soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon

Kennycalifornia
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Hi

I’m off to the Lakes in a couple of days. It’s been a few years since I last visited the area.

I can’t decide wether to take our bikes. The issue being, child friendly (5 year old) car free routes.
We visited Cornwall last week. Other than the Camel Trail. Most routes involve sections of road which I don’t want to take him on.
He’s fine, tourist drivers around narrow country roads, not so much…

Any info or experience of child friendly cycling in the Lakes…?

Im camping in Rock near the Camel Trail now and wouldn’t want to cycles round here myself, never mind with a 5 year old. hardly any cyclists about which is a shame. Lakes is better ... a few options here

Hi

I’m off to the Lakes in a couple of days. It’s been a few years since I last visited the area.

I can’t decide wether to take our bikes. The issue being, child friendly (5 year old) car free routes.
We visited Cornwall last week. Other than the Camel Trail. Most routes involve sections of road which I don’t want to take him on.

Esk trail in the lakes; combine with a steam train ride.

Mineral Tramways Coast to Coast from Devoran to Portreath next time you’re in Cornwall. Old mining tramway, choose your section or do the lot when a bit older. 15 miles each way if done in toto, all off road, just a small section around Scorrier on pavement. Portreath bakery does excellent pasties, or a really good chippy by the beach. It’s a history lesson through mining country at the same time. And some great downhill and jumps in a couple of places en route - Cornish Mars and Unity Woods, for when he’s a little older.

Or the Great Flat Lode, around Camborne and Carn Brae area. Circular route, more mining history, and all off road. Lovely riding for a youngster.

Im camping in Rock near the Camel Trail now and wouldn’t want to cycles round here myself, never mind with a 5 year old. hardly any cyclists about which is a shame. Lakes is better ... a few options here
You’re on the wrong side of the Camel. You can’t get more child friendly than the Camel trail itself, the section from Padstow to Wadebridge in particular is flat, completely car free and has stunning views. The rest of they trail is a fine cycle too.

You’re on the wrong side of the Camel. You can’t get more child friendly than the Camel trail itself, the section from Padstow to Wadebridge in particular is flat, completely car free and has stunning views. The rest of they trail is a fine cycle too.
Sorry I meant anywhere other than the camel trail, which looks ideal though we didn’t bring bikes this time as I knew opportunities were limited. The number of wide Range Rovers, Q7s and Californias is staggering!

Ah, got you. Rock is notorious, Kensington-on Sea or other variations on the theme. With house prices to match. It‘s not really Cornwall. Padstow is of course similar in many ways, but somehow retains enough character and authenticity from it’s routes to pull it off.

Hi

I cycled from Greenwich to Hastings over three days with my six year old. I’m very comfortable with him on roads: I just cycle behind and about 2 feet further into the centre of the road than him.

Here he is crossing Tower Bridge.

cb8183a3c5e099062c63cf25679c0240.jpg

On this occasion I told him to stay in the centre of the lane and not to pass the slower moving traffic.

Hi

This is quite nice.

Grizedale forest has some nice trails (steam trains nearby too at Haverthwaite).
Whinlatter bike park has some nice blue trails with a good surface.

I cycled from Greenwich to Hastings over three days with my six year old. I’m very comfortable with him on roads: I just cycle behind and about 2 feet further into the centre of the road than him.

Here he is crossing Tower Bridge.

cb8183a3c5e099062c63cf25679c0240.jpg

On this occasion I told him to stay in the centre of the lane and not to pass the slower moving traffic.

He rides on the road in our town when he has to. Mum and Dad act as leader and blocker. I sit just off centre to force cars to properly think about the pass.
Country lanes are more challenging. Faster moving traffic, no lane defining and drivers who don’t know the roads.

He’s doing well @Amarillo, great picture.

He rides on the road in our town when he has to. Mum and Dad act as leader and blocker. I sit just off centre to force cars to properly think about the pass.
Country lanes are more challenging. Faster moving traffic, no lane defining and drivers who don’t know the roads.

He’s doing well @Amarillo, great picture.
Last November/December we had a whole school competition using Strava to see who could cycle the furthest. Out of ~650 children aged 3-11 Ben aged 6 came third. His longest ride was Greenwich to Gatwick along the Waterlink Way, crossing the North Downs.
A9B9FC8E-3D7B-4CA1-86B4-CD149D5C7C1A.png
44 miles and 2000ft of ascent