Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

cracking tyres

Freeley

Freeley

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Got our cali in for a service today.
Dealer has just rung me to say that all 4 tyres have got cracking between the treads and will need replacing. This on a van that's only 3 years old with 8500 miles on the clock.
Has anyone come across this before and would it be a serious safety problem? The cali does spend most of its time sat immobile on the drive so maybe this might have something to do with it.
Am off to Switzerland in a couple of weeks so don't want to take any risks but do they really need replacing?
Any thoughts welcome cheers.

I'd be really dissapointed to need to replace tyres after that little use. That said, those roundy black bits are the only thing between you and yours and your pride and joy and a very smelly end.. don't scrimp on tyres!

If the rubber is obviously delaminating, I would err on the side of caution and replace them. If it isn't so obvious, I'd go to a trusted tyre dealer and seek a second opinion.

I've heard dealers that mainly deal with fleet cars saying similar things - the likelihood is that the tyres would then just be changed without question...

Yeah the dealer said it was age related. Will def drop it in to my local tyre shop for a 2nd opinion this week. Will end up being an expensive service if i have to change them.
Cheers for the replies.

Dunlops? If so, see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=36&p=15262&hilit=dunlop#p15262

I've just replaced my front Dunlops at 26k miles, mainly because of tread depth, but there was also some cracking. The date stamp is 3507 - i.e. week 35 of 2007. I've put new tyres on the back and moved the rears to the front, and hope to get another 10k out of them as fronts. They are also showing signs of cracking, but nothing like as much as the old fronts, so I plan to just keep an eye on them. They don't look terminal yet.

The tyres on our caravan (Hankooks) were replaced at 3 years old having done less than 1000 miles. They'd been kept off the van in the shed each winter too. I was told by a friend in the trade that it was not uncommon, tyres really don't like not being used. Suppose it just like radiator hoses and such like, use the car and they last for years, park it up and use it a few times a year and they go hard and perish surprisingly quickly.

ChrisandPenney52 said:
Dunlops? If so, see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=36&p=15262&hilit=dunlop#p15262

I've just replaced my front Dunlops at 26k miles, mainly because of tread depth, but there was also some cracking. The date stamp is 3507 - i.e. week 35 of 2007. I've put new tyres on the back and moved the rears to the front, and hope to get another 10k out of them as fronts. They are also showing signs of cracking, but nothing like as much as the old fronts, so I plan to just keep an eye on them. They don't look terminal yet.

Ours are bridgestone duravis only had chance to check one tyre briefly and the cracking between the treads is clearly noticeable. Is this a serious safety issue ie can they blow out etc?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Van = 3 tonnes. Tyres = 4 + about £120 each. So it's approx £500 to keep 3 tonnes of van on the road and a small price to pay, it's all that's between you and the tarmac and a failure can be catastrophic not just for you but for whoever or whatever you hit when/if the tyre goes.

Think what I'm saying is that if the advice is to change them and you've also had a second opinion the next thing to do is get new boots fitted. It's a bit like saying the brakes are making a nasty noise but the van still stops, do I need new brake pads?

Seb

My advice would be to change asap.
Last year we were advised after the service that the tyres "need looking at".
So, as we were off to France almost immediately I decided to do it on our return.
Stupid decision!
Trundling around France we started to get a a clomp clomp clomp noise. One back tyre had a bulge in the side wall. Went to a tyre place and, as usual, no tyres for a Cali. "But Msieur, it is ok, it is safe"!! Well it didn't feel safe so I put on the spare. Perhaps we can get home. And then clomp clomp clomp and the other tyre went.
Ended up on a camp site waiting for 3 days in the rain for the tyres to be delivered, (having given the tyre man 100 euros cash deposit!). But the season ended after 2 days, the site closed and we were chucked off. No other sites were open and we eventually found a farm for one night, driving very gingerly.
Bit of a nightmare, so now I always get these things done asap
Oh, I did get 38000 from these tyres so can't complain, the van is also our car so it's always in use

Where's it stored?

As mentioned, it's a pain but more age related than mileage (we're at 7.5k miles after just over seven months!!). But it's a heavy vehicle and tyres are critical. Swap ASAP and use it more!! :lol:

KernowLad said:
Where's it stored?

As mentioned, it's a pain but more age related than mileage (we're at 7.5k miles after just over seven months!!). But it's a heavy vehicle and tyres are critical. Swap ASAP and use it more!! :lol:

It's parked on our drive most of the time.
It's a bit gutting because of the mileage will have cost me over £1600 recently what with sat nav, service and now this :-(

You do seem to be having an unlucky run at the moment. Still, with that low mileage, your Cali will still be worth loads!

Dropped the cali into my local tyre depot just now. They also said they'd need replacing. They can do me firestones all round for £400.
I'm not going for anything more expensive, there's no point as they'll probably crack as well. Will have to use it more from now on i think.

Freeley said:
Dropped the cali into my local tyre depot just now. They also said they'd need replacing. They can do me firestones all round for £400.
I'm not going for anything more expensive, there's no point as they'll probably crack as well. Will have to use it more from now on i think.

My Dad bought an exceptionally low mileage (for it's year) Golf years ago and most rubber parts had perished. Under-use can be almost worse than over-use sometimes!

Firestones should be fine - avoid never-heard-of brands that are useless.

Its not uncommon on cars that go little miles, some compounds don't even like the temps we get down to over here, especially in last couple of winters.

Like said, it's a heavy old girl and even a run around the block helps move the parking position once in a while.

You could also try tyre shoes or increase the presures whilst not in use. Failing all of this, axles stands and bring the rim inside to a attached to house room (built in Garage?)