Cover for VW Comfort Mattress

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Do you, or can you make a light weight slip on cover for the VW Comfort mattress for when it is folded up on the rear shelf, specifically for the California SE?

Hi there,

We don't currently make a cover but lots and lots of folks have been asking us to.

If someone would be willing to borrow us their mattress I'll be glad to make one up :thumb

Cheers
Nick

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I will not take delivery until December of my California etc: and live in S Wales. However I could take photos and measurements when I am in procession of the mattress and purchase the prototype come what may, if that is acceptable?

I would be interested in buying a cover for the comfort mattress also if you are able to manufacture

Any news on this? Another potential customer, would love this to work so the mattress is always covered, when down and folded up too.

I'll keep you update folks, I have one in our factory to work with at the moment.

It will however be a protective cover whilst in storage ( on the parcel shelf).

I think we'll need to design two versions if there's a need for a cover when its in bed mode :thumb

Cheers
Nick

comfortz said:
I'll keep you update folks, I have one in our factory to work with at the moment.

It will however be a protective cover whilst in storage ( on the parcel shelf).

I think we'll need to design two versions if there's a need for a cover when its in bed mode :thumb

Cheers
Nick

Hey Nick,

Good news, though I wouldn't want to remove the cover and put on another one when the bed is down.

Think the issue is, that the rear mattress isn't flat when stored, so not sure how this would all work?

Hmm, will leave it up to you :)

Cheers

Just a quick update; After reading everyone's comments and talking to a couple of folks we've decided on the solution of a full cover for the mattress . So it can stop covered in bed mode too. There will be two options a hard wearing fabric cover and a waterproof cover for folks who want a little more protection for muddy campsites, small children and pets etc. I'll keep you updated on the progress.

Thanks for all the feedback fols :thumb

Cheers
Nick

comfortz said:
Just a quick update; After reading everyone's comments and talking to a couple of folks we've decided on the solution of a full cover for the mattress . So it can stop covered in bed mode too. There will be two options a hard wearing fabric cover and a waterproof cover for folks who want a little more protection for muddy campsites, small children and pets etc. I'll keep you updated on the progress.

Thanks for all the feedback fols :thumb

Cheers
Nick

:D :D

I'd like to thank Brian (briwy) for loaning us his comfort mattress - We've finished the prototype cover and we are very happy with it. Brian of course will receive the prototype - but I'd like another 2 x volunteers to take one of these off of us whoare willing to give it a try, feedback and take some photo's for the forum and our website - There's a free cover in it for anyone who is willing to help. There will be 1 x fabric cover and 1 x waterproof cover as these will be the options we'll be offering.

Please PM me your address details and the first two messages received will be our two volunteers :)

Cheers
Nick

Hi nick
wish if checked the forum earlier
just read this sat in the van waiting for the ferry at portsmouth I could have picked it up on the way down
looking forward to seeing it
have to try it out in a few weeks in the lakes
cheers brian

PM sent in hope. :goodone

Hi folks,

A couple of prototypes have gone out in the post today so hopefully we should have a couple of photo's posted soon - thanks to everyone who has helped - I really appreciate it :thumb

Pricing wise the covers will be -

£79.99 - Material (Black / light Grey)
£99.99 - Waterproof 500 denier fabric (Black & light Grey)

With and extra 10% savings to VIP members

I'll add them to our website once I get all the feedback and pictures back.

Cheers
Nick

Cover arrived today. This was the Cloth cover not the Waterproof cover.
Well made of a thicker material than the original VW mattress cover, so good protection.
It was obvious how to fit the cover, as there is an opening on the bottom of the cover 1/3 of the way along. The thick piece of the VW mattress slides in easily one side and then the 2 thinner pieces slide into the other end if that makes sense.
Definitely not something to do in the van as you need some room to wrestle with the mattress and cover, but not too difficult in the end.
Fits well and folds up for storage almost as well as the uncovered mattress does, but as you can see in the photos it does curl upwards a bit but only marginal and flattens easily when something is placed on it and I think this will settle with use as the fabric stretches a little.
It is a very good colour match and just what is needed to protect the original mattress.

* * * * * Excellent accessory. Especially at the proposed cost.

:goodone :goodone :goodone :goodone :goodone

VW Mattress stored.jpg VW Matress deployed.jpg Comfortz Cover stored.jpg Comfortz Cover deployed.jpg Comfortz Cover.jpg

Thanks Greg :thumb I appreciate the photo's.

These covers are now available on our website here --> http://comfortzleisure.webeden.co.uk/#/parcel-shelf-california/4575864241

For an extra £10 There's also the option to have a custom cover made (material covers only) in a small amount of colours - ie - blue, red, green etc. This will be subject to availability and time. Please get in touch if you're interested.

I'll upload some pictures of the waterproof cover shortly.

Thank you again to the folks who have help out on this project :thumb

Cheers,
Nick

Hi. I have just finished trying the waterproof version of the new Comfortz mattress cover.
I would first like to say that I do not have the VW comfort mattress but the Brandrup version.

I managed to get it on, it is very snug, but seeing as the cover was never designed for this setup its a remarkably good fit.

Both the feel look of the cover are excellent.

With the Brandrup, the standard rear short VW mattress is retained and the Brandrup is a full length topper. Inserting the Brandrup mattress into the Confortz cover is very simple, you then need to also insert the VW short mattress into the rear pocket of the cover. This is tight but easy enough to do. I fitted the whole cover without needing to remove the mattress from the van.

The Brandrup mattress must however have slightly different dimentions especially at the rear drivers side corner. This causes the mattress to not properly fit the cover as can be seen in the pictures below. As this seems to be a minor fit issue, I will leave it on. I want to see if the memory foam conforms better to the cover with a little time.

Nick has said that adjustments to the fit could be made at his factory to accommodate this.

Many thanks to Nick at Confortz for giving me the chance to try this. I will update this post when we next sleep on the lower bed, to let you all know how it feels.

Cover looks great and very practical
mattress%20protector1.jpg

Tight fit in rear offside corner, but looks better since this picture taken.
mattress%20protector2.jpg

Fit is fine in other corners.
mattress%20protector3.jpg

Looks so much better than the blanket I had thrown over the mattress before.
mattress%20protector4.jpg

Just received this great new mattress protector for the 'Comfort' mattress in grey non-waterproof car upholstery fabric from Nick at Comfortz Leisure. We also took the opportunity to order the waterproof version that Nick makes for the roof mattress and are very pleased with both. The quality, design and appearance are all excellent. We are yet to fit them as the van doesn't arrive until next month, but I've no doubt they will be easy to put on, a great fit, look good and keep both mattresses well protected for years.

Thanks again Nick for more of your great products for the Cali from Comfortz Leisure. So quick and easy to order. We will provide an update once we fit them, but would highly recommend Nick and the team at Comfortz Leisure if you would like to order excellent quality products for the Cali. We also have the Cali Topper and Thermal Windscreen Cover. These were superb to use on the Cali we hired last year.

Last edited:
image.jpg
When we first bought our Cali last year, we promptly purchased Inka covers to protect everything...only to find that the mattress cover didn't fit the Comfort Mattress (oops, newbie error! Which they promptly refunded us for!)
So we were very excited to see that Nick had developed a waterproof cover for the comfort mattress!
We ordered one straight away, 2 Muddy Cali dogs had made us very nervous when camping!
Cover fits very well, it was easier to put on the mattress in the house. It fits nice and snugly but still allows the mattress to be folded easily. Doesn't affect the comfort of sleeping at all.
Well done to Nick for developing an excellent, high quality, affordable cover. The waterproof material is essential for us!
We can now enjoy our trips with no worries, including the dogs!
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
We are yet to fit them as the van doesn't arrive until next month, but I've no doubt they we be easy to put on, a great fit, look good and keep both mattresses well protected for years

Hi T&T did you guys get a chance to try and fit the non waterproof version? How did it fit, feel and look like? any pics would be great too. I know the guys above has posted pics but thats the water proof version.

Last edited:
Nice one thanks! do you sleep straight on it or put a sheet over. I'm off to spain again in mine this year and really concerned about the sticky/sweaty ness of the Comfort Mattress and the covers. I presently just put a flat sheet over but its a faff and comes untucked easily. I wish someone made a fitted sheet that fitted the comfort mattress. I did email Comfortz today to what that can come up with. Brandrup do one for the lower bed but I understand it doesn't fit the comfort mattress

Hi Rippers, I know exactly what you mean. We don't sleep directly on the comfort mattress but use a Zone sleep instead, which we slip side ways into a double quilt cover. We have also stitched on some velcro so that the quilt cover doubles over and stays nice and tight with no problems with it becoming untucked. You then just fold it up altogether to put it away in the morning. It's more expensive and more to carry, but it's very comfortable and the Zone sleep just pulls over the comfort mattress when you make up the bed. The cover on the bottom is therefore not really needed as we now have the Zone sleep on top, but it still helps to keep it protected at the ends and sides. The Zone sleep is also designed to keep you cool as it's not made of foam. Hope this helps.