Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

D ring rail anchor for securing a dog

Ladymuck

Ladymuck

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Once this is installed can the lower bed be used with out having to remove it? I have bought one but it's no use really if I can't set the bed up. Thought I'd ask before I bother installing it...

Assuming you mean this one, as sold in the club shop, I can't see why it wouldnt be possible. Because it is placed at the end of the rail. When we (T5) make the downstairs bed our portapotti still fits in front of it. So room enough I'd say. Haven't tried it though, so I just went outside to my van to check it for you. The portapotti extends past the end part of the rail where you would fit the D-ring. So yeah, I believe it will fit. The description in the club shop says that placing the D-ring in the rails is more hassle for a T6 but I assume it would still go in the same spot; at the end of the rail. And except for the end caps, I don't think the rails differs much between T5 and T6. But I'm sure a T6- and dogowner will come along shortly and give you a definitive answer.

Dodger-Charlie-Cali.jpg

Assuming you mean this one, as sold in the club shop, I can't see why it wouldnt be possible. Because it is placed at the end of the rail. When we (T5) make the downstairs bed our portapotti still fits in front of it. So room enough I'd say. Haven't tried it though, so I just went outside to my van to check it for you. The portapotti extends past the end part of the rail where you would fit the D-ring. So yeah, I believe it will fit. The description in the club shop says that placing the D-ring in the rails is more hassle for a T6 but I assume it would still go in the same spot; at the end of the rail. And except for the end caps, I don't think the rails differs much between T5 and T6. But I'm sure a T6- and dogowner will come along shortly and give you a definitive answer.

Dodger-Charlie-Cali.jpg
Yes I read about it being a bit of a fiddle on more recent vans, I was thinking you wouldn't be able to bring the bench seat far enough forward but actually it will only be where the plastic part was, so might be ok..

I know it's a bit late to suggest an alternative, but I use this for my 40Kg greyhound.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00EPKH45U/?tag=eliteelect-21
We've got 2 kids so all seatbelts are being used

Yes I read about it being a bit of a fiddle on more recent vans, I was thinking you wouldn't be able to bring the bench seat far enough forward but actually it will only be where the plastic part was, so might be ok..

We've got 2 kids so all seatbelts are being used
Unless removed, there is a removable Stop in the rail nearest the kitchen to stop the bench seat going too far forward. Locate this stop by running a screwdriver down the rail from front to rear. As long as the D ring is located between the Stop and plastic end piece of the rail, then there will be no problem putting bench into bed mode.
Ps, the Stop can be removed if you wish.

Unless removed, there is a removable Stop in the rail nearest the kitchen to stop the bench seat going too far forward. Locate this stop by running a screwdriver down the rail from front to rear. As long as the D ring is located between the Stop and plastic end piece of the rail, then there will be no problem putting bench into bed mode.
Ps, the Stop can be removed if you wish.
Thank you

Once this is installed can the lower bed be used with out having to remove it? I have bought one but it's no use really if I can't set the bed up. Thought I'd ask before I bother installing it...
Yes - We have one for the same purpose and it works fine without stopping the beds so it stays there all the time. I leave a shock absorber leash attached to it all the time. 4B01C5D9-2BFE-417C-BF96-A34F36BEFC81.jpeg

Yes - We have one for the same purpose and it works fine without stopping the beds so it stays there all the time. I leave a shock absorber leash attached to it all the time. View attachment 76223
PS fitting it isnt difficult, from memory you just have to lift the plastic end cap on the rail a bit with a screwdriver and then slide the baseplate into position. IMO its best located on the inner rail then there is no danger of pup bailing out when the slider opens!

PS fitting it isnt difficult, from memory you just have to lift the plastic end cap on the rail a bit with a screwdriver and then slide the baseplate into position. IMO its best located on the inner rail then there is no danger of pup bailing out when the slider opens!
Good point about it going on the inner rail. I am in two minds about using it though, thinking it will get in my way and will keep treading on it !

Good point about it going on the inner rail. I am in two minds about using it though, thinking it will get in my way and will keep treading on it !
I was concerned about that as well and thats another reason for using the inner rail. In practice its actually out of the way and nobody has tripped over it yet! We have a dog bed pretty much permanently in situ and that is more hassle tbh!

I was concerned about that as well and thats another reason for using the inner rail. In practice its actually out of the way and nobody has tripped over it yet! We have a dog bed pretty much permanently in situ and that is more hassle tbh!
Good point about the dog bed, although i suspect my poodle will be sneaking onto the passenger seat to sleep! Unless I harness him in

Yes - We have one for the same purpose and it works fine without stopping the beds so it stays there all the time. I leave a shock absorber leash attached to it all the time. View attachment 76223
You screwed it through your carpet, effectively making the carpet permanent?

Pup can also see the driver a little bit easier, which gives her some comfort when it’s just the 2 of you

You screwed it through your carpet, effectively making the carpet permanent?
No - they are cheapo mats from Dunelm. I cut out a triangular bit for the D-ring to go through. The mats stop a lot of dog hair, sand and child detritus from falling down the into the rail channels. And the mats go in the wash.

We just have a carabiner clip on the driver's seat belt anchor and tether the dog to that.
Yes - we used that solution when we hired a van before buying ours. But had a couple of the aforementioned pup bail out scenarios so I decided on an anchor to prevent that.

We just have a carabiner clip on the driver's seat belt anchor and tether the dog to that.
Do you mean something like this? Did the clip bit go round the seat belt ? Do you have a clip at both ends ?

Screenshot_20210405-183626_Amazon Shopping.jpg

We had the floor anchor in our T5, never a problem and found the bench drawer could open over it also.
Have bought another for our 6.1, when it arrives...

That's a really good idea, going to try this before trying the D ring, thank you !
It's crude but works okay. We used to attach a longish flat web strap and then our mutt could roam around a bit outside while we kept the sliding door shut. (These days she's more inclined to stay in the van with us big dogs).

I find those stainless clips handy generally, you can get them cheap on Ebay or Amazon.

It's crude but works okay. We used to attach a longish flat web strap and then our mutt could roam around a bit outside while we kept the sliding door shut. (These days she's more inclined to stay in the van with us big dogs).

I find those stainless clips handy generally, you can get them cheap on Ebay or Amazon.
Really good tip - thanks - and cheaper than the D ring

We have a T6 (2019) and fitted one ( I did need help from the forum to fit it, bit fiddly)
But useful for the dog

F5910F50-780D-4948-BFE3-E0207F12FB35.jpeg