Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

CrossClimate plus

I

icic

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I see CrossClimate plus come highly recommended. A question or two. Do they effect MPG and also how are they on grass/mud campsites etc. We have a slow puncture in our rear tyre so thought I would do a 4 wheel swap over. Almost been stuck a few times this summer on grass and wonder if this might help. We have a T6 ocean 150

Are they worth the extra money ? Any other thoughts on them would be amazing

I had 4 Cross Climates fitted back in Feb 2018 and then had to drive to and from London in the snow.
The Van felt very sure footed even when having to move to a very slushy lane.

On camp sites they grip well in wet and muddy grass.

I would recommend them.
Alan

They are not really 'extra money' compared to other premium branded tyres.

I have Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons rather than the CrossClimates but these observations are I think pertinent (I have a fair amount of experience in both rough/off-road and rallying).

I very much doubt whether you will see any real difference between a summer or an 'all-seasons' tyre on muddy surfaces. On that you need a much block-ier tread pattern, ie an all-terrain tyre or at least 'proper' winter tyres with much chunkier tread.

By all means choose an all-seasons for the best compromise of all-year performance on the road and on snow, but don't expect it to make much difference when you're actually off-road.

I stand to be corrected but only if someone can point to proper back-to-back tests on the surface in question, ie a muddy field.

I've been looking at the CrossClimate and CrossClimate+ tyres as I am considering them too.

From what I can tell the XL versions seem to be rated to 102. My current Continental Vanco Four Seasons have a load index of 106.

The difference between 850KG and 950KG a corner. Probably fine, but is it? Clearly I don't want to give an insurer another reason to avoid coughing up should the worst happen.

Check the tyre pressure label on the offside door pillar. This gives tyre sizes and rating as well as the suggested pressures for the load you have on board.

so they come in different versions ? not just the standard factory fit 235 55 17, now I ma confused how do you find out what is the right size or weight, any advise would be great as I have no knowledge in this area and its an expensive purchase to get wrong. As I saw my factory fit tyres say on the tyre 235/55ZR17

are there insurance issues with changing tyres ?

Just looked at the sticker inside the door there seems to 3 tyres recommended. How do you know which ones to choose ?

712A6862-35B8-4D38-AE23-67B37D68E717.jpeg

Whats the difference between the 235 55 17 and the 255 45 18 ? and in the XL relevant when ordering ?

Saw these at quick it are they the wrong sort as they are not XL by Ys ?

Screenshot 2020-09-08 at 17.57.16.png

Okay it sounds like you are looking for some very basic starting guidance on tyres. Before you make any decisions about tyres (other than to just renew the size/spec you have, which may be your best course), here are the key aspects:

1. Wheel size: R17 or 18. Unless you're planning to change your wheels, you obviously need to stick wiht whatever you have now.

2. Profile: (the /55 bit in 235/55, in the Michelin example you posted). The lower the number, the 'thinner' the tyre (when looked at from the side). Lower-profile tyres will give harsher ride, also make the wheel rim more vulnerable to kerbing damage. Personally on a van I wouldn't go below 55 profile, but that's just me.

3. Tread width (the 235 bit in 235/55). The larger the number, the wider the tyre. A wider tyre doesn't necessarily give more grip, and it will use more fuel. 235 is fine on a Cali, again just IMO.

4. The speed (Y) and load (103) ratings. The load rating is very important, on a van. Calis require IIRC at least a 102 rating due to the weight of the vehicle and 103 is better but it depends on the tyre.

Your insurance will be valid if the tyres are suitable for the vehicle. You'll be safest sticking to one of the options on the door plate.

If you go to a reputable tyre fitter they will sell you something that's suitable for the vehicle. Do you have any particular reason to change from the size/spec you have on at the moment?

No reason to change the spec/size just making sure I don’t make a mistake and get the wrong one, so it’s the Y the right way to go or is the XL a different thing

I also have another question. The sticker on the door, is it relevant specifically for the ocean or a general Sticker for the T6 van series. I ask because there is a fair amount of weight already in the van from the furniture, so with tyre pressure should you always go for the heavy load recommendation or the lower one if daily driving. We do have a Cali drawer as well which is always full of camping bits and pieces as well as the kitchen units being full etc

No reason to change the spec/size just making sure I don’t make a mistake and get the wrong one, so it’s the Y the right way to go or is the XL a different thing

You are confusing two different things. The Y (in this case) is a speed rating, ie the max speed for which the tyre should be driven. A Y rating is the highest, 186 mph. I assume it's just illustrative in the ad you posted. More likely you will be buying H rating which is 130mph.

The XL tag means "extra load" and refers to the fact that the tyre has extra reinforcement in its construction, being designed for a van or SUV for example. But for practical purposes you can ignore that and just look for the load rating, eg 103.

I also have another question. The sticker on the door, is it relevant specifically for the ocean or a general Sticker for the T6 van series. I ask because there is a fair amount of weight already in the van from the furniture, so with tyre pressure should you always go for the heavy load recommendation or the lower one if daily driving. We do have a Cali drawer as well which is always full of camping bits and pieces as well as the kitchen units being full etc

No, you can rely on the door sticker. It assumes the vehicle is loaded to the max gross vehicle weight (for a Cali Ocean that's just over 3,000 kg I think). Obviously you should never exceed the GVW, regardless of what tyres you have, as you'll be breaking the law.

Sorry still confused so looking at the sticker, if it’s just me and the full Kitchen units and a full calitray it should be the tyre vales with the two people diagram or the one with 5 people diagram on the sticker

By the way this is so helpful, thank you everyone

Sorry still confused so looking at the sticker, if it’s just me and the full Kitchen units and a full calitray it should be the tyre vales with the two people diagram or the one with 5 people diagram on the sticker

Okay now you are talking about tyre pressures. For the scenario you describe I would be going for somewhere closer to the "2 people" pressures but your Cali, your call. As you'll see, the fronts have pretty much the same recommended pressures in all cases, you just bung some more air in the backs if you're lugging the world and his wife around, bike racks etc.

FWIW I have 235/55 17s on our SE (T5 version of the Ocean), usually just the two of us, the dog and camping kit, and I run 43 psi all round, seems happy enough with that.

Thanks so much, all makes sense now thank for you all your advice

Thanks so much, all makes sense now thank for you all your advice
We are only 2. The van is loaded all the time apart from water and I run 235/55 R17/103/H tyres at 44psi all round. But it is a 4Motion. Good even tyre wear Front to Rear L to R.

I've been looking at the CrossClimate and CrossClimate+ tyres as I am considering them too.

From what I can tell the XL versions seem to be rated to 102. My current Continental Vanco Four Seasons have a load index of 106.

The difference between 850KG and 950KG a corner. Probably fine, but is it? Clearly I don't want to give an insurer another reason to avoid coughing up should the worst happen.

103 load rating minimum requirement for Cali. Yes, you’ll probably be OK with 102 but I wouldn’t want to have this discussion with an Insurance co after an accident.

103 load rating minimum requirement for Cali. Yes, you’ll probably be OK with 102 but I wouldn’t want to have this discussion with an Insurance co after an accident.
102 is allowable (even recommended?), but only on a specific 17 size.

20200909_075956.jpg

I'm running on standard 16" Clayton wheels so from this I take it that it's not recommended by VW.

In summary, I think if I wanted to play it safe with the CrossClimates I'd have to change the wheels too.

hello,
we have the Michelin CrossClimate xl on our T4 westfalia california and have, among other things, done the black forest in the autumn of last year and think it is a very pleasant driving tire: sturdy but also comfortable. Good traction in grass. Behavior in rain very well and brakes perfectly fine. I was pleasantly surprised; but no snow rides yet. We come from Michelin agilis summer tires and Michelin agilis alpin winter tires but decided to choose all season tires. Next year we will have a T6.1 and the first change will be the tires: I have CrossClimate installed again. The tires fitter must know which ones are suitable for your T6 and certainly go for the tires that are suitable for vans (reinforced sidewalls), but he will also know that ;)
Whichever tires you choose, choose ones that, for example, come out well in tests. Tires are super important and I would never save on them: they are the only contact with the road, but this is also not new what I am telling.

Greetings

The cross climate range is confusing. There is the cross climate, the cross climate +, and a cross climate SUV. They all look the same! Check you’ve covered all those bases before deciding they don’t have the correct load rating.

Velma's dad is right about grass and mud. 4motion / proper off road blocky tyre needed for muddy / wet grass conditions, especially if there is a slope involved. I needed to be towed this summer due to my lack of traction uphill on wet grass/ soft ground. The tyres are good in snow wet and dry and return pleasing mpg however so it is mostly positive.

Back