspot up to 12Gb/month limit. Once you hit it it simply stops but you still have unlimited data.

Apologies if this is old news.
Forgot to check the tethering but not something I use a lot. So just did.
New contract limit from 2/9/2015 if on monthly AYCE data is 12 GB.
Contract taken out after 31/3/2016 limit is 30GB. If you need it i suspect they will up yours to the 30GB with a phone call.

yes the one I got is the genuine vw crabstick you just add your own sim. Then plug it in one of the usb ports. But in the comfort box it sticks out so you can't shut the door so I put it in the top port and use a small usb extension cable. You then set up your hotspot info or keep defaults. As soon as it powers on it connects. Also give you a total and session data use so will see how much it's using. Have uploaded poi's via carnet and that all works as well.

yes the one I got is the genuine vw crabstick you just add your own sim. Then plug it in one of the usb ports. But in the comfort box it sticks out so you can't shut the door so I put it in the top port and use a small usb extension cable. You then set up your hotspot info or keep defaults. As soon as it powers on it connects. Also give you a total and session data use so will see how much it's using. Have uploaded poi's via carnet and that all works as well.
Thanks. Sounds good. If you have a link can you post it as having trouble finding them.

Im keen to hear if this works, as £8 is much better than £60 from VW!

Back