Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

CRW & CVRT (Irish California owners)

Eber123

Eber123

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
Good morning,

Maybe this queries is more for Irish California owners....

Yesterday evening I remembered that the van does not need an NCT, but something else. So I looked it up. It seems that motor caravan need a CRW (Certificate of Roadworthiness). In order to get this certificate a CVRT (Commercial Vehicle Roadworthiness Testing) needs to be done. As soon as the van passes this test, I will get the CRW and put the disc onto the windscreen.

But there are a few things that puzzle me. On the CVRT.ie webpage I checked and the van with registration on 172Dxxxxxx CRW has expired 31/07/2018. Because of this I now need to arrange a CVRT.

But also on the CVRT webpage it says, that a motor caravan within the first 3 years "no test required".

Well, the CRW seems has expired, but an CVR Test is not necessary. How do I get the CRW disc, which it seems I need to display?

All this is a bit confusing. I understand that the absence of a CRW come with a high penalty (up to EUR 4,000), obviously I try to avoid that.

To be on the save side I booked a CVR Test for tomorrow afternoon and send an email to my VW dealer asking for help also.

So, finally my question, what have you done with your California? Do you go every year to the CVR Test and do you have the CRW disc on the windscreen?

Thank you for your help.
Regards,
Eberhard

Good afternoon,

Just a short update. My VW dealer rang me back first thing this morning (they are very good) and explained that in the first 4 years no test is needed. After that only every 2nd year.

Why the CRW expired they don't know:

upload_2018-8-13_13-14-35.png

After that I rang the Test Centre in Naas, maybe they had an explanation. But they confirmed what I've been told by my dealer.

Because of this I leave it as it is, but I was wondering why things are so complicated :Depressed.

Regards,
Eberhard

Good evening,

I managed to talk to the test centre in Naas.

I was confirmed that a VW California does not have to have the CVR Test for 4 years. After that every two years.

It also seems that the CRW is not needed until the first test.

Why, on the CVRT.ie webpage, the van is reported with an expired CRW licenses nobody was able to explain...

Why is it so complicated? I don't mind to follow rules (even if they won't make sense ((shouldn't say that...)), but at least it should be clear what it is expected of one.

Well, at least I can forget it for the next 3 years...

Regards,
Eberhard

Back