T6 CFO

T6 CFO

Mike
Top Poster
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Blackvue dash cam and Mifi now fitted.
https://www.blackvue.com/dr650s-2ch/
Not be me I hasten to add but an auto electrician after some discussion about how I would like it done.

Front and rear cameras which are powered via a Power Magic Pro
https://www.blackvue.com/product/bl...attery-discharge-prevention-for-parking-mode/

In normal driving the cameras come on automatically and when you switch off from the ignition power continues to be provided through the Power Magic Pro (PMP). After 5 minutes the cameras go into "park mode" and recording to the SD card stops unless an event is detected, when a recording is made starting 5 seconds before the event.

Events can be triggered by either movement in the field of vision of either of the cameras or by vehicle movement, front to back, side to side or up and down. Sensitivity of these can be set or switched off as required. As mine is not on my driveway and beneath my flat I have turned off the camera movement sensors to avoid continual false events but not the vehicle movement ones.
Settings on the (PMP) switch off the camera and any devices attached to it after preset times or power levels to protect the battery.

Next up was utilising the dashcams ability to connect to the cloud. The way it works is that you can preset three wireless locations. Usually these would be home, work, mobile, if the cameras are in range of the network. For me this was not possible.
Although I have a VW Carstick which supplies wifi to the Cali it only does this when the ignition is on and I wanted to utilise the cloud function when the ignition was off. I have therefore set it to connect to the below Mifi by default.

I had been looking at MIFI devices to act as a hotspot and settled on the HUAWEI E5786s. Not the cheapest but very fast with the right connection and got a great deal with an offer on EBay. There has been a recent update to this model (E5787) but interestingly although it now has a touchscreen it does not have the ability to act as a wi-fi extender. This is the only mifi device I've found that does. It's primary function is to connect to 3G/4G but first it will connect with any available Wi-Fi network and it also has connection for an external aerial although reviews suggest these are not required. (Time will tell). This means it will also operate as a wifi booster.

Next up was powering the Mifi. Although it has a pretty good battery it still powered down far to quickly when connected to by the dashcam. Both the dashcam and Mifi have numerous led lights and in settings you can turn these off which extends the power and makes the dashcam less noticeable.

The (PMP) supplies power to the dashcam via a 12volt female to male connector. As it is not the prettiest and for the sake of keeping things tidy the electricians have always hidden these units behind the fuse box as there is no requirement to switch it off and this is how it was initially installed. After a bit of thought though I realised that when it went into parking mode false events would be recorded with movement in the Cali and I needed the ability to turn it off. They had not fitted one in a camper before so I asked for it to be moved somewhere accessible. They did better than that leaving it behind the fuse box but putting a switch to it in the unused point in the glove box. A 12 volt splitter was then used to take power from the (PMP) to the Mifi which was located in the phone cubby in the dashboard. Very tidy. I now have the choice of switching off the dashcam and have a permanent 3G/4G hotspot, connected to the battery but with the added protection of the cut out in the (PMP). I can now view any footage from the front and rear cameras and live from an app on my iPhone and iPad and am alerted by notification on my phone if an "event" is detected. Trick in the settings is to avoid false positives and now it all works seamlessly. Spookily you can share this footage live and locate the vehicle, you can also for security turn this off, which I have.

This all might sound a bit techie and fiddly and the initial setting up of it and learning curve was. I figured it all out but got an expert to do the wiring. I now though don't have to touch a thing other than to switch it off when camped up.

Most fiddly part they had was installing the rear camera. I put in a string beforehand so that they could pull the feed from front to back but the fitter got the wire through from there to the back screen using a fibre optic camera.

Front Camera

afb83ea765d1c13800f2c3cf65f99311.jpg

Rear Camera

0a81d4d3d157901c4ae922cd39d13602.jpg

Switch in glove box

d82b650043982be1dd0e2ef01e25c1ca.jpg

Mifi in phone cubby

ef11178e27759211abb4233b65ebc8f4.jpg

Mike

Have you managed to use the mifi wifi extender on campsite wifi systems where they have a login page? If so how because I have tried but failed with my E5377.

Have you managed to use the mifi wifi extender on campsite wifi systems where they have a login page? If so how because I have tried but failed with my E5377.
Haven't tried yet in the wild but I see no reason why it shouldn't. It logs in fine to the two networks I have tried. I'll keep you posted on campsites.

Mike

Just dug out my manual. Does your have this...?

49479e8c91c1ce675d31d65bc583b57e.png

Mike

Haven't tried yet in the wild but I see no reason why it shouldn't. It logs in fine to the two networks I have tried. I'll keep you posted on campsites.

Mike
If you download the HUAWEI Hilink app you have the ability to link to free/local WIFI hotspots, which shows access to Internet without using your own data

Last edited:
If you download the HUAWEI Hilink app you have the ability to link to free/local WIFI hotspots, which slows access to Internet without using your own data
Yep that's how I do it with the e5786

Mike

You can scan local wifi and join them, as long as you have password

Screenshot_2017-08-01-14-26-06.png

Yep agreed. Not sure if bigmacs e5377 has that option?

Mike

Sounds great - the cloud feature of that dashcam looks very useful actually. Wish my Thinkware F770 had that!

Mike - you mention the PMP is hidden behind the fuse box that its connected to - is this the fuse box in the engine bay, or under the passenger seat?

This thread has got me possibly considering selling my F770 and getting one of these for the push notifications and remote viewing feature!

Mike - you mention the PMP is hidden behind the fuse box that its connected to - is this the fuse box in the engine bay, or under the passenger seat?

This thread has got me possibly considering selling my F770 and getting one of these for the push notifications and remote viewing feature!
I unfortunately did not see it go in but it's tucked up very near to the the one in the dash behind the drinks holder. Hope that helps.

Mike

Sounds great - the cloud feature of that dashcam looks very useful actually. Wish my Thinkware F770 had that!
I've got to say I'm well impressed. I was looking at the Thinkware when I found the auto electrics place. The camera they stock and install all the time is the Blackvue. Once I researched the camera it set me thinking of how I could use the cloud function and one thing led to another.

Mike

Great thanks, I'll take a look behind the drinks holder and see how DIY-fitable it would be. I know what you mean about one thing leading to another! :thumb

Great thanks, I'll take a look behind the drinks holder and see how DIY-fitable it would be. I know what you mean about one thing leading to another! :thumb
Good stuff. When we discussed hiding it the electrician said no problem. 7 screws. The neat bit was linking up the Mifi and the switch.

Mike

Hmm so I have a 4G router instead which runs from 12v - bigger external antennas which was my logic for getting it over a mifi. At the moment this is semi-permenantly fixed (i.e. with velcro pads) in the rear cupboard, wired up to the leisure battery (plugged in when required). I was planning to leave it there, but although the power usage is small I guess this isn't the best thing for the leisure battery? Maybe I will move it to the front somewhere where it can connect to the PMP like yours - not sure, will investigate! Obviously being bigger it will be harder to hide!

Hmm so I have a 4G router instead which runs from 12v - bigger external antennas which was my logic for getting it over a mifi. At the moment this is semi-permenantly fixed (i.e. with velcro pads) in the rear cupboard, wired up to the leisure battery (plugged in when required). I was planning to leave it there, but although the power usage is small I guess this isn't the best thing for the leisure battery? Maybe I will move it to the front somewhere where it can connect to the PMP like yours - not sure, will investigate! Obviously being bigger it will be harder to hide!
Hard shout as I agree there are surprisingly few places to hide a big bit of kit up the front end. My Mifi is very small and fits in the phone cubby hole. Where you have it though is good. I was considering that location and would probably have gone for it if I had the solar power to keep topped up.
Still might go the solar route but not until I see how I get on on my first proper euro trip.
The aerial issue is probably a good reason to leave it where it is.

Mike

Last edited:
Mike can you let me know where you had the cameras installed and how much the whole package was. Having heard of Califate's misfortune I would like to consider purchasing these. Having waited 8 months for mine insurance won't cover the inconvenience of losing it.

Mike can you let me know where you had the cameras installed and how much the whole package was. Having heard of Califate's misfortune I would like to consider purchasing these. Having waited 8 months for mine insurance won't cover the inconvenience of losing it.
Will PM you

Mike

Blackvue dash cam and Mifi now fitted.
https://www.blackvue.com/dr650s-2ch/
Not be me I hasten to add but an auto electrician after some discussion about how I would like it done.

Front and rear cameras which are powered via a Power Magic Pro
https://www.blackvue.com/product/bl...attery-discharge-prevention-for-parking-mode/

In normal driving the cameras come on automatically and when you switch off from the ignition power continues to be provided through the Power Magic Pro (PMP). After 5 minutes the cameras go into "park mode" and recording to the SD card stops unless an event is detected, when a recording is made starting 5 seconds before the event.

Events can be triggered by either movement in the field of vision of either of the cameras or by vehicle movement, front to back, side to side or up and down. Sensitivity of these can be set or switched off as required. As mine is not on my driveway and beneath my flat I have turned off the camera movement sensors to avoid continual false events but not the vehicle movement ones.
Settings on the (PMP) switch off the camera and any devices attached to it after preset times or power levels to protect the battery.

Next up was utilising the dashcams ability to connect to the cloud. The way it works is that you can preset three wireless locations. Usually these would be home, work, mobile, if the cameras are in range of the network. For me this was not possible.
Although I have a VW Carstick which supplies wifi to the Cali it only does this when the ignition is on and I wanted to utilise the cloud function when the ignition was off. I have therefore set it to connect to the below Mifi by default.

I had been looking at MIFI devices to act as a hotspot and settled on the HUAWEI E5786s. Not the cheapest but very fast with the right connection and got a great deal with an offer on EBay. There has been a recent update to this model (E5787) but interestingly although it now has a touchscreen it does not have the ability to act as a wi-fi extender. This is the only mifi device I've found that does. It's primary function is to connect to 3G/4G but first it will connect with any available Wi-Fi network and it also has connection for an external aerial although reviews suggest these are not required. (Time will tell). This means it will also operate as a wifi booster.

Next up was powering the Mifi. Although it has a pretty good battery it still powered down far to quickly when connected to by the dashcam. Both the dashcam and Mifi have numerous led lights and in settings you can turn these off which extends the power and makes the dashcam less noticeable.

The (PMP) supplies power to the dashcam via a 12volt female to male connector. As it is not the prettiest and for the sake of keeping things tidy the electricians have always hidden these units behind the fuse box as there is no requirement to switch it off and this is how it was initially installed. After a bit of thought though I realised that when it went into parking mode false events would be recorded with movement in the Cali and I needed the ability to turn it off. They had not fitted one in a camper before so I asked for it to be moved somewhere accessible. They did better than that leaving it behind the fuse box but putting a switch to it in the unused point in the glove box. A 12 volt splitter was then used to take power from the (PMP) to the Mifi which was located in the phone cubby in the dashboard. Very tidy. I now have the choice of switching off the dashcam and have a permanent 3G/4G hotspot, connected to the battery but with the added protection of the cut out in the (PMP). I can now view any footage from the front and rear cameras and live from an app on my iPhone and iPad and am alerted by notification on my phone if an "event" is detected. Trick in the settings is to avoid false positives and now it all works seamlessly. Spookily you can share this footage live and locate the vehicle, you can also for security turn this off, which I have.

This all might sound a bit techie and fiddly and the initial setting up of it and learning curve was. I figured it all out but got an expert to do the wiring. I now though don't have to touch a thing other than to switch it off when camped up.

Most fiddly part they had was installing the rear camera. I put in a string beforehand so that they could pull the feed from front to back but the fitter got the wire through from there to the back screen using a fibre optic camera.

Front Camera

afb83ea765d1c13800f2c3cf65f99311.jpg

Rear Camera

0a81d4d3d157901c4ae922cd39d13602.jpg

Switch in glove box

d82b650043982be1dd0e2ef01e25c1ca.jpg

Mifi in phone cubby

ef11178e27759211abb4233b65ebc8f4.jpg

Mike
Thanks Mike. I’m considering both. A few questions for you if that’s ok:

1. How long did the dashcam take to install and what route did the cabling for the rear camera take?
2. Do the cameras interfere with the front and/or rear window blinds?
3. Does the MiFi have any benefits over tethering to a phone if you only need one device connected? For example, signal quality or speed?

Thanks Mike. I’m considering both. A few questions for you if that’s ok:

1. How long did the dashcam take to install and what route did the cabling for the rear camera take?
2. Do the cameras interfere with the front and/or rear window blinds?
3. Does the MiFi have any benefits over tethering to a phone if you only need one device connected? For example, signal quality or speed?

Hi Sean,

1. Normal install is about 2 hours but mine was a bit fiddly as I opted for the mifi with the pro magic and wanted it switched. Nicely done and in the lower glove box. Guy who did mine has done loads of Transporters so I left him to it. Pretty standard I think. He hadn't though done a Cali so after tips on the BB I put a string in for him from the light by the B pillar through to the back storage area (one with shelves and Gas). Dead easy as lights pop out and easy with a wire coat hanger. He did the fiddly stuff using the tailgate wiring loom and feeding it through to where you see on pics.

2. No

3. I would have thought phone is just as good. I can't connect to my home wifi whilst at home and fancied being able to access camera from home without leaving my phone in so went with the mifi as I wanted one anyway as an alternative. It means I can be away from the Cali on my bike and my better half can be on wifi through the mifi on the iPad. Also gives me some redundancy.
Been away for a month now and had no connection issues and not used any wifi. If I do ever get a wifi signal I find it's slower.

Hope that helps

Will be back in the U.K. By November if you need to talk through any of it.
Just pm me with your number.

Mike

My F770 both have the ability to do remote viewing thru the app, and tells me about incidents when I enter the car. Did you not activate those features? Or am I missing something?

A good place for the mifi is the cupholder under the rear bench. Directly beside a sucket and out of the way, but still easy to reach.

• Agree
Reactions: Jez
Hi Sean,

1. Normal install is about 2 hours but mine was a bit fiddly as I opted for the mifi with the pro magic and wanted it switched. Nicely done and in the lower glove box. Guy who did mine has done loads of Transporters so I left him to it. Pretty standard I think. He hadn't though done a Cali so after tips on the BB I put a string in for him from the light by the B pillar through to the back storage area (one with shelves and Gas). Dead easy as lights pop out and easy with a wire coat hanger. He did the fiddly stuff using the tailgate wiring loom and feeding it through to where you see on pics.

2. No

3. I would have thought phone is just as good. I can't connect to my home wifi whilst at home and fancied being able to access camera from home without leaving my phone in so went with the mifi as I wanted one anyway as an alternative. It means I can be away from the Cali on my bike and my better half can be on wifi through the mifi on the iPad. Also gives me some redundancy.
Been away for a month now and had no connection issues and not used any wifi. If I do ever get a wifi signal I find it's slower.

Hope that helps

Will be back in the U.K. By November if you need to talk through any of it.
Just pm me with your number.

Mike
Very helpful, thanks, Mike. I thought wiring the back camera might be harder than that so I may well just go for two cameras as rear end shunts and bike thefts from the rack won’t be covered by the front camera.

Regarding MIFi, my circumstances are different from yours in that I can access my home WiFi from the Cali when on the drive and my wife and kids all have decent data allowances on their phones, plus I’ll mainly be away in the Cali on my own. Taking all of that into account and if there isn’t a signal or speed benefit, I may just tether.

Very helpful, thanks, Mike. I thought wiring the back camera might be harder than that so I may well just go for two cameras as rear end shunts and bike thefts from the rack won’t be covered by the front camera.

Regarding MIFi, my circumstances are different from yours in that I can access my home WiFi from the Cali when on the drive and my wife and kids all have decent data allowances on their phones, plus I’ll mainly be away in the Cali on my own. Taking all of that into account and if there isn’t a signal or speed benefit, I may just tether.

Yep that should do it.

By default file sizes are 1 min.
Very easy to copy off via the app and I have some great footage climbing/descending mountain passes in Andalusia.

Mike

Yep that should do it.

By default file sizes are 1 min.
Very easy to copy off via the app and I have some great footage climbing/descending mountain passes in Andalusia.

Mike
Hi Mike

An installer quoted me for some work this morning and said "due to the type of aerials on the T6, I wouldn’t recommend the Blackvue, they interfere with DAB more than the Thinkware cameras". They recommend the F770 2-Ch.

Do you notice any DAB interference or poorer reception?

Seán