Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Damaged wing mirror :(

T64ME

T64ME

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Driver side wing mirror on my T6 Ocean was hit (mirror 2 mirror) on Tuesday by an Evoque driven by someone who wasn't aware he could use his brakes on a narrow country lane......

All the electrics seem to be working ok at the moment, but there is a noticeable gap between the cover and it won't clip back together - see pics. The one use plastic clips holding it together have probably snapped.

Was at a VW dealer yesterday for an oil change and their view was that there shouldn't be an issue with water penetration, water gets into the mirrors anyway, and advised against using any sealant to reduce water penetration and help hold it together. Advised to get unit replaced when it stops working.

Would welcome any feedback including are the electric components in the mirrors ok getting wet ?

Ideally would like to extend the life of current unit to avoid a £350 bill! Heading along the coast of Wales next week on route to Scotland so will be seeing a lot of rain over coming weeks:(

Many thanks

David
IMG_8269.JPG IMG_8270.JPG

Driver side wing mirror on my T6 Ocean was hit (mirror 2 mirror) on Tuesday by an Evoque driven by someone who wasn't aware he could use his brakes on a narrow country lane......

All the electrics seem to be working ok at the moment, but there is a noticeable gap between the cover and it won't clip back together - see pics. The one use plastic clips holding it together have probably snapped.

Was at a VW dealer yesterday for an oil change and their view was that there shouldn't be an issue with water penetration, water gets into the mirrors anyway, and advised against using any sealant to reduce water penetration and help hold it together. Advised to get unit replaced when it stops working.

Would welcome any feedback including are the electric components in the mirrors ok getting wet ?

Ideally would like to extend the life of current unit to avoid a £350 bill! Heading along the coast of Wales next week on route to Scotland so will be seeing a lot of rain over coming weeks:(

Many thanks

David
View attachment 25499 View attachment 25500
I had this on my previous van, the internal lugs had snapped off the cover, I purchased a new cover for around £30 that was already colour coded. Quite an easy job to replace, just a bit fiddly. This was a T5 so it may be slightly different for a T6

Easy to replace but you are likely to need the bottom trim as well as the lugs tend to break off when you separate them.

Martin & Loz - Many thanks for the helpful replies. I'll admit to being fairly incompetent when it comes to technical matters - is the best place to source these new parts EBay or VW dealer?
Thank you

I would like to know where you sourced a colour-coded replacement. I was quoted a three figure charge to have one sprayed to match by Breeze on my t5.

I had similar damage. Rather than fork out for new parts and have the same thing happen again I just used a clear silicon sealant to fix the cover in place. Using masking tape to protect the visible bits ... Worked a treat!

My drivers side wing mirror is currently held together by duck tape having picked up the the upper and lower casing parts off the road on a narrow lane in Snowdonia last week. Transit van who clearly didn't know how wide his van was, and didn't bother stopping. Electrics all ok fortunately but - and more to the point - I have ordered a genuine ( so I am assured) upper casing sprayed indium grey and lower casing from a company who advertise on eBay but recommended to me by a work colleague who has used them recently following a similar incident. Total cost £69.40 incl p&p, 5 day turn around, I ordered yesterday. I'm not going to put their details on here until I have seen their work but happy to pass them on, work unseen, if you pm me.

Or maybe try a breakers yard. You never know you might be lucky - I was (when someone clobbered the mirror in our Corsa a few years back).

We have a lot of narrow(ish) lanes near us. One in particular is a busy shortcut. My wife has forbidden me to drive down it in the Cali!

As I live rurally most of my driving is country lanes and after hitting my wing mirror once too often I'm getting used to driving with the mirrors wound up. I don't need them on the lanes, just got to remember to wind them back out once I get to civilisation.

I've been quoted over £100 to supply, spray and fit one nearside cover top and bottom. That's daft. It's currently held on by tape. I have been thinking about just replacing both with black covers. costs are peanuts in comparison. It's my daily driver and I know I'll clonk one again eventually!

My drivers side wing mirror is currently held together by duck tape having picked up the the upper and lower casing parts off the road on a narrow lane in Snowdonia last week. Transit van who clearly didn't know how wide his van was, and didn't bother stopping. Electrics all ok fortunately but - and more to the point - I have ordered a genuine ( so I am assured) upper casing sprayed indium grey and lower casing from a company who advertise on eBay but recommended to me by a work colleague who has used them recently following a similar incident. Total cost £69.40 incl p&p, 5 day turn around, I ordered yesterday. I'm not going to put their details on here until I have seen their work but happy to pass them on, work unseen, if you pm me.
Bits arrived middle of last week as promised, fitted them yesterday. All looks good to me, paintwork spot on and parts identical to the damaged ones - apart from the scrapes, cracks and broken clips that is. Easy to fit. This is the company I used, pretty sure I'll be needing them again at some point...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252413502...f477972679b&bu=43165396645&cp=1&sojTags=bu=bu

Bits arrived middle of last week as promised, fitted them yesterday. All looks good to me, paintwork spot on and parts identical to the damaged ones - apart from the scrapes, cracks and broken clips that is. Easy to fit. This is the company I used, pretty sure I'll be needing them again at some point...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252413502...f477972679b&bu=43165396645&cp=1&sojTags=bu=bu
Many thanks for confirming a good quality replacement - pleased you have it fixed and will order one

Hello
The other evening a KH of a driver who obviously suffers from judgement deficit disorder, performed a instantaneous modification to the drivers side wing mirror of my 2008 California, I called into my local VW commercial van dealer and explained which parts had flown off into the ether my the impact occurred, these were Mirror Cap Primed, £25.39 Mirror Glass (aspherical wide angle) heated with carrier plate, £50.53 Bezel for exterior mirror (Satin Black) £10.86 & Trim (Satin Black) £6.78. Total with VAT £112.27. Now for the shock, I was informed that to spray the Mirror Cap to colour code would add an additional £72.00. I don't think so, I will take a look around. The guy who dealt with my inquiry brought the diagram up of the wing mirror for my Cali it showed all its constituent parts of the assembly which was very useful. If any member of this forum knows of a cheaper alternative source for these parts, I would be most grateful,

Saludos Graham

Hello
The other evening a KH of a driver who obviously suffers from judgement deficit disorder, performed a instantaneous modification to the drivers side wing mirror of my 2008 California, I called into my local VW commercial van dealer and explained which parts had flown off into the ether my the impact occurred, these were Mirror Cap Primed, £25.39 Mirror Glass (aspherical wide angle) heated with carrier plate, £50.53 Bezel for exterior mirror (Satin Black) £10.86 & Trim (Satin Black) £6.78. Total with VAT £112.27. Now for the shock, I was informed that to spray the Mirror Cap to colour code would add an additional £72.00. I don't think so, I will take a look around. The guy who dealt with my inquiry brought the diagram up of the wing mirror for my Cali it showed all its constituent parts of the assembly which was very useful. If any member of this forum knows of a cheaper alternative source for these parts, I would be most grateful,

Saludos Graham
Fleabay

Hello

Saludos Graham

Sorry to hear of your woes - try these guys who worked for me and Kernowboy.....

You could always buy a plain black mirror casing or even better, a primed casing and spray it yourself. You can buy ready mixed aerosol paint from ebay and it comes with clear lacquer. If the casing doesn't come primed then you will need plastic primer too. Total cost less than £30 for painting and a couple of hours of your time.