Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

SMG Cowfold Reviews

I called them and asked to speak to Steve he seems a very busy guy but I then emailed him regarding my question resulting in I have both in stock , made arrangement's to pop over everyone seemed very busy but still found time to fit it for me , ended up selling me a few more bits with club discount
I have called Steve several times for free advice and he has bent over backwards to help FOC
Best practice is to call ahead , if I was wanting to buy a new California I would have booked and appointment as this could take a couple of hours and they had a new one in stock two weeks ago
Well done guys for all your help

I received a very nice phone call from SMG a week ago. My vehicle is 4 years old, it needs an MoT, an inspection, etc. etc. Informative, professional and all my possible options discussed. An appointment made for my vehicle to be collected, work done and returned. It goes in next week.

How nice. Normally it's me calling someone, "shouldn't I be having this done.... and when does that need doing ..... oh! You mean the oil should have been changed three months ago? ........."

Original Review from @Kevthegas

I have used the service and parts department Smg Cowfold for 9 years now with 5 x Transporters. Very good helpful service.

And again today, 1st service on The Beach.
Turned up at 8.10 am.
Left by 10.30 all done, and thoroughly cleaned.
Much cheaper to service a Beach than a Golf GTD that also has to be serviced every year.
Coffee went down well, just trying to convince my wife we need an Amorak that Steve kindly let me drive.
Forgot to tell him I left my glasses in the Beach :D:D.

Another recomendation for Steve Mann, really helpful and knowledgable when I wanted accessories - emailed originally, received a very quick response and delivery of parts - no hesitation to use again and with club discount :thumb

Just a thank you to Jason and the Team.

Alfie went in for his first oil change and inspection yesterday. Also a couple of minor habitation issues needed attending to. He was not in the best of condition having just come home from 7 days away and driving home in the dreaded monsoon.

Picked up from my home at 8am, returned by 4pm, everything done, a few extra's such as AdBlu topped up and a battle scar removing from my n/s mirror cap, cleaned inside and out.

Excellent service and a couple of hundred quid cheaper than my Sister's BMW.

Also at SMG Cowfold yesterday - how did we miss each other??

New roof hydraulic ram and motor to fix a droopy roof.

Similarly returned nice and clean. All under warranty, so no worries there.

A bit of a trek for me to get to Cowfold (from the top end of the M23). SMG do, of course, have a branch in Croydon which would have been much closer. When I rang Croydon, the guy I spoke to appeared to have no knowledge of droopy roofs in particular or even Californias in general, so I decided the trip to Cowfold was worth it. My experience over Monday/Tuesday confirmed that.

Last edited:
Also at SMG Cowfold yesterday - how did we miss each other??

New roof hydraulic ram and motor to fix a droopy roof.

I had mine collected. They are only 20 miles from me and their delivery driver virtually passes my house when he goes to work :)

We need some warranty work doing on the beach that we inherited from the previous owners, the problem we have is the window blind in the sliding door makes lots of noise just don't know where to take it, as our local garage is not all that good with Cali's, we have been to Northampton in the past with our previous SE's but not keen on them either. I must admit if I could find somewhere good I would travel to have the work done and even camp why they did it if needed.

We need some warranty work doing on the beach that we inherited from the previous owners, the problem we have is the window blind in the sliding door makes lots of noise just don't know where to take it, as our local garage is not all that good with Cali's, we have been to Northampton in the past with our previous SE's but not keen on them either. I must admit if I could find somewhere good I would travel to have the work done and even camp why they did it if needed.

By coincidence my last van had sliding door blind problems and my current van has had windscreen blind problems. Both sorted quite efficiently and successfully by SMG.

By coincidence my last van had sliding door blind problems and my current van has had windscreen blind problems. Both sorted quite efficiently and successfully by SMG.

Thanks for that Granny Jen it's always good to receive advice from someone who's had work done and who is happy with the work, bit of a drive but looks like it will be well worth it thanks again.

Thanks for that Granny Jen it's always good to receive advice from someone who's had work done and who is happy with the work, bit of a drive but looks like it will be well worth it thanks again.

Make a weekend of it :)

East Sussex is beautiful, the South Downs, the forests, the coastline, beachy head, the sleaze of Brighton, venture into West Sussex and enjoy sedate Worthing, watch out for an old tart running along the prom wearing a "Team Granny" Tee shirt ...... it all happens down here:D

I popped in this morning for an oil change. (It's only a year old but wanted to change it anyway)

Great service. Staff were all polite and I was treated like a valued customer.

I was greeted by name and they were ready to take my vehicle in at the pre-booked time.

I waited while the service was done. It had a waiting area with coffee, tea and magazines.

It was only an oil change but it was done efficiently and I was back on the road in an hour.

The other SMG branches could learn a thing or two from Cowfold.

I'll certainly go back here for service number 2.

SMG Cowfold have always been one of the best dealerships out there for service , I just wish I still lived nearby to them.

The Cali had its 1st service on Saturday, turned up at 8am on the road again + 10.45.

Great service again from this dealer who I have used for over 8 years.

Kev

Dropped mine off there this morning. Hoping for great things. Very vehicle busy site!

I tried calling Cowfold today and it looks like they've shut completely. Recorded message saying that my call will be redirected to SMG Tonbridge. (No thanks!)

I wonder if they've furloughed the entire Cowfold team?

My van was booked in for a minor service at Cowfold early April, but they had to cancel it due to lockdown. The did say that they would remain open for emergency repairs, but I guess that position changed as lockdown became extended.

I was hoping that Cowfold would be one of the van centres to reopen when restrictions ease.

Possibly business is so slow that SMG decided to centre on one location.

A shame for California owners.

From their website.....

COVID-19 Update
Last updated: 01/04/2020
In these unprecedented circumstances we are taking the following actions to limit the spread of COVID-19 and keep our staff and customers safe.
As of Tuesday 31st March our Cowfold branch will be closed. Our Croydon and Tonbridge branches currently remain open for essential vehicle maintenance only. As per government advice sales departments are now closed for all branches.

My local dealer (Listers Droitwich) are starting back up then. Perhaps it is national?

Another cracking service from Jason and the team at Cowfold. Thanks guys. :thumb

Very efficient and professional - particularly in these challenging times. Good to see you back.

Video presentation and PDF report were emailed to me shortly afterwards. Peace of mind that the van is in good shape for another 12 months.

My local dealer (Listers Droitwich) are starting back up then. Perhaps it is national?

Llandudno & Liverpool open from today for servicing :thumb

Just another thank you to Jason and the team at SMG ...

Alfie went in for his oil change, first MOT and a couple of irritating things to be sorted.

One of the irritating things proved to be rodent damage!! However from the moment it was collected from my home I was kept informed of everything found, items needing to be done, state of wearing parts of the vehicle, tyres, brakes etc,, to the return, washed, tidied and immaculate.

First class service as usual.

Back