Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Damage to bodywork on Ferry

Azteccamper

Azteccamper

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi.
Had an incredibly rough crossing on the Brittany Ferries Fast Ferry from Portsmouth - Cherbourg on Sunday. After a journey of watching children and adults continuously use their ‘sac mal de mer’ we eventually arrived an hour late and made our way sheepishly to the vehicle decks.
My Cali was in a run of similar vans along the side wall. Did a quick check before being told to move along as cars were eagerly waiting to start their hols. Got in drove off quietly and stopped outside port to check bikes on back. Then spotted a 4cm diameter mark where something has continuously rubbed / gouged the paintwork down to the metal. I was not allowed back into the port due to customs etc.
I have emailed Brittany Ferries and am awaiting a reply.
Anyone else had this type of issue?
Is there anything I can do apart from write and ask for support in paying for repair?
Is this a lost cause?

Cheers for any helpful advice. Apologies if I do not answer immediately as we intend to just get on with our Western France, Northern Spain and bit of Portugal tour before returning from Bilbao in a month.

Aztec

Hi.
Had an incredibly rough crossing on the Brittany Ferries Fast Ferry from Portsmouth - Cherbourg on Sunday. After a journey of watching children and adults continuously use their ‘sac mal de mer’ we eventually arrived an hour late and made our way sheepishly to the vehicle decks.
My Cali was in a run of similar vans along the side wall. Did a quick check before being told to move along as cars were eagerly waiting to start their hols. Got in drove off quietly and stopped outside port to check bikes on back. Then spotted a 4cm diameter mark where something has continuously rubbed / gouged the paintwork down to the metal. I was not allowed back into the port due to customs etc.
Is there anything I can do apart from write and ask for support in paying for repair?
Is this a lost cause?

Cheers for any helpful advice. Apologies if I do not answer immediately as we intend to just get on with our Western France, Northern Spain and bit of Portugal tour before returning from Bilbao in a month.

Aztec
Those fast cats are also deservedly known as Vomit Comets.

Those fast cats are also deservedly known as Vomit Comets.
I think you will be unlikely to be able to claim from Brittany Ferries as you did not report it to the on-board staff and hence be unable to actually prove it happened on the ferry. I know this isn’t what you wanted to hear, but see The Terms & Conditions as below.
Best bet will be your own car insurance I’m afraid.

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/information/holiday-conditions
CONDITIONS OF CARRIAGE
Carriage is subject to our Conditions of Carriage and The Athens Convention relating to the Carriage of Passengers and their Luggage by Sea 1974 (The "Athens Convention" as amended by the 2002 protocol and which includes Orders made in relation to the Athens Convention). The Athens Convention limits liability for death or personal injury or loss or damage to 'luggage', which includes vehicles and makes special provision for valuables. The limits of liability are laid down by Orders issued from time to time under Merchant Shipping Act 1995 and Merchant Shipping Regulations 2012. It presumes that 'luggage' has been landed undamaged, unless we, as the carrier, have been advised in writing of apparent damage before or at the time of leaving the ferry. In the case of non-apparent damage written notice must be given within 15 days of leaving the ferry. No written notice is required where the luggage has been jointly inspected before leaving the ferry. The Athens Convention applies to all people travelling on our vessels. It imposes strict time limits for registering claims. Copies of our Conditions of Carriage, which incorporate relevant provisions of the above Convention, are available from us on request. You are responsible for the security and safekeeping of your possessions and Brittany Ferries cannot be held liable for the loss or theft of any items. High value items should be lodged with the Purser for safekeeping.

I think you will be unlikely to be able to claim from Brittany Ferries as you did not report it to the on-board staff and hence be unable to actually prove it happened on the ferry. I know this isn’t what you wanted to hear, but see The Terms & Conditions as below.
Best bet will be your own car insurance I’m afraid.

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/information/holiday-conditions
CONDITIONS OF CARRIAGE
Carriage is subject to our Conditions of Carriage and The Athens Convention relating to the Carriage of Passengers and their Luggage by Sea 1974 (The "Athens Convention" as amended by the 2002 protocol and which includes Orders made in relation to the Athens Convention). The Athens Convention limits liability for death or personal injury or loss or damage to 'luggage', which includes vehicles and makes special provision for valuables. The limits of liability are laid down by Orders issued from time to time under Merchant Shipping Act 1995 and Merchant Shipping Regulations 2012. It presumes that 'luggage' has been landed undamaged, unless we, as the carrier, have been advised in writing of apparent damage before or at the time of leaving the ferry. In the case of non-apparent damage written notice must be given within 15 days of leaving the ferry. No written notice is required where the luggage has been jointly inspected before leaving the ferry. The Athens Convention applies to all people travelling on our vessels. It imposes strict time limits for registering claims. Copies of our Conditions of Carriage, which incorporate relevant provisions of the above Convention, are available from us on request. You are responsible for the security and safekeeping of your possessions and Brittany Ferries cannot be held liable for the loss or theft of any items. High value items should be lodged with the Purser for safekeeping.

Thanks WG.
It is as I expected.
I have written and sent photograph showing the bare, shiny metal. I’ll update if positive outcome. Not a huge job I am sure but still annoying and will undoubtedly cost a few pounds to rectify. I’ll wait until I get home before bothering insurance. Local body shop will do a fine repair I’m sure.
Cheers.

I photograph my entire vehicle very obviously when I leave it on the ferry and check when I get back to it. Always pays to be suspicious.

I photograph my entire vehicle very obviously when I leave it on the ferry and check when I get back to it. Always pays to be suspicious.
I'm with you...

I have found the worst culprits for near damage are other travellers been sat in my van as people open tail gates on to my bumper/ bonnet and go down the sides with ruck sacks ,bags ,kids not a care in the world for vehicles does my head in .I am last up to the lounge and 1st back to the deck to glare at the offenders and give them the watch it mate .Like the photo route another use of my time on the high seas.

I had my wing mirror battered by great white as he was in such a hurry to get off the ferry, tried to blame the motorcycles for pushing him over!

If gap tight to next vehicle I keep my mirrors out if sat in the van and most of the time it will stop them coming past they might think about It but a fist behind the mirror does the trick oh I love my holidays

Hi.
Is this a lost cause?

Aztec
Happened to me twice in the past, once on P & O Dover Calais, once on Brittany Ferries. Both times I checked the vehicle on getting down to the car deck and showed it to the load master before moving.
Both times I was in a lorry and I’d been told always to check for damages.
The damage was paid for by the ferry companies.

Back