Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cruise Control Failure.

Nomad

Nomad

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
This for info for other VW owners: 2008 T5 California.

I suffered a cruise control total failure whilst touring in Eire last week. Call to VW dealer would require €90 diagnostic and resultant repairs. After searching this forum I was guided to the fuse, (not in VW Manual) all appeared serviceable.
Forum also suggested the clutch or brake pedal operated switches, brake lights etc working fine so i felt it could be the clutch pedal switch. This was available from VW for €60, but on 2-3 day order so didn't fit in with touring. Back home this week so investigated further. You tube has good video on removing pedal covering several T20 torq screws. remove switch connecting block and twist out switch assembly by rotating 45 deg.
Avo meter on switch suggested it was broken (no continuity)

I ordered another from euro car parts £20 part number 464 44 0290, its a brake or clutch switch, 2 pole. cost £22. All working now.

So in summary thank you to the forum for top advice.

This for info for other VW owners: 2008 T5 California.

I suffered a cruise control total failure whilst touring in Eire last week. Call to VW dealer would require €90 diagnostic and resultant repairs. After searching this forum I was guided to the fuse, (not in VW Manual) all appeared serviceable.
Forum also suggested the clutch or brake pedal operated switches, brake lights etc working fine so i felt it could be the clutch pedal switch. This was available from VW for €60, but on 2-3 day order so didn't fit in with touring. Back home this week so investigated further. You tube has good video on removing pedal covering several T20 torq screws. remove switch connecting block and twist out switch assembly by rotating 45 deg.
Avo meter on switch suggested it was broken (no continuity)

I ordered another from euro car parts £20 part number 464 44 0290, its a brake or clutch switch, 2 pole. cost £22. All working now.

So in summary thank you to the forum for top advice.

The cruise control on my Golf failed a couple of years ago. £180 to fix
£60 for the switch
£60 for labour
£60 to make all the bits it was joined onto talk to each other again

Mine failed on my Brera, it was a very cheap switch on the brake and was easy to fit myself. I think it cost me £9 in the end. Hard to reach but a simple plug and play fix. I can't imagine its much different on the T5/6..

II had someone follow me and my brake lights were flickering which was a give away.

Back