Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cracked track for sliding roof access panel

Calimagg

Calimagg

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Last service due before warranty ends, so checking for issues and came across this.
Would this be covered under the warranty and if so does anyone know if it would be straightforward replacement?

Worried that my usual dealer, who can’t even fit a roof seal properly, would make a real mess of the interior.
F20BF68B-E86A-4BC9-910D-88CDF5FE8F03.jpegE975BC7B-992A-4F8E-A910-C5A09552836A.jpeg

I've not found many issues with my 2017 Ocean, but have visited my local VW centre for a couple of things....

1. Heated Windscreen did not seem to work. VW inspection said that the windscreen had been replaced, so not liable for warranty. Even though the 'replacement windscreen was a genuine VW item, I was told that the wires had not been connected correctly. I'll need to wait until colder weather to test.

2. Rubber grommet thing on bed frame, plus rear blind catch were broken. Yes accepted as warranty repairs without issue.

I think that if you are polite with them then they are more accepting of any claims and are prepared to do that little bit extra to get things sorted. Probably also helps that you show some allegiance to that vw centre.

With your broken item there will be costs involved with removal and replacement, so a bit more costly than the items I have mentioned. But give it a go.

Prepare your arguments for their possible response that this is caused by neglect/careless actions. I'd suggest to them that the item must have been designed for some rough treatment since you have to clamber in and out of the hatch to use the upper bed area.

Good luck.

@Calimagg
I completely get your anguish.
I suppose you are worried about alignment and subsequent rattles?
But you need it fixed. I would get the dealer to provide confirmation that there are currently no issues with the cab head lining other than the crack in the rail. Including rattles.
This may need them to do something like a test drive to satisfy them selves which even as I type seems a long shot but I wouldn't proceed without the confirmation.
Once you have the confirmation the onus is on them 100% to leave it as good as new.
If they wont give you confirmation, contact customer support before getting it done and explain your concern that you for see potential for things to go wrong given the nature of the job and ask them to guide you through the way forward should it not be returned to you as you expect.

All this sounds OTT....until it happens right?

I've not found many issues with my 2017 Ocean, but have visited my local VW centre for a couple of things....

1. Heated Windscreen did not seem to work. VW inspection said that the windscreen had been replaced, so not liable for warranty. Even though the 'replacement windscreen was a genuine VW item, I was told that the wires had not been connected correctly. I'll need to wait until colder weather to test.

2. Rubber grommet thing on bed frame, plus rear blind catch were broken. Yes accepted as warranty repairs without issue.

I think that if you are polite with them then they are more accepting of any claims and are prepared to do that little bit extra to get things sorted. Probably also helps that you show some allegiance to that vw centre.

With your broken item there will be costs involved with removal and replacement, so a bit more costly than the items I have mentioned. But give it a go.

Prepare your arguments for their possible response that this is caused by neglect/careless actions. I'd suggest to them that the item must have been designed for some rough treatment since you have to clamber in and out of the hatch to use the upper bed area.

Good luck.
Thanks

@Calimagg
I completely get your anguish.
I suppose you are worried about alignment and subsequent rattles?
But you need it fixed. I would get the dealer to provide confirmation that there are currently no issues with the cab head lining other than the crack in the rail. Including rattles.
This may need them to do something like a test drive to satisfy them selves which even as I type seems a long shot but I wouldn't proceed without the confirmation.
Once you have the confirmation the onus is on them 100% to leave it as good as new.
If they wont give you confirmation, contact customer support before getting it done and explain your concern that you for see potential for things to go wrong given the nature of the job and ask them to guide you through the way forward should it not be returned to you as you expect.

All this sounds OTT....until it happens right?
You’re right, it is worrying. Thinking of taking it to Breeze in Poole where @vwguru resides.