Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dashcams

Kirk

Kirk

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Anyone got a Nextbase dashcam as they are on offer in Halfords and might treat myself to an early Xmas prezzie to myself

I think the word dashcam may have alterted the search police, they will be at scene before you know it!

Mine is a £20 quid one from a tesco garage, works great and has proven more than adequate and auto starts and has a parking mode even when unplugged it will start recording at sensing movement (physical movement not visual).

Never used a nextbase one sorry.

As hinted at above, if you do a search for "Nextbase" you'll get plenty of info.
I have the 212 and it's not bad although I did have to return the SD card as it locked up. I would recommend that you buy the Nextbase SD card so that if you do have any problems they can't palm you off and say it's the memory card that's not compatible.

I saw the. Nextbase ones in Halfords and as flakey as it sounds I just can't do it because of the size and looks :Iamsorry

Me and my California are agreed on not intruding on the cabins appeal to this degree and we quite taken by the kenwood vw one (model number escapes me).

Nextbase 512GW is perfect, great images plus really good app and software. Not sure what you mean by too large? It's about half the size of a pack of cigarettes, and the Cali windscreen is not exactly small.

We did look at the Kenwood one but it does not get very good reviews, we also looked at Blackvue and Thinkware but there is currently a wave of these getting pinched, you don't just lose your dashcam, you also end up with a smashed window, the Nextbase ones have quick release mounts so you can just take it with you or put it in the glove box.

Nextbase 512GW is perfect, great images plus really good app and software. Not sure what you mean by too large? It's about half the size of a pack of cigarettes, and the Cali windscreen is not exactly small.

We did look at the Kenwood one but it does not get very good reviews, we also looked at Blackvue and Thinkware but there is currently a wave of these getting pinched, you don't just lose your dashcam, you also end up with a smashed window, the Nextbase ones have quick release mounts so you can just take it with you or put it in the glove box.
Halfords often have an offer to hard wire these, local branch did a great job.

Halfords often have an offer to hard wire these, local branch did a great job.
How ‘invisible’ is the install? Do they use your 12v socket or pick up a proper (hidden) feed?

How ‘invisible’ is the install? Do they use your 12v socket or pick up a proper (hidden) feed?
There is no sign of the cable after it goes into the headlining above the windscreen, connected to the nearside end panel of the dashboard ( I did not know there was a supply there) it is wired to turn off with the ignition.

There is no sign of the cable after it goes into the headlining above the windscreen, connected to the nearside end panel of the dashboard ( I did not know there was a supply there) it is wired to turn off with the ignition.
Thanks James.

Me and my California are agreed on not intruding on the cabins appeal to this degree and we quite taken by the kenwood vw one (model number escapes me).
I have the VW Kenwood one and am very satisfied. I hardly notice it is there except when the sliding door is slammed too hard and it starts recording.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

I know they aren't massive or anything.
I am being extremely fussy.
I haven't seen any reviews of the kenwood though or at least not by independent reviewers.
Until amarillo

I know they aren't massive or anything.
I am being extremely fussy.
I haven't seen any reviews of the kenwood though or at least not by independent reviewers.
Until amarillo
I asked a dealer to install it after a Polish motorist rolled backwards into me after stopping at a red light, and being sideswiped by a motorist sneaking into a bus lane by undertaking.

I have it to protect against being blamed if similar events occur. As long as it does its job I'll be very satisfied.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Make sure you have a thorough play with the camera & continue to practice with it whichever one you choose.

The one time I needed footage of an incident (so far, touch wood) the clip was mangled and unusable, turning something that could’ve been paid for by a third-party (or their Insurer) into damage that I’m annoyed by every time I remember it.

Just bought one for my son from halfords, got a good deal on fitting,hardwire kit, SD card and case for £45, fitting is £30 usually on its own.

Anyone got a Nextbase dashcam as they are on offer in Halfords and might treat myself to an early Xmas prezzie to myself

I have been using my Nextbase for two years now, wouldn’t be without it. Within two weeks of me purchasing it, someone side swipe my VW in a supermarket car park, my wife was in the vehicle when it happened, he took a quick look at my wife, then sped off. I reported him to the Police and they said they couldn’t really do much without a witness, I said what about video evidence, they said great. They tracked him down as the camera had clocked his registration number. I later received a phone call from the police, telling me that he had admitted to the henus crime & asked me if I wanted to prosecuted him for “FAILING TO STOP”, I was feeling benevolent so I said no, just put the fear of god up him. Few days later got another call from the Police to tell me that they had called round to he boys house, and apparently he became a blubbering wreck. His mother wasn’t very happy with him also, as it was her car. So the NextBase paid for itself straight away.

Just bought one for my son from halfords, got a good deal on fitting,hardwire kit, SD card and case for £45, fitting is £30 usually on its own.
Get a 128Mb memory card as the standard issue doesn't store very much before it over writes.

I have been using my Nextbase for two years now, wouldn’t be without it. Within two weeks of me purchasing it, someone side swipe my VW in a supermarket car park, my wife was in the vehicle when it happened, he took a quick look at my wife, then sped off. I reported him to the Police and they said they couldn’t really do much without a witness, I said what about video evidence, they said great. They tracked him down as the camera had clocked his registration number. I later received a phone call from the police, telling me that he had admitted to the henus crime & asked me if I wanted to prosecuted him for “FAILING TO STOP”, I was feeling benevolent so I said no, just put the fear of god up him. Few days later got another call from the Police to tell me that they had called round to he boys house, and apparently he became a blubbering wreck. His mother wasn’t very happy with him also, as it was her car. So the NextBase paid for itself straight away.
Great to hear the police were top notch in this case, they have not had a good press lately.

I've got the 412GW in my work van. It's set up to turn off along with the ignition which is how I've always left it but I'd prefer to have it running all the time to pick up any incidents when parked. Someone drove into my van when it was in a hospital car park earlier this year but as my cam was switched off it was no use.
I'd be concerned about draining the vehicle battery by leaving it on all the time, does anyone do this and can they confirm whether the vehicle battery can cope with it on a daily basis?
If it only turns on when it detects movement then I would've thought it would be of limited use for parking incidents as it takes a few seconds to boot up by which time it could be too late!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I have the VW/Kenwood one.

I actually replaced the next base 512 that I have. The next base drove me mad with it's over-sensitive touch controls. Every time I went to switch it on I ended up with a multitude of other commands being fed into the thing.

I must, in fairness, add that I am left handed and my three middle fingers do not work too well, frostbite half a century ago = arthritis today :sad

I actually replaced the next base 512 that I have. The next base drove me mad with it's over-sensitive touch controls. Every time I went to switch it on I ended up with a multitude of other commands being fed into the thing.

I must, in fairness, add that I am left handed and my three middle fingers do not work too well, frostbite half a century ago = arthritis today :sad

Any chance of a photo of it in-situ when you have a mo ?

I just want reliable, neat, tidy, decent pic quality.
Not really bothered about features upon features upon features.
Don't mind if it has them though does the kenwood fit the bill?