Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dash camera install

Loz

Loz

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
I am going to install the dash camera today.

I have to make sure the front screen blinds of the MY17 clear it in its final position and as the rear screen blind is almost flush to the window I think the rear camera will have to be mounted on the back of the wardrobe, at least that saves me trying to get the cable into rear door.

Also need to find permanent and switched live in the fuse panel..

I'll update with my progress..

update1:
Front blinds are nowhere near the screen so no fouling.
I don't need to come down the A pillar because there is permanent and switched power to the roof control module..

Last edited:
I am going to install the dash camera today.

I have to make sure the front screen blinds of the MY17 clear it in its final position and as the rear screen blind is almost flush to the window I think the rear camera will have to be mounted on the back of the wardrobe, at least that saves me trying to get the cable into rear door.

Also need to find permanent and switched live in the fuse panel..
I'll update with my progress..

Good luck. Mine is under and behind the mirror on the windscreen. Seems to get a wide enough viewpoint without being too conspicuous from outside.

I'm presuming your going for the F770. Had a look and great reviews. For obvious reasons I've not installed one yet but it will go in the replacement. Good luck.

Mike

The front camera is now installed here are the steps.

First mount the camera so the lens looks out just below the shaded part of the screen.
I mounted it on the right of the rear view mirror as the camera needs to slide right to detach from the mount that is stuck to the screen.
IMG_1568.JPG

Next remove the switch panel from the roof console by leavening it down from the front edge, you can make it easier by dropping down the sunglasses holder.
IMG_1567.JPG
There are 2 black screws up inside that need to be removed.

Next remove the the roof console lights by levering down from the left. Again there are 2 more black screws to be removed.
IMG_1571.JPG IMG_1572.JPG

With the 4 screws removed carefully prise down the whole roof console.
IMG_1573.JPG
It may help to remove the control panel first and to do this I found that
I needed to release the side clips with my trim tool.
IMG_1569.JPG

With the console down you can pass out the power lead and connect it to the camera and push the bundle of spare cable into the gap above the roof lining.

The F770 hard wire kit needs a permanent and switched feed plus an earth connection.
The earth connection can de made to one of the 2 black screws you can see when you look up under the roof and the red and yellow cables need to be spliced into the loom that goes to the 6 wire plug in the back of the camping control unit.

As you look at the back of the control unit you will see 3 connectors; a 32 pin plus with a purple clip over it, a 2 pin plug and a 6 pin plug.

The 6pin plug has a permanent live on the red wire and a switched live on the black wire.
Using a couple of 3M splice crimps (jelly filled BT quality ones) join the yellow(batt) lead from the camera to the permanent feed red wire and the red(ACC) camera lead to the black wire.
IMG_1574.JPG

Tidy up the cables and push the slack back up into the void at the side and refit the roof console, put the 4 screws back in and refit the 3 units.
IMG_1576.JPG

Job done.

@Loz I'm planning on getting this installed too (see https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/thinkware-f770-dash-cam.16418/) - did you manage to get the back camera installed without obstructing the blind?
Yes, I attached it on the underside of the trim behind the pull down storage unit so it stays in place when you open the rear door it is looking straight at you. It also means that you do not have to take the cable into the rear door.

I can take a photo for you when I return from Costa Rica.

Does that camera run off 12v Loz? The three we have are 5v so need a voltage dropper or it fries them. Bad costly experience.:talktothehand

Thanks so much for that photo @Loz of the rear camera - really helpful.

So I'd ordered this camera and fitting through the RAC last week. Their installation partner (Chameleon) phone me to get details of the vehicle, and then wanted some photos of the inside to show where the rear camera would mount and how the cable would run. I also directed them to this thread for extra info. They thought about it for a few days and came back to me this morning and said their engineer can't install, due to the rear camera, so I have to get a refund! :(

So I'm back to the drawing board and considering installing it myself...

With the camera in that rear position, how did you route the cable past the back cupboard? This is the issue that Chameleon had with the installation. And did you have to remove any panels to route the cable above the sliding door?

I'm looking at those scotchlok wire taps for the wiring at the front - do you know what gauge the wiring is? Don't want to get something too small which ends up cutting through the wires.

Any help really appreciated!

:cheers

Thanks so much for that photo @Loz of the rear camera - really helpful.

So I'd ordered this camera and fitting through the RAC last week. Their installation partner (Chameleon) phone me to get details of the vehicle, and then wanted some photos of the inside to show where the rear camera would mount and how the cable would run. I also directed them to this thread for extra info. They thought about it for a few days and came back to me this morning and said their engineer can't install, due to the rear camera, so I have to get a refund! :(

So I'm back to the drawing board and considering installing it myself...

With the camera in that rear position, how did you route the cable past the back cupboard? This is the issue that Chameleon had with the installation. And did you have to remove any panels to route the cable above the sliding door?

I'm looking at those scotchlok wire taps for the wiring at the front - do you know what gauge the wiring is? Don't want to get something too small which ends up cutting through the wires.

Any help really appreciated!

:cheers
I haven't wired in the rear camera yet, because I was waiting to get access to the manuals for the trim removal. I have now purchased all the necessary workshop manuals and as soon as I get time with weather permitting, I'll post a how to.

My current plan is to wire it through the trim over the sliding door to avoid the trim trapped by the wardrobe but there is access at the very top of the wardrobe to the roof.

The scotch-locked wires are very small gauge, I actually used some BT ones used by the guys who do the underground joints as they are jelly filled. I could post you a couple if you PM me your address.

That would be amazing - thanks so much, really appreciated! I'll PM you my address and then I'll be able to get the front camera sorted and follow the how-to for the rear camera. :thumb

I haven't wired in the rear camera yet, because I was waiting to get access to the manuals for the trim removal. I have now purchased all the necessary workshop manuals and as soon as I get time with weather permitting, I'll post a how to.

My current plan is to wire it through the trim over the sliding door to avoid the trim trapped by the wardrobe but there is access at the very top of the wardrobe to the roof.

The scotch-locked wires are very small gauge, I actually used some BT ones used by the guys who do the underground joints as they are jelly filled. I could post you a couple if you PM me your address.
Very tidy installation. Where did you buy the manuals from? Now I'm out of warranty DIY is the order of the day!

I put my rear one on the same panel as the previous photo but on the vertical side rather than underneath. As I have a Beach underneath would have been a bit exposed (no rear locker). It needs to be offset to either the right or left to clear the top hook for the tailgate blind.
IMG_0826.JPG
IMG_0825.JPG
I took the wiring down the nearside of the van running it in the panel that houses the led lights & air vents. (above the cooker & fridge on the SE)
IMG_0827.JPG

The wire could be routed reasonably easily in the cab headlining, just need to peal back the door rubbers a bit. That gets you to the B pilar and can then access the living area trim. B pilar trim comes off quite easily (but is a pig to put back and get the sliding seatbelt slot in line). Possibly you don't need to remove the trim I can't remember Im afraid. I did pop out the 3 LED lights & the heater vents so that I could fish around being the trim. The middle (large) light was also a fiddle to get back into place.
I completely removed the trim across the top of the tailgate area (it hadn't been fixed properly anyway after roof work), then had better access to get the cable the last part of the way. Used a variety of hooks, bent rods etc to help in routing the cable. The camera I had came with some sticky pads to hold the cable prevent rattles. Also used some small zip ties & wiring loom tape.
The SE/Ocean is obviously going to be a bit different with the wardrobe.
Good luck, its a fiddly job so take your time.

Just for info hard wiring kits can be had on eBay for five or six quid as opposed to the twenty or so from the camera manufacturers. Need to check you get the correct plug though. Mini or micro USB.

This works for me, if yo do not want a hard wired rear camera, ran wire around rear door seal and plug into the rear (boot) 12v plug

Do I need a dash cam?

I was thinking the other day that this may become the norm in the future.

Yes, but in our case, the rear camera is a slave off the front camera.
where mine are not,
Do I need a dash cam?

I was thinking the other day that this may become the norm in the future.

having our van rear ended in September (and I hope this is end of accidents for a good few years) the 1st thing my insurance company ask any dash cam evidence. After that I decided to fit would be worth fitting some camera coverage.

I see VW are offering a fully fitted kenwood drv-410 for £210.