Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dash Cam rear install

M

MackM

Vehicle
Cali now sold
I am looking to install a front and rear dash cam on a T6.1 Ocean and have found an installer to install a Thinkware U1000. Has anyone had a rear camera installed and have any insight how the cables are best routed to the rear window without damaging anything?

Routing the cable to the rear is relatively easy.

I fitted a Blackvue 2 channel dashcam to my Cali SE and was able to run the rear cable up over the passenger door, behind the trim above the kitchen (pulling out the lights helped here) and with the aid of a stiff mains cable pushed in from above the wardrobe as a pull-through, able to pull the cable through to the rear.

As I have a bike rack I mounted my camera at the bottom of the window to the right (as viewed from outside) of the wiper cover. The cable had to pass through the rubber cable conduit between the body and the tailgate. This was the most difficult thing to do. I then tucked it into the trim to the bottom of the rear window.

Borris has done a similar install recently.
This may help.

Alan

Yes I’ve done it. It was relatively easy. Read this thread particularly from about post #60 and Post #4

I ’m going to plug a cheaper standalone one into the rear 12v socket so I don’t have bother to run a cable from front to back