Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Curtain twitchers ...

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
A species of camper mostly found on sites belonging to the two main clubs.

An introverted species, often to be found inside watching television rather than outside enjoying the camping experience or even further out enjoying the outdoors experience.

A species known for being obsessed by rules and absorbed by other peoples activities.

Been on this site two days and had two complaints to the wardens :shocked

The first "report", this morning, was that we were exercising our dogs on the site roads: It turns out we were observed disappearing down another site access road away from the one on which our units are parked with our doggies on leads. All became clear as we stood, heads bowed, in front of the warden. We had just come back from a nice long walk, Jo spotted someone putting up an awning similar to what she wants for her caravan and we went over to say hello and ask advice. Exonerated by the warden!

An hour ago we had another visit. If we are going to "live" in the camper as well as the caravan we need two pitches. I uttered a deep sigh of irritation. I have been cleared by Grinstead towers, HQ of the authority on high, the Caravan Club ruling elite, that as long as gas is switched off, no cooking is being undertaken and only one hook-up in place, it's all ok, just another awning.

"Ah yes" said the warden accusingly, before referring to notes from counsel for the prosecution, "you were seen plugging in the camper as well"!

Not quite. Whilst we were out for a couple of hours walking our dogs I disconnected the Caravan hook-up and plugged it into the camper to top up the leisure batteries as with my fridge being used as a freezer there's quite a drain on them. Only one hook-up in use. Second exoneration of the day.

You just have to smile and feel sorry for the lesser-spotted curtain twitcher.

A species of camper mostly found on sites belonging to the two main clubs.

An introverted species, often to be found inside watching television rather than outside enjoying the camping experience or even further out enjoying the outdoors experience.

A species known for being obsessed by rules and absorbed by other peoples activities.

Been on this site two days and had two complaints to the wardens :shocked

The first "report", this morning, was that we were exercising our dogs on the site roads: It turns out we were observed disappearing down another site access road away from the one on which our units are parked with our doggies on leads. All became clear as we stood, heads bowed, in front of the warden. We had just come back from a nice long walk, Jo spotted someone putting up an awning similar to what she wants for her caravan and we went over to say hello and ask advice. Exonerated by the warden!

An hour ago we had another visit. If we are going to "live" in the camper as well as the caravan we need two pitches. I uttered a deep sigh of irritation. I have been cleared by Grinstead towers, HQ of the authority on high, the Caravan Club ruling elite, that as long as gas is switched off, no cooking is being undertaken and only one hook-up in place, it's all ok, just another awning.

"Ah yes" said the warden accusingly, before referring to notes from counsel for the prosecution, "you were seen plugging in the camper as well"!

Not quite. Whilst we were out for a couple of hours walking our dogs I disconnected the Caravan hook-up and plugged it into the camper to top up the leisure batteries as with my fridge being used as a freezer there's quite a drain on them. Only one hook-up in use. Second exoneration of the day.

You just have to smile and feel sorry for the lesser-spotted curtain twitcher.

O God, how dare you.

Reminds me of a warden at a C&CC site in Dartmoor wish I could remember the name of the site so I could "review" it on every website I could find.

We had another site booked after a long day out but upon arrival it was flooded so we had to find somewhere at short notice unfortunately. We pulled up, the site seemed pretty deserted but looked tidy enough. I think the sign said office only open until 8 and no number to call, no list of empty pitches (they all looked empty), it was about 20:10 so we were a bit unsure what to do.

Usually C&CC have a list of free pitches but this place didn't have one but was pretty much empty. So we pulled up on an empty hard standing near to the office in hope of either getting someones attention or at least being able to pay the next day, C&CC sites are usually pretty great in that respect.

Then he came out of his little cottage, huffing and puffing, and just stood in the middle of the road with his hands on his hips like a grumpy toddler a short distance away. We wandered over asked if we could pay now and he started ranting about just parking up and would we do that at other campsites. To which I replied that C&CC sites usually accommodate it via a list of empty pitches. He continued to be quite rude, seeming to think we would just take it and then still pay him haha. I told him he was incredibly rude and that if he treated his customers like this it was no wonder his site was empty. He was a bit lost for words at that, so we just turned and got back in and left. As we left I advised I'd be talking to head office and he went utterly quiet at that point. We never did of course, life is too short, sad little man.

We then drove on to Woodland Springs which was lovely and the warden couldn't have been more welcoming even though it was quite late. Recommend that place until the cows come home.

Last edited:
I hope you haven't got two Aquaroll's Jen or you really are in trouble!!! :D

I hope you haven't got two Aquaroll's Jen or you really are in trouble!!! :D

It's times like this I am sorry that I got rid of my thetford 335.

Jo and I, each with our own cassette, heading off to the CDP together.

"Two bogs! How dare they!:sad"

Was on a lovely adult only site on the east coat, absolute bliss end pitch birds singing, I thought it cant get better than this, then it started aqua roll after aqua roll, rolling past the van in both directions the noise is quite obtrusive, then said curtain twitchers meet mid aqua roll in front of my van to loudly chat about the best way of empting and filling the roll.
I did not want to complain to the warden it was obvious they had better things to do, like checking how many loos and EHU people had so I just told the aqua rollers to sod off !

Last edited:
I got pulled up this afternoon about having 2 leads connected....warden was really good about it.....apparently he wont be able to see the cables in the dark so just make sure i unplug them in the morning.

@GrannyJen, spotted your van this am.....big yellow flower on the side. I did wave :)

I got pulled up this afternoon about having 2 leads connected....warden was really good about it.....apparently he wont be able to see the cables in the dark so just make sure i unplug them in the morning.

@GrannyJen, spotted your van this am.....big yellow flower on the side. I did wave :)

@Jason wallace sorry I missed you! Where was that? We were going from Ferry Meadows to MnS foodhall at the serpentine centre.

I had the "two lead" lecture at Burrs park. I said "what if I had a splitter allowing me to take a feed off into an awning? Same connectors, same bollards, and there's about a dozen on here using one"....

"Ah, that's different".

Someone will have to educate me how.

I was heading up to ferry meadows, was at the mini roundabout by the garden center, beefeater.

Oh well, if you are back this way then Jo and I would warmly welcome you, and as to be expected, I have some rather nice wines on board :D

Rocked up to our booked, allocated pitch in our old (proper) 1200 Beetle to Ringwood C&CC site some (many) years ago, took the bikes off the roof, leaned them against a stout stake, staking a stout tree, erected our tent, and was approached by the Blockwart who had stood, observing, throughout, 'I want a word with you. Don't chew know the club rules, that stake is to support the tree, not your bloody bikes, if you don't comply with the rules, you'll have to leave'. I asked where we could find that particular rule as ( being a young cop at the time), I was quite used to rules - Blockwart strode away huffing words to the effect, "Youth of today, no respect" etc. Later to cook supper, we lit our little Hibachi barbeque (It was that long ago, yes). Mistake? The smoke began to rise. - Across he strode, "You obviously haven't read the rules, have you?...I pointed to our little BBQ perched on its 2 breeze blocks, brought from their hiding place under a hedge some yards away. "Oh, you have, well make sure you don't damage the grass, then"...Me "Thanks for your help, well call if we need you". He walked away, puzzled - I was later told by another camper "Oh yes, he has a dry sense of humour"…. Arid, I thought. . Still members of said Club. Their approach to customers has improved immensely.

Hmmm.
It’s no wonder I’m going off campsites.
I think we can live with less rules.
I would say the only rules we really need are.

1 be considerate to other campers
2 please be quiet after 9pm
3 leave the toilet/shower block as you expect to find them
4 keep dogs under control and clean up after them
5 see item 1

I do find the Caravan club have some lovely sites, but it’s all very regimental. If that’s the right word.

Hmmm.

5 see item 1

I do find the Caravan club have some lovely sites, but it’s all very regimental. If that’s the right word.
Problem is there are a lot of people who do not believe rules 1 to 4 pertain to them and their little darlings.

Hmmm.

5 see item 1

In an ideal world where everyone shared the same standards I'd agree but sadly we all have our own view of whats acceptable. Unless its spelt out and laminated some people just don't get it!
And as a grumpy old git my tolerance levels are low!

We’ve only stayed on one ‘posh’ site. It was weird. Don’t think I could do another one.

We’ve only stayed on one ‘posh’ site. It was weird. Don’t think I could do another one.
Posh? my well off pals think we are very eccentric avoiding decent hotels/QM2 liners etc to enjoy the privilege of sharing facilities that are accessed by a walk in the rain.
I tell them they just don't know what they are missing but that just brings out more laughter.

Hmmm.

5 see item 1

Yes, it can be regimental. Most of the time it doesn't bother me, I stop there for the sites and the amenities and as long as I'm respectful to the place and others then they can have whatever rules they like. However it is also true that sometimes the employees see themselves as custodians of the rules rather than facilitators for an enjoyable leisure experience and see t the "customers" as the inmates.

Last edited:
I remember staying on a site in Keswick some years ago. This site had a one-way rule for the ‘road’ which meandered through it for a few hundred yards. We were the very last pitch just a couple of yards from the start of the one way ‘system’ so thought it would be quieter and more environmentally friendly to reverse the length of the van to the pitch rather than drive round the site every time. You guessed it, Mr Clippy (clipboard in hand a’la Dennis Norden) paid us a visit. “Can’t you follow the rules, it’s the law You know”. Such happy days, makes for a relaxing break.

Hmmm.

5 see item 1

I think the word you were after is regimented. Only a subtle difference. Sorry to be pedantic, but you did ask!

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with rules but there no excuse for rudeness to people who at the end of the day are your customers, they could say "Could I ask that you don't lean your bike there", or "Here are some blocks for your bbq, hope you have a good time." rather than the instant accusations and confrontations of some of these folks. Glad it's only some sites.

What is it about campsite work that attracts the type of warden who thinks you are an inconvenience who might spoil their grass. I think some of them would prefer to be in a field on their own.

There is nothing wrong with rules but there no excuse for rudeness to people who at the end of the day are your customers, they could say "Could I ask that you don't lean your bike there", or "Here are some blocks for your bbq, hope you have a good time." rather than the instant accusations and confrontations of some of these folks. Glad it's only some sites.

What is it about campsite work that attracts the type of warden who thinks you are an inconvenience who might spoil their grass. I think some of them would prefer to be in a field on their own.
Exactly like Yes Minister, where the hospitals worked best before they were open to patients!

I was on a camp that said. '' please leave the toilets as you would expect to find them''. So I left the tap running. Broke the door lock. Smeared crap on the walls and nicked the bog roll.

Back