Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dash cam

Raggedroy

Raggedroy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Does anyone use a dash cam? What do you recommend, where is it fitted and where did you pick up power?
Cheers.

I have a nextbase 402G.

For me it's another media recorder to see where I went, to write about it, to even put on my website when I find out how ro.

Mine is plugged in the dash top 12vsocket, positioned just under the rear view with the cable running behind the pasenger visor, down thw N/S screen pillar, then along the windscreen - dash junction.

I have one don't remember the make. Mounted in front of mirror. Powered from 12v socket on kitchen unit so leisure batteries. If left on 24/7 it pulls batteries down a fair bit. Would like to be able to only record events when parked instead of all the time. Must investigate further.

Just got home, it is a Blackvue DR600GW HD.

Sent from my SM-G900F

Last edited:
Try the DOD LS430W with built in GPS, speed/time/plate number, all recorded (remember this if you need to produce it as evidence) or you can knock them out if you wish, they will be recorded to the SD card, I leave mine on I think it makes me a better driver (speedwise) I wish I hadn't said that. Supplied with cables, two cam holders(one suction one permanent) the cam can be removed from either with the flick of the thumb, mount it behind the rear view (passenger side) but not on the window/mat or it might interfere with the sensors in the mirror, route the cable between h/lining & screen to the door pillar then between the dash & screen to the centre 12v supply. PHEW! hope this in NOT too longwinded a reply.

Try the DOD LS430W with built in GPS, speed/time/plate number, all recorded (remember this if you need to produce it as evidence) or you can knock them out if you wish, they will be recorded to the SD card, I leave mine on I think it makes me a better driver (speedwise) I wish I hadn't said that. Supplied with cables, two cam holders(one suction one permanent) the cam can be removed from either with the flick of the thumb, mount it behind the rear view (passenger side) but not on the window/mat or it might interfere with the sensors in the mirror, route the cable between h/lining & screen to the door pillar then between the dash & screen to the centre 12v supply. PHEW! hope this in NOT too longwinded a reply.

Don't leave it switched on for any length of time when parked if you are powering from main van battery, The socket in the dash is supplied from the main van battery.

I bought one similar to this one from Amazon for about 30quid
Works well although I only have a 32gb card so only lasts about
3 days it is motion sensored as well.
its in the car not cali

Cheers Kev, I did look at that one. Has it go motion detection? I like the idea of picking up movement around my van.

Yes it looks like it. Mine is just plugged into the cigarette lighter socket and not hard wired
It does shut down with the ignition off but as its in the car at the moment I'm not too bothered

I bought the transcend drivepro 200 on a whim the other day and have been surprised how well thought out it is.... The only slight issues are that the windscreen mount is permanent, not just a sucker and it has no GPS or Speed Camera's

Overall though, seems a clever, well designer bit of kit!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are loads of them, depends what you want it to do.

Being a techo dimwit I wanted something that I could just plonk on my windscreen, string a bit of wire from it behind a sun visor, down a windscreen pillar, along the dash/windscreen edge. press it, it records, press something else it freezes a 3 minute snapshot, plug my laptop in with the same lead that I use for my camera and everything else, download, watch and edit.

Works a treat :D

If I can make it work, so can everyone else,

only trouble is the sensitivity of the microphone..... especially when one is running over boulders and shredding tyres ....It picked up the sort of naughty words that I must have learnt from my students :oops:

I bought the transcend drivepro 200 on a whim the other day and have been surprised how well thought out it is.... The only slight issues are that the windscreen mount is permanent, not just a sucker and it has no GPS or Speed Camera's

Overall though, seems a clever, well designer bit of kit!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi James,

It can be used with a suction mount...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00JY6W8YM/?tag=eliteelect-21

regards,

Mark

Just bought a Nextbase 512GW. It is quite high spec and if you are a member of the Caravan Club you can get a 20% discount. Not used it yet but it seems good quality.

I would be very careful buying an expensive dash cam especially if you intend to leave it on the screen when not driving. A friend of mine had his pinched whilst parked up at the local park, so not only had his dash cam stolen but had to deal with a smashed passenger window as well.

After being hit by a drunk off duty policeman riding on the wrong side of the road on his motorbike a few years back. and then having the police who turned up do nothing bar try to blame me and then not handing a report in or making any record of the RTA and then finding out that my insurance when up. I invested in a blackvue camera front and rear. not the cheapest but gives a very clear picture, also records your speed, and knocks and your gps position and time. I just cover it with a hat when parked up. worth its weight in gold. and I purchased a 2nd one for the other car.

Hi,
Just to let you know that a number of our schemes doe offer premium discounts of up to 15% for the fitment of a HD dash cam.
Regards,
Dan.

I have dash cam that I want to connect to ignition controlled power supply.
A part from the cigar lighter which is live all the time, does any one know where I can pick up ignition controlled supply
Thanks

A part from the cigar lighter which is live all the time, does any one know where I can pick up ignition controlled supply
Thanks
Run the cable down to the fuse panel under the gear stick and use a piggyback fuse.

have you not considered running it from the control panel? that way you use the leisure batteries, much neater install.

Thanks

Why do you want ignition controlled wire? It is quite handy the camera can film if your car gets hit while parking?

I have mine hardwired in the controllable like @Loz described in an earlier thread. If the battery gets low, the camera stops automatically. Very neat installation.

A week after installation I caught a bus ramming out bike rack while parked. He drove off, but O got what I needed on film …

Why do you want ignition controlled wire? It is quite handy the camera can film if your car gets hit while parking?

I have mine hardwired in the controllable like @Loz described in an earlier thread. If the battery gets low, the camera stops automatically. Very neat installation.

We wired ours to the control panel also for this very reason, very easy and neat job