Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dash Cam Dilemma

CaliforniaBen

CaliforniaBen

VIP Member
I am been tawling the internet for the past 24 hours looking at Dash Cams, from what I can see ThinkWare and BlackVue seem to be the cam of choice but they don't tend to get very good reviews online, also my neighbour had a Blackvue DR-750 in his car and it was stolen within a week of him fitting it, when he went to the police station for a crime number they said this is very common and theives are targetting Blackvue cams in particular!

So, what set ups do other people have? I want to hard wire in and don't really want the hassle of keep removing it every time I park up, I have a Nextbase 312GW in my other car but the picture quality is not very good when trying to read number plates, especially in low light.

I have a next base 512, excellent piece of kit. It's not wired in, its powered from the top of dash 12v socket. It'a apparently WiFi but I find it quite easy to just slide off the mount and download to my lap top. I rarely take it out of the van, in fact it's been happily videoing my garden fence for the last three days.

I am a fan of Nextbase as well
  • works well
  • good value

I want to hard wire in and don't really want the hassle of keep removing it every time I park up,
ours is not hard wired and stays in the van I think it will make no difference re some one stealing it as they will just unpug it at the camera or cut the wire if hard wired

Nextbase are recommended by Which and they weren't keen on the Blackvue stuff for what it's worth.

Yes, Blackvue is totally overrated, I have also heard these are a target for theives as well, it's not just the stolen cam, it's the damage they cause to remove it. I would get a Nextbase where you can just unclip from the dock.

and .... for those newcomers .... remember when Albert was the hero of the hour after Gran got shot at :shocked

The camera filmed everything :D

I've got a Nextbase 512GW. Bought a spare power lead and windscreen sucker so I can quickly move it between my car and van depending on what I'm driving. Can't compare it with other dashcams as I've only had this one but I'm happy with it.

When I use it in the car, I just slip the dashcam out of it's mount and put it in the glovebox when parked up as I now have to park on the road as the van is in the drive :)

We got the Thinkware 770 hard wired. Good quality, easy to fit and work with. Has a build in low voltage shut off. Already payed itself!

There is a simple step-by-step guide in here for hard wiring in the control unit. Really easy - one hours work.

I have Thinkware front rear . Excellent .

I have the Nextbase 402g in nthe front hard wired in and a 412g for the rear not yet fitted but planing on using the output from the mppt charger. No issues with picture quality in any conditions. Added electrical tape to all the silver bits to try and disguise it.

This is why I have a cheaper ÂŁ25 one. It does continuous recording and has parking function which triggers (without being powered) if it detects any G force. Its too cheap to be worth stealing I hope too.

I am been tawling the internet for the past 24 hours looking at Dash Cams, from what I can see ThinkWare and BlackVue seem to be the cam of choice but they don't tend to get very good reviews online, also my neighbour had a Blackvue DR-750 in his car and it was stolen within a week of him fitting it, when he went to the police station for a crime number they said this is very common and theives are targetting Blackvue cams in particular!

So, what set ups do other people have? I want to hard wire in and don't really want the hassle of keep removing it every time I park up, I have a Nextbase 312GW in my other car but the picture quality is not very good when trying to read number plates, especially in low light.
I have the Nextbase 412GW and very happy with it. All the cars have one in fact.

I have a next base 512, excellent piece of kit. It's not wired in, its powered from the top of dash 12v socket. It'a apparently WiFi but I find it quite easy to just slide off the mount and download to my lap top. I rarely take it out of the van, in fact it's been happily videoing my garden fence for the last three days.
Do you leave it plugged into the socket when parked for long periods? I have the 412 and have been unplugging as I fear a battery issue?

Do you leave it plugged into the socket when parked for long periods? I have the 412 and have been unplugging as I fear a battery issue?

When I think about it I switch it off. I do not unplug it. It has been left for the best part of a week at times happily filming "The 24 hour life of a fence".....:sad

When I think about it I switch it off. I do not unplug it. It has been left for the best part of a week at times happily filming "The 24 hour life of a fence".....:sad
Many thanks

When campi is not in use and parked up in her car port, I unplug it and take it off the windscreen as the suction cup won't last forever. I also erase the SD card every month.

Nextbase in the Cali Blackvue in the Tesla - haven't had to use either in anger yet; nextbase pluses are the sucker on the windscreen making it easier to remove when camping up, Blackvue more functions that you may never use

Nextbase in the Cali Blackvue in the Tesla - haven't had to use either in anger yet; nextbase pluses are the sucker on the windscreen making it easier to remove when camping up, Blackvue more functions that you may never use

Which Blackvue do you have? Is it removeable? My friend had his stolen, also ended up with smashed drivers window

750 2 channel - not as easily removable as the nextbase as it is sticky tab not suction like the nextbase. It is less obtrusive.

I only just heard of this "targeting" the installer I used hasn't heard of it with the Teslas at least, he also said Nextbase is a fine choice - they basically chose to own a price point

What you need is not just a camera. In the unfortunate case of you having to use the camera as evidence it will pay to also have the recorded gps position and a record of your speed and any sounds. Not all dash cams are able to collect this information and in court their evidence will be degraded. I have blackvues fitted to all my cars both front and rear views. So far they have paid for themselves once ,when I was involved in a road rage incident. The blackvue recorded not only the actions of the other driver, but also what I was saying or not saying and this evidence was used by my lawyer not only to win the case, but get damages from the other party. Without the camera, it was my word against the other driver and his two mates. Get the best you can afford. F