Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Crank shaft Engine oil seal (Gearbox end) Check required before end of warranty/ during periodic service

Perfectos

Perfectos

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi Guys ,

posting this to highlight a potential issue that may go undetected during normal use and service And help other Avoid potential costly bill.

Van mileage approx 21k miles, three and a half years old,
Extended warranty 5years /80k miles (thank Goodness)

my Van went in for an unrelated issue. (I’ll post this in another thread when diagnosed and fix)

as part of the investigation into the unrelated issue, the VW tech carried out a “Health Check” on my vehicle to investigate an issue reported several times previously and is unrelated to the engine.
(I assume this ”health check” is a general check similar to the “All in warranty“ check Required to qualify for the “all in deal”

The “health check“ involved the removal of the plastic under trays covering the engine and visual inspection of everything to try and establish the reported issue (unrelated) and any other issues they may note during the inspection.

Result of the health check:
Visual Oil residue between engine and gear box:
minimal leak, ( residue noted )
Noting : during previous 21k miles NO loss of oil noted, other than would be considered very minimal & normal, (I.e: less than a couple of litres over 21k miles, top up periodically to ensure oil level was constantly at the top end of normal).

This issue was NOT noted during previous servicing, health checks & oil change by the same VW dealer, whom has carried out the all works to this van , MOT & all previous servicing. (Last service circa 18k miles), so I assume this issue has recently presented.

The oil residue Issue needed to be assessed to determine the correct Remedial action: Either:
a) Crank case seal between engine and gear box (remedial fix = gear box out engine replace seal)
b) Oil bypassing fixing bolts between gearbox and engine (Remedial fix = replace bolts)
c) Gear box oil filler plug leaking (Remedial fix = resin fix drain plug)

all the above are know issues by VW. There are many threads on the T6 forum Relating to each issue.

Diagnoses of the issue noted by VW during the health check :

option a) !

remedial action :
remove gearbox, drain engine oil, fit new oil crank case oil seal to gearbox end, refill engine oil, check leak has been fixed.
(Note: there is another crank case seal at the opposite end of the engine where the timing pulley is located, which has the potential to leak similarly)

curiously VW do not routinely replace the engine oil filter when changing the engine oil as part of this remedial work !
I have requested a new engine oil filter to be fitted Circa £10,
for which I will pay for and have an invoice issued showing the same, therefore dating the works & Milage etc.

I stated that it is good practice to replace the oil filter when replacing the engine oil (although VW don’t seem to agree / include this in the remedial action ! ) so I decided to pay the minimal cost as it is good practice.

May I suggest everyone specifically requests VW to check both crank case oil seals, gear box filler and engine bolts (for potential leaks) at next service or before the factory warranty runs out, including residue of oil to surfaces.

I personally would specifically request all three checks of the potential issue listed above and have it noted on the Dealer service record, as customer requested, so there is a formal record of your request in case of later issue.

incidentally The cost to have crank case one oil seal changed by VW would be IRO £900 +
it’s a surprisingly common issue and had Not been noted or picked up previously during the recommended VW service regime, it only became apparent during an additional check of an unrelated issue.

I hope this proves useful to others and may help save a costly bill outside warranty for someone.
I will further request checks at each subsequent service and before end of warranty (to be recorded)

Last edited:
Good info for all owners @Perfectos.
I agree with the WOW comments Karlos

not something I would expect to happen with such regularity !

None the less I hope this highlights the issue others and potentially saves someone a future issue, As it’s a known issue

Last edited:
Hi Guys ,

posting this to highlight a potential issue that may go undetected during normal use and service And help other Avoid potential costly bill.

my Van went in for an unrelated issue. (I’ll post this in another thread when diagnosed and fix)

as part of the investigation into the unrelated issue, the VW tech carried out a “Health Check” on my vehicle to investigate an issue reported several times previously and is unrelated to the engine.
(I assume this ”health check” is a general check similar to the “All in warranty“ check Required to qualify for the “all in deal”

The “health check“ involved the removal of the plastic under trays covering the engine and visual inspection of everything to try and establish the reported issue (unrelated) and any other issues they may note during the inspection.

Noting : during previous 21k miles NO loss of oil noted, other than would be considered very minimal & normal, (I.e: less than a couple of litres over 21k miles, top up periodically to ensure oil level was constantly at the top end of normal).

This issue was NOT noted during previous servicing, health checks & oil change by the same VW dealer, whom has carried out the all works to this van , MOT & all previous servicing. (Last service circa 18k miles), so I assume this issue has recently presented.

The oil residue Issue needed to be assessed to determine the correct Remedial action: Either:
a) Crank case seal between engine and gear box (remedial fix = gear box out engine replace seal)
b) Oil bypassing fixing bolts between gearbox and engine (Remedial fix = replace bolts)

all the above are know issues by VW. There are many threads on the T6 forum Relating to each issue.

option a) !

remedial action :
remove gearbox, drain engine oil, fit new oil crank case oil seal to gearbox end, refill engine oil, check leak has been fixed.
(Note: there is another crank case seal at the opposite end of the engine where the timing pulley is located, which has the potential to leak similarly)

curiously VW do not routinely replace the engine oil filter when changing the engine oil as part of this remedial work !
for which I will pay for and have an invoice issued showing the same, therefore dating the works & Milage etc.

I stated that it is good practice to replace the oil filter when replacing the engine oil (although VW don’t seem to agree / include this in the remedial action ! ) so I decided to pay the minimal cost as it is good practice.

May I suggest everyone specifically requests VW to check both crank case oil seals, gear box filler and engine bolts (for potential leaks) at next service or before the factory warranty runs out, including residue of oil to surfaces.

I personally would specifically request all three checks of the potential issue listed above and have it noted on the Dealer service record, as customer requested, so there is a formal record of your request in case of later issue.

incidentally The cost to have crank case one oil seal changed by VW would be IRO £900 +
it’s a surprisingly common issue and had Not been noted or picked up previously during the recommended VW service regime, it only became apparent during an additional check of an unrelated issue.

I hope this proves useful to others and may help save a costly bill outside warranty for someone.
I will further request checks at each subsequent service and before end of warranty (to be recorded)
Thank you for your report, just had the same diagnosis from my local private garage (in Australia) whilst doing a 57k kilometre service. So now off to VW to move the issue into a Warranty claim. Two years 9 months old. Interestingly I suspect the drip was present at the last VW Service but was concealed by the dealer. The vehicle is a 2019 Off Road version of the Transporter and has underbody protection plates which prevented the oil drip making drips on my driveway! Simple fix for the dealer, clean up the protection plates, re-fit them and stay silent until eventually out of 5 Year warranty the problem is mine alone.

Bump - Get your checks carried out B4 your warranty runs out

some with All in warranty are have engine Crank case oil seal claims refused by VW !

some with All in warranty are have engine Crank case oil seal claims refused by VW !
Oil seal leak picked up on my MOT.
Currently waiting for Dealer to contact VW for whether All In Warranty job or part cost will soften the £828 quoted job.

Seems All in Warranty is more of an at VW's discretion as to the definition of All In!

Bump , just because it’s an issue to be aware of

Yes they do leak!!!
Photo is of the oil on our driveway after standing there for a night having completed a long run home the previous day!!
The undertray was saturated with oil in the sound deadening mat, also replaced.
Fixed by Hull JCT 600 , very expensive job but covered by the extended warranty; your warning is something worth taking note of.
Hull van centre was great much better than Sheffield who had attempted to fix it previously,

IMG_0668.jpeg

Yes they do leak!!!
Photo is of the oil on our driveway after standing there for a night having completed a long run home the previous day!!
Fixed by Hull JCT 600 , very expensive job but covered by the extended warranty; your warning is something worth taking note of.
Hull van centre was great much better than Sheffield who had attempted to fix it previously,

View attachment 120453
VW refused to do mine on All in warranty. £828 job.
Get it done when cam belt being done as it has to come of as part of process to take seal and cheap plastic casing out for replacement.

Booked in twice for front crank seal but cancelled by Dealer as they don't have the part.
latest info is no parts in UK or Germany and can't book in until part becomes available, no forecast.

Now trying to decide if I risk a France trip with the risk of seal total failure. Trip already delayed.
Probably get a 4 ltr can of oil to top up if worst scenario occurs and pray.

Presume part on ship from China going the scenic route avoiding Houthis.

Hi Guys ,

option a) !

remedial action :

Yep, I had this occur on my 4 year old Ocean. I was fortunate to have a valid MotorEasy warranty that covered the costs. I think it was around £800. Apparently a known issue, and a new design of seal was fitted.

Yep, I had this occur on my 4 year old Ocean. I was fortunate to have a valid MotorEasy warranty that covered the costs. I think it was around £800. Apparently a known issue, and a new design of seal was fitted.
Annoyingly now as I had 3 years Warrantywise cover then took VW All In Warranty which has more get outs than expected.

Annoyingly now as I had 3 years Warrantywise cover then took VW All In Warranty which has more get outs than expected.
Vw All in is not what it should be as far as VW taking responsibility!

I believed crank case oil seal would have been covered under AI, which I thought was a fairly natural assumption given that it’s expected to last the lifetime of the engine as has been the case with every car I’ve owned in the last 35 Years!
Take responsibility Volkswagen or loose a loyal customer base.(which I think they are )
too many exclusions and what ifs make VW look like the shower they were when they were exposed in the emissions scandal (obvs not interested in repairs to that hole, just investor share price)

Last edited:
Vw All in is not what it should be as far as VW taking responsibility!

I believed crank case oil seal would have been covered under AI, which I thought was a fairly natural assumption given that it’s expected to last the lifetime of the engine as has been the case with every car I’ve owned in the last 35 Years!
Take responsibility Volkswagen or loose a loyal customer base.(which I think they are )
too many exclusions and what ifs make VW look like the shower they were when they were exposed in the emissions scandal (obvs not interested in repairs to that hole, just investor share price)
As I said in my post above. When this happened on our 2017 150 Ocean, I was told by VW engineer that this is a known issue, and a redesigned seal was fitted.

As I said in my post above. When this happened on our 2017 150 Ocean, I was told by VW engineer that this is a known issue, and a redesigned seal was fitted.
I read that , & I was told the same !
but that’s the party line, there are many many cases of multiple failures after an initial Fix !

“tell em what they want to hear and what sounds credible “ just to get outside warranty. That is VWs MO !

if the statement regarding redesign were true there would not be multiple cases of multiple failures. A one time fix would apply !

Edit IMO Engineer and VW is an Oxymoron in this instance

Yes they do leak!!!

View attachment 120453
Crumbs.....mine has a slight weep so I took the undertray off after a 1000miles since a VW service and nowt to write about. Recorded and documented so I will take the undertray off after another 5000miles......but that after one journey...omg

Back