Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cupboard Thickness Ocean

Grumpy Mike

Grumpy Mike

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Strange question but I am preparing everything for my collection(next Friday) so I dont need to keep going out..... I am going to mount a TV stand on the cupboard and need to know the approx thickness of the cupboard material.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Michael

IMG_5490.JPG About 5mm material
The edge trim makes it a bit thicker.

Thanks Mr C, that was quick..... Thats thin..... Very thin.... Might have to add some plates or I can see that collapsing as soon as I tighten up the bolts.

Thanks again

Thanks Mr C, that was quick..... Thats thin..... Very thin.... Might have to add some plates or I can see that collapsing as soon as I tighten up the bolts.

Thanks again
Remember the material of the cupboard walls is an Aluminium honeycomb. Easily compressed.

Good idea definitely to use spreader plates on the inside or large penny washers, the sandwich material is not too strong in compression.

If it were me I would use spreader plates/penny washers on both sides. Better engineering by spreading the load equally on both sides.

Two thoughts: What if the walls collapse or distort as the unit is one piece? Will this modification not reduce the vans value? Just my thoughts.

Two thoughts: What if the walls collapse or distort as the unit is one piece? Will this modification not reduce the vans value? Just my thoughts.

What do you think....?
About resale value i do not think when i use my Cali , but drilling holes in the wardrobe (within' eye's view ) is something i would not do.
There are others using a bracket on the headrest and think a solution with suckers could work .
A tablet with a flexible stand .
Think there are many options (if you use the search function you sure find some pictures)

Digger, you are making me think now. Obviously I havent got the Cali yet and would assess before drilling any holes. But think if spread the load with long aluminium plate.. Thinking should be OK... Must admit did see a damaged cupboard in a Cali in a dealers (Rental one) and it didnt look pretty... Really thinking now..

What do you think....?
About resale value i do not think when i use my Cali , but drilling holes in the wardrobe (within' eye's view ) is something i would not do.

I was mounting a TV bracket on the side behind the passenger seat so not so much on view....

Cali 2 - 5.jpg Well, thanks everyone for making me think. Its done now. In place and just as I wanted it. If want to watch TV (News or football) just turn it on. Quite a neat job I think. Getting there now. I love her.