Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

cycle cover for vw bike carrier

C

caliblue

caliblue
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
can anyone recommend a cover for two bikes on the vw bike carrier?

I've been trying to find a solution myself, there doesn't appear to be a custom made cover, and the Fiamma ones say they aren't suitable for the Cali rack.

I bought two halfords covers thinking I would clamp each bike over the cover, but I didn't bother in the end, thought it was too much hassle and just took them on holiday without!

We have tried several but because the bikes sit so high on the back most covers turn into a parachute unless seriously strapped down, we now just leave the bikes to get wet as at the end of he day we all cycle in the rain? As mentioned above the Fiamma ones are not at all practical and are designed for motorhomes ..

Martin said:
We have tried several but because the bikes sit so high on the back most covers turn into a parachute unless seriously strapped down, we now just leave the bikes to get wet as at the end of he day we all cycle in the rain? As mentioned above the Fiamma ones are not at all practical and are designed for motorhomes ..

nice one martin i was looking at the fiamma covers for my bikes more for safety really while on and off the rack...but maybe just carry on with the lock and spend the money on some other treats at smg :thumb

Are the Taylor made ones any use? Not too worried about my road bikes but I'd like to keep my track bike dry and clean.

Jim

Before I invest money in the more expensive options for the Cali I like to try cheaper alternatives. Sometimes it doesn't work out but other times it saves quite a bit of money. I bought two individual cycle covers from Aldi for £2.90 each. After a bit of experimenting I found that I can fit the covers then load the bikes onto the VW rack in positions two and three (with the lock). The retaining arms can grip the top tube (cross bar) on each bike just as if they did not have covers on. I use a bungy to take any slack out of the cover (below the handlebars). The only parts of the bikes visible are the bottom of each wheel which allows me to fasten the straps as normal. I am fortunate because one of the bikes has a sloping top tube and a slightly smaller frame which I load first and this allows the lockable retaining arm to fit over the top of it to secure the second bike. I have no doubt that the covers will not last as long as some of the more expensive options but I could buy twenty Aldi covers for the price of one! My wife calls me a skinflint but I cannot understand why!!!

Hi Bill - this sounds interesting! Just bought a couple of electric bikes and was wondering how to protect them on a forthcoming trip to Portugal in May. Did you take any photos of your solution? Best regards, David.

Hi Bill - this sounds interesting! Just bought a couple of electric bikes and was wondering how to protect them on a forthcoming trip to Portugal in May. Did you take any photos of your solution? Best regards, David.
Best to PM @Bill as he was last on the Forum in October last, so not a frequent visitor.

finding that the bars holding the frame stop the use of any covers going over the bikes..any clues? butcher my existing cover.. thulle i think...

upload_2018-10-14_21-29-14.jpeg
Sorry David. I’m just reading your request for a photo now. Don’t know how that happened. The photo relates to my entry from April 2016. Each bike has its own cover which means they can be covered whilst on the ground then loaded onto the rack. This is taken at Ullapool on a 3 week tour of the top of Scotland where we had rain (often torrential) almost every day so I was glad the bikes were covered (on and off the rack). Don’t know if this helps you Birty. The clamps on the bike rack fit over the top of the covers and grip the top tube as normal. Bungees take up the slack.

Would having one of them not be like having
a parachute on the back ?
Seeing how much it protrudes over the roof.

A carrier bag over the bike seats seems to work for us.

Agreed it might be better if rack was mounted a bit lower but as long as the slack is taken up to ensure a tight fit it hasn’t been an issue for us.

wrapping and fitting each bike individually..Didn't consider that and not what I was hoping for but I suppose it would work.. Thanks

I've tried covers, cheap tarps etc with bungees and as with others they do turn into parachutes and in general end up a PITA. We take two 'pub' bikes only on the rear when camping that any of the family can ride and they are not theft magnets so don't worry anymore. Still lock them very well of course.

With 'nice' bikes and electric bikes then covers are a great idea and definitely when you don't want to 'advertise' exactly what you are carrying.

I'd maybe get a heavy duty tarp (similar to below) and custom make something to fit perfectly with the eyelets below and some paracord:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toolzone...h=item3b1d7743b5:g:nRkAAOSw23lZt9vn:rk:2:pf:0

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tarpauli...d31f59c88:m:m6YPt6NmbcZsqZkKh5ixq8A:rk:2:pf:0

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270GSM-T...m=142616398016&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851