Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Creating a false ceiling above the cabin

Romke

Making the Most of our Coast
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Coast 150 4Motion
If you (like us) sleep downstairs in your Cali you may like our idea for a false ceiling above the cabin as a place where you can store all the stuff that you don't need at night and that you want to have handy when you get up in the morning.
For our first Cali (a 3-seater Beach) we made this board in 10mm ply, which lived on the Multiflex during the journey but in our current Cali (a Coast) we needed a solution that's thin enough to live on top of the roof mattress when the roof is down. I chose to re-make our ceiling from DiBond (two layers of aluminium with a layer of polyethylene in between), which is only 3mm thick and strong enough. Fortunately, DiBond (and similar brands) is available in several colours, including a red that comes very close to the colour of our Coast.
Ceiling 1.jpg
I ordered a rectangular sheet of 50 by 123 cm and created the two rounded edges using a dinner plate with the correct rounding. DiBond is very easy to cut, either with a jigsaw or a Stanley knife. The holes were made with a hole saw and give access to the 12V socket and the switches for the ceiling lights. (In our Beach we had cutouts to accommodate the roof's fastening brackets.) I glued an aluminium U-profile to the (unsupported) front to give the board more strength and to prevent head injuries (DiBond is very sharp).

Ceiling 2.jpg
The second picture shows the false ceiling in place. In our case it holds cushions, our laundry bag, the clothes we need in the morning and other paraphernalia.
Total cost of this project: 60 euros for the DiBond, 10 euros for the profiles. A bargain for the comfort and extra space it gives us!

Last edited:
Excellent work. I can see a market for these in the shop!

I always adore the DIY stuff people bring on :thumb
The Ocean came with a storage net which has the same function. Me I store my frontwindow ventilation grids in them; easily accessible by opening the ceiling shutter, without raising the roof.

Just an idea: if you're not planning to cut up our famous safety net, you could also use it reverse, meaning fixing the horizontal part under your board (extra ceiling storage for smaller items above seats), and the vertical hung at the roof hooks. This way you get an extra high storage basket for bulkier items like duvets etc.

Just an idea: if you're not planning to cut up our famous safety net, you could also use it reverse, meaning fixing the horizontal part under your board (extra ceiling storage for smaller items above seats), and the vertical hung at the roof hooks. This way you get an extra high storage basket for bulkier items like duvets etc.
Do you have a few close up photographs of this please to show the attachment and placements?
Thanks

Do you have a few close up photographs of this please to show the attachment and placements?
Thanks

Well, I did cut up my net to make me two ceiling storage nets (see under). But what I proposed here above is just simply using the security net as supposed but then towards the front side, meaning hanging the vertical part with the straps at the ceiling hooks foreseen herefore and fixing the horizontal part (which normally goes under the mattress) under these shelf boards e.g. with velcro or some straps, or like I did with my front piece, an elastic at the end part, so that you can also use the net under the board as extra storage for scarfs or so. And then the cushions and duvets etc in the newly created 'basket' above.
Not sure if this is all clear like that.:embarrased

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...se-t6-ocean-interior.25087/page-7#post-311686

IMG_E3648.jpg

Last edited:
Back