Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dartmoor

kurienp

kurienp

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Planning a day trip to Dartmoor this Saturday - my first in the California. Any suggestions on any good places to park up within the park, other than the parking lots? Just a cuppa tea, a short cycle ride and then back. It will be a 300 mile round trip, but that's fine - the drive in the Cali is enjoyable anyways.

Thanks @MattBW , yes seen that. Thankfully, no restrictions on visiting. Looking for any places that are good to visit within the park. Planning on a few miles of cycling with my wife ... who is not a long distance oriented cyclist :)

We used to have family in Mary Tavy; Whole area around there is very nice.

Thanks @MattBW , yes seen that. Thankfully, no restrictions on visiting. Looking for any places that are good to visit within the park. Planning on a few miles of cycling with my wife ... who is not a long distance oriented cyclist :)
I posted it for the carpark info :)

The site has their carpark locations, there are lots of gravel parking places, they can get busy sometimes but there are plenty of them. Just drive through and take your pick.

Hound Tor is one of the bigger car parks that I can think of.

At present you’ll be best staying around the North Moor area, Okehampton ish.
Weekend on the South Moor, Merrivale, hound Tor, Haytor , Venford , hexworthy is like Piccadilly Circus at the moment, trying to locate a quite Car park will be hard.
What kind of riding are you thinking Road or MTB, what sort of distance?

At present you’ll be best staying around the North Moor area, Okehampton ish.
Weekend on the South Moor, Merrivale, hound Tor, Haytor , Venford , hexworthy is like Piccadilly Circus at the moment, trying to locate a quite Car park will be hard.
What kind of riding are you thinking Road or MTB, what sort of distance?
Thank you Cali1, with the wife along, it will be road or cycle paths. Not too much on distance - something like 15 to 20 miles.

Ok, I have a think and get back to tomorrow with a couple of ideas

Okehampton camp is the best place as only locals tend to go up there so is never too busy, go past the army checkpoint and past the first parking area, you will then come to another parking area where you can park up next to the stream. Plenty of tracks and quiet roads there too.

Last edited:
We used to live in Okehampton and can recommend parking at the Meldon reservoir just off the A30 on the edge of the moor. Fantastic spot to walk up onto the moor, old quarries and right next to the Meldon viaduct.
You can also pick up the granite way cycle path here which is perfect for a ‘comfortable’ ride part utilising disused railway tracks and will take you down to Lydford Castle and back (approx 15-20miles).
Also the National Trust Lydford Gorge well worth a stroll round but no idea if that’s back open yet.

Lovely part of the country on the rare days it doesn’t rain!

We used to live in Okehampton and can recommend parking at the Meldon reservoir just off the A30 on the edge of the moor. Fantastic spot to walk up onto the moor, old quarries and right next to the Meldon viaduct.
You can also pick up the granite way cycle path here which is perfect for a ‘comfortable’ ride part utilising disused railway tracks and will take you down to Lydford Castle and back (approx 15-20miles).
Also the National Trust Lydford Gorge well worth a stroll round but no idea if that’s back open yet.

Nice area, the Gorge is good :thumb

It's not known as soakhampton to locals for nothing , I can be in full sunshine at home 20 mins up the road and it will be thick cloud and raining in Oke

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

jeez... what’s the big deal?

So he wants to go for an extended first drive because he’s thrilled about trying out his new California. Wow.

I often ride a motorbike with no purpose/destination in mind whilst emitting all those nitrogen oxides, hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide purely for the pleasure of riding.

I too am selfish.

Last edited:
Sorry late reply- above comments ref locations are great, okehampton camp and Meldon.
Another couple of options with one in the South moor

Whiteworks Parking Area
Unnamed Road, 6SL, Yelverton

White works Car park Princetown.
Cycle ride into Tavistock return via Yelverton using cycle track

Belstone Car Park
Belstone, Okehampton EX20 1RB

Cycle Sticklepath - okehampton country lanes

Sorry late reply- above comments ref locations are great, okehampton camp and Meldon.
Another couple of options with one in the South moor

Whiteworks Parking Area
Unnamed Road, 6SL, Yelverton

White works Car park Princetown.
Cycle ride into Tavistock return via Yelverton using cycle track

Belstone Car Park
Belstone, Okehampton EX20 1RB

Cycle Sticklepath - okehampton country lanes
Thank you Cali1. Appreciate the inputs.

I went to Southampton yesterday. It was not a social trip, medical, clinical research purposes,

I took the long way round just for the buzz of being in Alfie for a while. Up over the South Downs,

tut tut. How awful, however after 10 weeks of being caged up I just couldn't resist it.

I went to Southampton yesterday. It was not a social trip, medical, clinical research purposes,

I took the long way round just for the buzz of being in Alfie for a while. Up over the South Downs,

tut tut. How awful, however after 10 weeks of being caged up I just couldn't resist it.
Lucky you. :thumb

Lucky you. :thumb

I have had other outings ....

A drive to Worthing hospital and a drive to a clinical establishment in Guildford, ever so exciting :shocked

This was release though, freedom, I was almost raising the roof to get the wind in my hair but then remembered ... it was not that type of roof :(

Thank you Cali1, Martin and WillSS for your inputs. Had a fantastic day in Dartmoor. A great place indeed. Went with Martin's suggestion as we wanted to stay away from the crowds.

A 6 AM start with cycles and everything else loaded. A great drive all the way.

IMG_20200530_062524.jpg

One short 5 min break and a stretch at Sedgemoor, (until Sedgemoor, with Adaptive Cruise, I touched the brakes only once, when getting off the M4 onto the M5. Loved it.), saw us getting into Dartmoor at 9 AM.

IMG_20200530_092631.jpg

Went to the parking lot further down the road as suggested by Martin, and there was lots of space there ... and definitely a less busy parking lot.

IMG_20200530_093500.jpg

A nice quiet view. so cool and calm to the eyes and mind.

IMG_20200530_095636.jpg

and then it was time for a good breakfast. Yummy!

IMG_20200530_095046.jpg

Well, breakfast done, by 10-ish it was time to explore Dartmoor on our cycles. Went down quite some nice paths and loved every minute of it.

IMG_20200530_103544 (1).jpg

However, I really struggled on my pushbike, whereas my wife, who now has an ebike and is addicted to the turbo mode ... just left me in the lurch.

there she goes ....

IMG_20200530_105034.jpg

and then at the top of the hill, she sits there with a smug smile on her face, while I reach the top all red faced and completely knackered and out of breath. :D

IMG_20200530_111541_1.jpg

I am now seriously considering an ebike.

IMG_20200530_112310 (1).jpg

Back to the van at about 2 ish, and time for some well-earned lunch. Apologies, remembered to take a pic only after I had a big bite. I was famished after all that huffing and puffing up the Dartmoor roads.

IMG_20200530_122157.jpg

Lunch done. A walk around/along the Black-a-ven brook and some playing around in the water.

IMG_20200530_134754 (1).jpg

Back to the van at about 4ish.

IMG_20200530_142142.jpg

PS: that van is not low at the back because of the weight of the cycles. That is the VB air suspension doing its thing to keep the van leveled.

At 4ish the temperature was almost 24 and too hot to do anything then. We decided it was best to start our drive back home. A very nice drive back home and got back home at about 7:30ish.

What a great day! thanks to this forum for all the inputs.

We'll be back again. There is so much more to see. We have right now only explored one small corner of Dartmoor.

Last edited: