Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cupboard measurements, carpets and pop top canvas covers

The T-ster

The T-ster

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi! I haven't picked up my cali ocean yet, but wanted to order some storage boxes so they will be here for its arrival!

What are the measurements of the cupboards under the sink? I need width, depth and height to ensure I get the right size. Can anyone help?

I know the one under the sink isn't as big due to the cutlery drawer, so maybe if I could get that measurement to go by - that would be awesome!

Also, I'm buying a 5 seat cali, but won't use the 5th seat! Does the folding bed only use the 2 outer floor runners too pull out? I want to get carpets for the floor and if I don't need the middle runner to be exposed, I would rather have it covered.

Also - whats the best thermal cover for the pop top canvas - so in cold weather I can still have someone sleep upstairs with less noise and to keep toasty warm - eg in snowy weather?

All advice welcome!!!

I'm pretty sure the cupboard mesurements are somewhere to find in a existing thread .
The rear seat only uses the two outer runners if you have three runners,
Do a search on pop-top covers , make a choice inside or outside and go from there , the clubshop is the place to buy....

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the cupboad mesurements are somewhere to find in a existing thread .
The rear seat only uses the two outer runners if you have three runners,
Do a search on pop-top covers , make a choice inside or outside and go from there , the clubshop is the place to buy....
Did a search but couldn't find!
Thanks re the runners
Want it outside I think - hadn't found anything on inside ones. Want canvas to stay dry. Have watched some videos and some are easier to out up and some are warmer - so wanted to know peoples experiences to help. All manufacturers think theirs is the best!

Hi! I haven't picked up my cali ocean yet, but wanted to order some storage boxes so they will be here for its arrival!

What are the measurements of the cupboards under the sink? I need width, depth and height to ensure I get the right size. Can anyone help?

I know the one under the sink isn't as big due to the cutlery drawer, so maybe if I could get that measurement to go by - that would be awesome!

Also, I'm buying a 5 seat cali, but won't use the 5th seat! Does the folding bed only use the 2 outer floor runners too pull out? I want to get carpets for the floor and if I don't need the middle runner to be exposed, I would rather have it covered.

Also - whats the best thermal cover for the pop top canvas - so in cold weather I can still have someone sleep upstairs with less noise and to keep toasty warm - eg in snowy weather?

All advice welcome!!!
Have a wee look at this. https://www.vwcaliforniaclub.com/th...-ikea-chopping-board-trick.19160/#post-219568

we have had our T6 ocean for a year now and have done 19K miles so a lot of learning along the way! I thought that the 5th seat couldn't be fitted to the 4X4 as the centre track isn't in the floor due to the prop shaft being in the way, in any case the single seat must get in the way when putting up the bed. It's telling that there are always second hand single seats coming up for sale unused on the club forum.
Our advice would be to hold off spending until you see how things pan out when using the California and take it on a long run to explore not only a new area but also the camper experience. Everyone has their own take on kit. we are using some of our old lightweight camping stuff which must be at least 30 years old, so on this experience my shout would be buy quality even if it means saving up for the item. A quick inventory of gear bought is :- porta- potti ( virtually no use) go to pubs instead! ; a Cadac gas BBQ which is very good, Thule tie down straps for the awning, a 907 gas cylinder, a set of aluminium bowls which can be used for cooking in, and rubber mats for the front. We drove down to Spain as a running in drive and didn't use any motorways so drove through a lot of rural France and into Spain via the D929 Heches; a great holiday.
The top thermal cover we have found unnecessary, but if you go for one, ask at the club shop; by our research it seems that the internal cover is best but expensive.
NC 500
last May
1584518273423.jpeg

Thanks! Ive spent some time in a cali so know for most part what i need for daily living and to make it comfortable. West coast ireland can be unforgiving which is why need a pop top cover potentially all year round! Will keep the 5th seat if i decide to sell as a 5seater in logbook but have no need as mainly me or 1 or 2 friends only. Yeah dont need a potty, and have sourced where to get gas (not many options here!). Getting rubber mats ok, want comfort under foot though. Curious why you needed tie down straps for the awning? I havent used an awning before - are there different types for set up of it that not all need straps? No need for bbq yet as happy to cook indoors and eat outdoors - again weather factor here lol

I have this one and i like it cos i can pack it in-between the
chairs in the tailgate.

Thanks! Ive spent some time in a cali so know for most part what i need for daily living and to make it comfortable. West coast ireland can be unforgiving which is why need a pop top cover potentially all year round! Will keep the 5th seat if i decide to sell as a 5seater in logbook but have no need as mainly me or 1 or 2 friends only. Yeah dont need a potty, and have sourced where to get gas (not many options here!). Getting rubber mats ok, want comfort under foot though. Curious why you needed tie down straps for the awning? I havent used an awning before - are there different types for set up of it that not all need straps? No need for bbq yet as happy to cook indoors and eat outdoors - again weather factor here lol
I deployed my awning on a wet and low-wind day at the end of a Fjord. A gust of wind picked it up and bent it over my roof. The van wasn’t damaged but the awning was destroyed. If I replaced it, I would use a tie down kit.

Back