Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

SMG Cowfold Reviews

Sorry but no. If you are a dealer then that is the cost of doing business, people come in take up your time and decide to buy elsewhere or at a later date. Every business that is involved in sales (all of them) has this problem/opportunity. The idea that someone who doesn't buy in two minutes is a menace is prevalent in vehicle sales. Nowhere else can you be willing to spend £50k+ and treated with such disdain. I am at the very beginning of my search for a Cali and remain optimistic but if a dealer cannot muster up enthusiasm when you are in the process of buying what will be the response when or if you have an issue.

Totally agree - a dealer should treat every visit as a privilege and a unique opportunity to sell the lifestyle benefits of this vehicle which should of course take significant time. VW Trade sales-people should learn from Jaguar who have a strong customer relationship-building philosophy that is based on developing relationships first and sales second!

Another factor to emphasise this point is the Brexit-effect that will effectively slow down sales for the foreseeable future until there is some stability with our economy.

If a dealer does not have the stamina, patience and empathy then they should not be in business - if you treat every customer as an individual and not treat every individual as a customer then you have the greatest chance of not only selling once but to build long term relationships with every customer!!

Sorry but no. If you are a dealer then that is the cost of doing business, people come in take up your time and decide to buy elsewhere or at a later date. Every business that is involved in sales (all of them) has this problem/opportunity. The idea that someone who doesn't buy in two minutes is a menace is prevalent in vehicle sales. Nowhere else can you be willing to spend £50k+ and treated with such disdain. I am at the very beginning of my search for a Cali and remain optimistic but if a dealer cannot muster up enthusiasm when you are in the process of buying what will be the response when or if you have an issue.
By all means disagree but my post was aimed at providing some balance and about striking up a relationship with a dealer. I believe that if you want to be treated well it pays to treat them well until you are given cause to act differently.
I did not say 2 minutes I said take up hours of there time. When I visited the showroom I told the dealer straight that I would be looking for the best deal all things considered and that I was aware of the price I could get on the Internet and elsewhere. I did not treat him like an idiot as he clearly wasn't one and he treated me fairly. That was my point. If you want to deal with someone differently then that's fine with me. I was sharing my experience and I got an extremely good deal and we have trust in each other. Each to there own.

My original aim was to source a new T5 LWB and have it converted. It was a disaster from trying to get the best VW van to getting the components that I wanted for the conversion. Deciding to go with the Cali brought back my sanity. Eurovans at Crawley treated me with the care and attention that I expected. Mike was superb and got the order that eluded other VW dealers. I didn't need more than a few hours to close the deal as I was well prepared particularly with the info from this site. :)

By all means disagree but my post was aimed at providing some balance and about striking up a relationship with a dealer. I believe that if you want to be treated well it pays to treat them well until you are given cause to act differently.
I did not say 2 minutes I said take up hours of there time. When I visited the showroom I told the dealer straight that I would be looking for the best deal all things considered and that I was aware of the price I could get on the Internet and elsewhere. I did not treat him like an idiot as he clearly wasn't one and he treated me fairly. That was my point. If you want to deal with someone differently then that's fine with me. I was sharing my experience and I got an extremely good deal and we have trust in each other. Each to there own.
I don't recall using the word idiot anywhere in my comment.

My original aim was to source a new T5 LWB and have it converted. It was a disaster from trying to get the best VW van to getting the components that I wanted for the conversion. Deciding to go with the Cali brought back my sanity. Eurovans at Crawley treated me with the care and attention that I expected. Mike was superb and got the order that eluded other VW dealers. I didn't need more than a few hours to close the deal as I was well prepared particularly with the info from this site. :)

Agree Mike Eurovans was great with us. All communication by telephone & email.
James did the handover because Mike was on holiday. Took over 4 hours.
Our first visit to the dealers was when we collected our van.

Visited our local van centre to check somethings. We were open about buying else but would using them post delivery. They were very helpful & did not mind us looking at their demo.

I don't recall using the word idiot anywhere in my comment.
Steve. Quite frankly I wonder why someone who joins the BB in July finds it necessary after he has been warmly welcomed to go back 3 months, find a post he disagrees with and post a comment on it as a lecture and then wonder why I replied.

The original post was made to provide balance to a crescendo of dislike on this thread and others of the poor service provided by VW. The situation was complicated and there are people on this board who you may not be aware of who received poor advice and as a result ended up with the wrong options. Sometimes understanding the situation the salesman is in can help, not always. I gave the scenario of time wasters as an example of how they can be messed about and nothing more. There are some, at a given time, who will be angered by any defence of the dealers or VW in general because of the appalling service they have received. The current situation with the roof repair, or not is an example, absolutely appalling. Our enemy and probably most of the dealers enemies are VW and there customer services department.
By all means treat the dealers how you wish. I prefer to treat them as equals with respect and an understanding of their role until they give me cause to do otherwise.
Before you consider this as a lecture you might like to consider why you chose to take this route.
As an aside this seems to be increasing on this board and I wonder why. There is a place for heated debate and disagreement in the off topic sections but when people are genuinely trying to help by some information or an experience I am not surprised they are aghast when they get shot down. Well I shall shoot back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As this thread is a critical review of SMG Cowfold I will just add that I had a couple of things not quite well with Albert on Monday so, being on the road and virtually going past the door, I called in to see if they could help a Damsel in Distress.

Well, they said no, but they could help a Granny in distress and ten minutes later I was back on the road all fixed.

Thank you Jason :thumb

Last edited:
I hear all these cries of support fr the poor dealer who was so inconvenienced by someone walking in and expecting someone to actually take notice when he wants to spend £50k.

Frankly if I was the dealer principal I would be totally, out of my head, incandescent that no one approached the bloke aimlessly wandering around the showroom with just a few words such as "sorry there is no one here to deal with your query at present. Perhaps we can contact you? Can I just have your phone number and I will make sure someone rings you back with a view to at least handling your query and hopefully making an appointment".

Sorry, if it was me when I was running my group of commercial vehicle service centres anyone walking in is a potential customer and a potential customer is who ends up being the person who pays my wages

I hear all these cries of support fr the poor dealer who was so inconvenienced by someone walking in and expecting someone to actually take notice when he wants to spend £50k

I also agree with your comments above Jen and also with your comments Mike re treating the dealer with respect,but if you can't get the basics right by being acknowledged by salespeople or called back before and after the sale then I can see why people are frustrated

I have to say there does seem to be a problem with VW commercial dealers re customer satisfaction and giving the customer a good experiance ,this is a lifestyle vehicle after all and really quite easy to sell and there lies the problem imo.

Not all VW commercial dealers can sell California's as I understand it you have to be appointed and put in the relevant investment re demonstrators, people and tooling , VW uk leave the selling of California's with their commercial arm to give their dealers a cherry on the cake and act as a Halo effect for the brand .A lot of customers would prefer it if the car dealers were to sell California's ,however if VW were to read the comments on this forum and take notice then they could do some of the following to improve the Dealer loyalty.

1.Dedicated dealer salespeople with contingency for days off holidays etc
2.Dedicated after sales technician
3.Dedicated larger bay California parking area
4.Telephone surveys for before and after sale linked to dealer bonus (recorded and played back to relevant staff to provide training)
5.A change of culture within the dealership (obvious really when your selling vans and expensive lifestyle vehicles, acknowledge it and deal with it or just sell vans )

6.what would you suggest to improve dealer attitude ?

Perhaps the California salesperson should be recruited from a prestige car background ? Or just be recruited for having a can do style attitude .

It is too easy to put people's back up and get off on the wrong foot when an inexperienced salesperson who can sell and hit all their targets with a popular,product inform you that there is no discount on that used t5 ,or he can sell all the t6's he can get and if you don't buy it somebody else will attitude ,my point is there is a way of doing it and that comes from investment in quality people and continuous training.

Last edited:
Steve. Quite frankly I wonder why someone who joins the BB in July finds it necessary after he has been warmly welcomed to go back 3 months, find a post he disagrees with and post a comment on it as a lecture and then wonder why I replied.

The original post was made to provide balance to a crescendo of dislike on this thread and others of the poor service provided by VW. The situation was complicated and there are people on this board who you may not be aware of who received poor advice and as a result ended up with the wrong options. Sometimes understanding the situation the salesman is in can help, not always. I gave the scenario of time wasters as an example of how they can be messed about and nothing more. There are some, at a given time, who will be angered by any defence of the dealers or VW in general because of the appalling service they have received. The current situation with the roof repair, or not is an example, absolutely appalling. Our enemy and probably most of the dealers enemies are VW and there customer services department.
By all means treat the dealers how you wish. I prefer to treat them as equals with respect and an understanding of their role until they give me cause to do otherwise.
Before you consider this as a lecture you might like to consider why you chose to take this route.
As an aside this seems to be increasing on this board and I wonder why. There is a place for heated debate and disagreement in the off topic sections but when people are genuinely trying to help by some information or an experience I am not surprised they are aghast when they get shot down. Well I shall shoot back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I didn't lecture anyone.
I wasn't bagging any dealer.
I expressed an opinion that dealers should treat potential customers with respect. That's it
I don't treat dealers in anyway except with respect, you have made that assumption.
I am working my way through posts i did not go back 3 months to disagree with you.
I will refrain from offering an opinion to you in future as you are way to sensitive.

I didn't lecture anyone.
I wasn't bagging any dealer.
I expressed an opinion that dealers should treat potential customers with respect. That's it
I don't treat dealers in anyway except with respect, you have made that assumption.
I am working my way through posts i did not go back 3 months to disagree with you.
I will refrain from offering an opinion to you in future as you are way to sensitive.
That's fine Steve but I believe you were the one jumping to assumptions in your initial post. On being sensitive, you may have a point and your post was the final straw. The trend I described had previously been directed at other posters and not to my posts. It is not good but I do not make a habit of replying for others. I felt rightly or wrongly that your post was the same trend. I am more than happy to accept we have our wires crossed due to the difficulties of making clear communication by BB and move on.
Good luck finding a dealer.

Mike

That's fine Steve but I believe you were the one jumping to assumptions in your initial post. On being sensitive, you may have a point and your post was the final straw. The trend I described had previously been directed at other posters and not to my posts. It is not good but I do not make a habit of replying for others. I felt rightly or wrongly that your post was the same trend. I am more than happy to accept we have our wires crossed due to the difficulties of making clear communication by BB and move on.
Good luck finding a dealer.

Mike
Good because i really don't want to fall out with people on here as i really enjoy it, i apologise if anything i said came across badly to you. I can assure you that was not my intention. I am enjoying the process of deciding what Cali suits my needs so fingers crossed...

Good because i really don't want to fall out with people on here as i really enjoy it, i apologise if anything i said came across badly to you. I can assure you that was not my intention. I am enjoying the process of deciding what Cali suits my needs so fingers crossed...

Good move that is the first step. So much choice it is a case of trying to find what you need now and with some future proofing.

Mike

phew... glad that's over... now, on a lighter note... what about that brexit vote? [i'll get me coat]

Brexit?

Oh!

I had one of those this morning when Albert nearly went up in smoke...

I was having Brekkie .... and.... Br............ oh sh..............EXIT!

I believe dealers do treat customers with respect. There of course can be bad eggs, but sometimes its all a game.
I've been to very prestigious dealers, bought some nice cars, one a jaguar, and have to say that the attention to detail, enthusiasm and quality shown by my dealer was second to none.
Too much broad brushing on this topic overall. I had a great experience as will others. But why should people treat us as a privilege, we are all human and surely people being people supercedes any god complex some £40-70k spenders seem to have. We should embrace the knowledge and expertise as a privilege to help us realise our dream.

image.jpg

I phoned SMG yesterday at midday to purchase wind deflectors but needed them delivered to Scotland today.

They were very helpful took my number and called back when they said they would confirming they could get them on a next day delivery.

So thank you SMG, my wind deflectors arrived today and are already installed.

Well another year flown by and another entery in the service book...at this rate my SE will soon be a classic

Oil,filters,cambelt and water pump change + mot

Thanks to Jason and staff for a professional service,I even had a courtesy car waiting for me to use while the service was carried out.....thanks guys :thumb

Alan

Well another year flown by and another entery in the service book...at this rate my SE will soon be a classic

Oil,filters,cambelt and water pump change + mot

Thanks to Jason and staff for a professional service,I even had a courtesy car waiting for me to use while the service was carried out.....thanks guys :thumb

Alan
Good guys down there + if you were a VIP member here (£10 a year) you would have saved I think 10% on parts and servicing costs too :)

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/home/

We have used SMG several times and receive 10% on servicing and accessories. The staff are always very pleasant and seem to take care of club members.

The guys had my Cali for 2 days to a) fix the tap I broke diagnosing the b) new water pump fitted and c) why the heater was not working.

1 & 2 were completed within an hour and 3 was investigated, heater started working again and no charge as they didn't think they had "fixed" anything.

A breath of fresh air compared to my previous VW experiences - a most friendly welcome, a friendly return despite me being 5 after 5:30 and most folks would want to get home as quick as possible.

Well done guys, I will be back :thumb:cheers

The guys had my Cali for 2 days to a) fix the tap I broke diagnosing the b) new water pump fitted and c) why the heater was not working.

1 & 2 were completed within an hour and 3 was investigated, heater started working again and no charge as they didn't think they had "fixed" anything.

A breath of fresh air compared to my previous VW experiences - a most friendly welcome, a friendly return despite me being 5 after 5:30 and most folks would want to get home as quick as possible.

Well done guys, I will be back :thumb:cheers
Glad you had good service there. My own experiences, based on several visits there, were the total opposite , but hey, c'est la vie!

A bit late posting as I ordered my bike rack for the T6 way back in February. I was advised through the forum to try SMG Cowfold and Steve Mann took my order. He wasn't happy with the packaging on the one they had in so ordered another one which arrived with them overnight and then after being checked was sent on to me.
I couldn't fault the service, in fact I'd go as far as to say he went the extra mile to ensure I had the bike rack delivered before my first service so I could get it fitted.
And for those that say it's ugly, I haven't noticed it being ugly at all. Maybe that says more about me than the bike rack, I don't know.
Sorry for the late posting - been slightly pre-occupied with the furry beasts.

Just had great service at SMG Cowfold. My Cali was relayed to them on Tuesday last week due to auxiliary belt failing, which took out power steering. They booked it in for today, a week later, as they were already fully booked.

However I had a call yesterday morning at 9am to say it was ready. They also fixed the recliner dial on the passenger seat for me.

Great service, no problem in going back and recommending them to others.

VW Customer Care also gave me a free service to make up for losing our half term week holiday. Much appreciated.

Back