• Start date
OllieCollieCali

OllieCollieCali

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
Hi All,
Happy New Year!
Wonder if anyone may be able to point me in the right direction please?
On my T5 all of the interior courtesy lights have stopped working. The rocker switch by the rear view mirror doesnt do anything, and the spot lights dont work, plus the step lights. I also have a problem with the drivers door lock not always locking / unlocking with the remote, which I think may be connected with the lights?? Both seemed to start around the same time a couple of months ago.
The door lock works better with the key.
I unlocked the van earlier today and all of the lights magically started working! but when I locked and unlocked the van again they have stopped again.

Does anyone know where I can start looking for the fault? Would it be a lazy / sticky lock causing the problem and need a new lock fitting? Or could it be an electrical fault somewhere? You can hear the lock trying to lock and unlock, but doesnt always move. The lights dont come on when you open any of the doors.

Thanks in advance!

Graeme

I suggest test with all three doors and report back?

Maybe try disconnect the starter battery, leave it a couple of minutes and keep your fingers crossed the electronic wizardry resets once reconnected.

Hi All,
Happy New Year!
Wonder if anyone may be able to point me in the right direction please?
On my T5 all of the interior courtesy lights have stopped working. The rocker switch by the rear view mirror doesnt do anything, and the spot lights dont work, plus the step lights. I also have a problem with the drivers door lock not always locking / unlocking with the remote, which I think may be connected with the lights?? Both seemed to start around the same time a couple of months ago.
The door lock works better with the key.
I unlocked the van earlier today and all of the lights magically started working! but when I locked and unlocked the van again they have stopped again.

Does anyone know where I can start looking for the fault? Would it be a lazy / sticky lock causing the problem and need a new lock fitting? Or could it be an electrical fault somewhere? You can hear the lock trying to lock and unlock, but doesnt always move. The lights dont come on when you open any of the doors.

Thanks in advance!

Graeme
What year and model is it please?

Its a 2006 2.5 T30 and had the full california Ocean conversion.

Just been out and the lights dont work on any of the other doors.

Also disconnected the battery for 40 minutes and still nothing unfortunately.

Is it a genuine california.
Do the lights work when operated manually?
It apparently originated as a Caravelle, but had a full professional california conversion a couple of years later. Although I would imagine all the courtesy lights are the same for all transporters?
All the rear passenger lights work as normal, its just the ones by the rear view mirror and door steps that arent.

Full OEM manuals including wiring diagrams here https://cardiagn.com/volkswagen-transporter-2003-2007-workshop-manuals-wiring-diagrams/

You may have to type the address in https://cardiagn.com and work down 'Make' 'Model' as appropriate.

The switch that signals door open or closed is within the lock mechanism.
Thanks for the links, Ill take a look, its quite possible it could be a dodgy lock mechanism by the sounds of it as the lock on the drivers side isnt working correctly. All other locks and doors work as they should but assume if the drivers door lock isnt engaging properly it will still affect the lights.

I'm very ignorant about all these things. Just thinking about a problem my wife has had with her VW Golf: the tiny battery in the key itself runs out. You know about it, because it tells you on the dashboard panel. But that doesn't happen on an old Cali. Just a crazy idea! Never happened with my 2008 Cali key though!