Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

SMG Cowfold Reviews

John

John

VIP Member
This is a fault on my Cali that I inherited from the previous owner. SMG were a great help and Russell their chief Cali technician investigated it as part of a free winter check.

I thought it would be good to share the symptoms, causes, and rectification of this fault as it might be something that you may come across with your own Cali.

Symptoms are the smell of small amount of diesel exhaust fumes in the cab but only when you are stationary. The smell disappears when you start moving.

Cause, in my case, after further investigation Russell found that the exhaust manifold was cracked and needed replacing. Other causes can be leaking gaskets and even a leaking turbo.

Rectification, in my case, Russell had to remove the exhaust manifold and turbo. Those of you who have worked on exhaust will know what a pain they can be. Studs and nuts can corrode badly and it can be a real pain removing the nuts without damage. In fact in my case two of the studs were broken and needed drilling out of the cylinder head which is very common on the T5. First the studs were replaced then the exhaust manifold and turbo were replaced with new gaskets which rectified the fault.

If you experience these symptoms and you are still covered by warranty I recomend that you get this work carried out straight away as the cost can vary enormously. A leaking gasket will cost around £300 to rectify where as a leaking turbo will cost over £1500. In my case Alex really looked after me well as the club discount saved me a lot of money on this work and other work that my Cali needed.

I would like to thank Alex, Russell and the other the other staff of SMG for their help.

Re: Smell of Exhaust Fumes in the Cab

That is really good to hear John that SMG looked after you with this, also this shows the importance of full check of your Cali by a dealer just before your warranty expires.

Just a quick note of thanks for all our members at the great service offered by Alex and Steve at SMG.

I rang on tuesday and asked for replacement OEM wiper blades and one small plastic part of the drivers seat i managed to damage (caught my trouser leg on it exiting and snapped it clean off
I'm putting my flares back in the suitcase in the loft!

With forum discount the blades were the same price as Bosch parts at Halfords and delivery by courier my parts arrived the next day.

Once xmas is over I will be perusing the VW accessories catalogue to further "bling" my Cali, but probably not the Brandrup one!

Excellent service from SMG this week had some work carried out on my California could not fault the service. :thanks NK02 Blue 2009.

Thanks for the kind feedback Rob. Glad you are pleased with it.

cali looked seriously good once we were finished with it :smile

cheers

Having used SMG in Cowfold for the first time recently, I felt they deserve a recommendation to others looking for a more personal service than your average van dealer.

Like most us, I’m quite fussy who looks after my cars and the California is no different, in fact it’s more personal because it is more than just a vehicle. Not exactly inspired by the last visit to my nearest California dealer, I decided to book with SMG, a 2 hour drive away. This isn’t anything new to me as I always seem to travel for good service, two other dealerships I use are over an hour away! Madness I know, but once the relationship is built, it makes future business so much easier.

SMG Cowfold are active on the forum and clearly interested in California owners, they are knowledgeable and helpful. The service manager Alex Harbour, has helped me sort out a couple of warranty repairs without any fuss, one of which another dealer wouldn’t help me with. So, I just want to say thank you.

See you at CoF. :bananadance

Really pleased to hear Alex and the boy's are still providing a top service :thumb
I travelled 3 hour's to get my mot done :thumb keep up the good work smg.

Nice review Rilla, we are hearing this from many people now that they are willing to travel a distance to SMG to get good service. :clap

Thanks for the feedback and glad you are pleased, always welcome any feedback good or bad!

See you next weekend!

cheers

I recieved my monster rubber foot mats from SMG Cowfold today. :p
Orderd yesterday at 3.30pm. Arrived 4.30pm.today.
:thanks for a speedy service Steeve (parts departement ).

Also got club discount....happy days ..... :bananadance

I’ll second that!!
Magic speedy postal delivery from SMG of Brandrup AIR-SAFE tailgate today

Thanks lads. :clap

Having recently placed my order for a new Cali, I just wanted to say a quick (public) thank you to Hugh for making the whole process a superb experience.

The level of service was spot on and I can fully understand why SMG and Hugh come highly recommended.

Thanks again!

Gary

Good to hear Gary. Not surprised though :thumb

Well done Hugh.
That's why we buy 50 vehicles a year from him :D

We bought our Cali from Hugh last year. It was a really good experience.

So thanks Hugh, we've had great year! Kittyx

I have used SMG Cowfold for years, even pre California owning days, and can honestly say I have never been disappointed with their friendly, excellent value service. (That must be good for a bit of discount?!) All round good guys to deal with.

Have to say that i bought my Cali elsewhere, however have it serviced/repaired at SMG Cowfold, and I have to say that they have been excellent all round. Very pleased, will continue to go there for sure... Highly recommend to anyone.

After some emails & phone calls Cali booked into SMG my Christmas present fitted THE 12 V SOCKET TO TOP OF DASH.
Always been a advacate of TomTom so put to Sat Nav on the windscreen rather that a new headunit. But what a pain having to open the cup draws for power.

2 things 1 a first class service from S M G
2 other dealers quoted twice as much

If you are looking for top of dash 12v power socket and you think a little too expensive check out Alex at SMG for a price and they can do while you wait for
thanks SMG its :cool

I had mine done along with a service and MOT (at the end of my warranty period 8-( ) by SMG and second the above!

Bought all the bits to add the 12V dashtop tray from SMG this week. Fast delivery and they sorted out a mixup with incorrect part number quickly and efficiently, thanks SMG and Adam (I think) in parts. :thanks
Will try and fit it next weekend. A question for those who have had it done, are the cables spliced in to the existing cupholder socket? (if you know)

Back