Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Data Cable for Media

A

Andrew Folkes

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi,

I've tried searching for a thread regarding this but couldn't find anything. I have T6 Ocean and so far haven't been able to connect my iPhone to the (standard) media system. I'm using the USB in the glove compartment and using an iPhone cable. However, by doing this have very limited playability and it tends to switch to bluetooth.

Has anyone else experienced the same? Is there a certain cable that I need to purchase to be able to use full features and what features are these?

Thanks in advance.

Andy

Err, why not just use Bluetooth?

I also use the cable from the glove box when my iPhone needs charging, but my iPhone stays connected over Bluetooth.
Be careful that there are inferior cables out there. I have come across many that would charge a phone, but not transmit data at all!

You need an Apple certified cable. The amazon basics ones work well; we have an extra short one in the glove box and an extra long that the kids use

Charles

My unders
Err, why not just use Bluetooth?

I also use the cable from the glove box when my iPhone needs charging, but my iPhone stays connected over Bluetooth.
Be careful that there are inferior cables out there. I have come across many that would charge a phone, but not transmit data at all!

My understanding is that there’s additional playability by using a VW cable. I believe that the screen apprearance is different and there’s additional functions available. When I try to use my Apple cable it say ‘not supported’.

I can’t find any info online though but a VW dealership hinted at it and so was wondering if anyone has seen/used these.

When I try to use my Apple cable it say ‘not supported’.
Thats the exact opposite of what to expect. Are you sure nobody has swapped your apple cable for another white one?

Last edited:
Firstly did you order app-connect?
Do you have at least 3g on the iPhone when trying to connect?
Have you rebooted the headunit by holding the power button until the unit power cycles?
Are you running latest ios as mine has been a bit temperamental since latest ios of Friday.

edit: unless you not talking about carplay and just want to use the iPhone as a media source..

Last edited:
I recently removed Music from my iPhone (I use Spotify for music) and found the Cali wouldn't properly recognise my phone when plugging in. It would say Reading USB 1 for a long time and I'd get bored of waiting.

As soon as I put Music back it would briefly say Reading USB 1 and then I could access my music through Media > Source > USB 1

I think App Connect is just if you want the iPhone style home screen to come up on the Cali's screen (ie. Car Play).

With USB and the Media screen you can see what is playing and change track from the Cali screen and control the volume using the Cali knob. With Bluetooth I think you can do all that but the volume of the iPhone is also important.

Sounds more like no App Connect to me - I get the same "not supported" message.

This connection will only work if you have App Connect activated in the headunit (and Siri activated on your iphone)