Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Day Trip Pitch Up Spots - Kent / Sussex

Aca_chap

Aca_chap

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi All,

We've had our California for 4 months now and it has been utter, utter joy. Our kids are only 18 months old and 3 and they are loving exploring and we are feeling vey grateful for frequent family time away from other distractions.

I wonder if anyone has experiences to help us to continue this. We're looking for parks and coast areas where you can pitch up the van for the day, pull the awning out and let the kids run wild while we have lunch in the van? We tend to go away for a night or two, but more often than not it's just a day trip.

Has anyone got any recommendations? Thanks in advance for anything.

All the best from us happy campers!

west wittering beach w.sussex .... fiver for the day .... most prob best beach in w sussex , but don't tell anyone !
cafe ... toilets..... sand dunes .... and grass ... and obviously a beach .
take note of warning flags as at times can have quite a rip tide ...

+ 1 for West Wittering

some other spots,

• Dungeness
  • Birling Gap / Beachy Head
  • Winchelsea Beach
  • Dover Cliff Country Park
  • St Margraets Bay near Dover
  • Bodiam Castle (NT)

Last edited:
Minnis bay near margate, sandwich, St Margarets bay near dover, Deal, Littlestone near New Romney, Park at the top of Detling hill opposite the showground has great open spaces and views over the a large part of kent

west wittering beach w.sussex .... fiver for the day .... most prob best beach in w sussex , but don't tell anyone !
cafe ... toilets..... sand dunes .... and grass ... and obviously a beach .
take note of warning flags as at times can have quite a rip tide ...
But you need to get there before the masses! If you don't you'll be queueing from Chichester and you could find the car park full.

Thanks all these are great recommendations - I've looked them all up and will certainly try them all. We have been to winchelsea and birling gap already and really like both :cheers

Does anyone have any recommendations for park like areas? We'd love somewhere with some green grass in he countryside to base the van while the kids run around. There are loads of places in the new forest but not sure of any in Kent or Sussex?
All the best

Does anyone have any recommendations for park like areas? We'd love somewhere with some green grass in he countryside to base the van while the kids run around. There are loads of places in the new forest but not sure of any in Kent or Sussex?

The Ashdown Forest in East Sussex is nice. All the places in the Winnie the Pooh books can be found there.

On the South Downs, the National Trust car park at Harting Down is on the edge of a huge expanse of chalk downland.

Ordnance Survey has just launched a new layer called 'Green Space' on its free online mapping platform. It shows public open spaces. See: https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/getoutside/greenspaces/. Although from a quick look at our local area, a lot of the areas designated as 'public park or garden' actually seem to be nothing of the sort, so don't take it as authoritative.

Thanks all these are great recommendations - I've looked them all up and will certainly try them all. We have been to winchelsea and birling gap already and really like both :cheers

All the best

Knowle near Sevenoaks is a NT place with a deer park. Nice grassy parking areas if it's not too busy

Not quite Kent but Greenwich park is very nice, Reculver country park - on the coast but also lots of green space, Leeds castle. Tenterden has plenty to do, open spaces and the bluebell railway.

We're right down this way and down the coast every few days, there are so many quiet and handy spots to go to. Cooden Beach is superb for parking right on the beach or head a bit further round to the area between Sovereign Harbour and Eastbourne. Or Bexhill towards the cliffs on the East side. Seaford too is handy.

We're right down this way and down the coast every few days, there are so many quiet and handy spots to go to. Cooden Beach is superb for parking right on the beach or head a bit further round to the area between Sovereign Harbour and Eastbourne. Or Bexhill towards the cliffs on the East side. Seaford too is handy.
Thanks for this info Max Felix, we'll add it to our list. Coincidentally we were actually at Cooden beach last weekend for lunch on the terrace. Saw a few calis parked up and gave them all a wave. My son loved playing on the beach there and it's lovely and quiet. I guess the wind is a little knarly! Is there anywhere similar near there which is a little more sheltered but vans can pull right up on to?
All the best

LOL! As a boater down here you learn to live with it! Force 3 or 4 southwesterly is the prevailing wind all along the south coast more days than not.

But there are plenty of wind free days too - just the luck of the draw and one eye on the forecast. :)

Last edited:
I windsurf at Cooden occasionally. There's not as much parking as first appears because of a height difference between road and beach in some places. I usually have to squeeze between a load of Kombis when I go.
For inland and grassy, there's a site near Bodium Castle I want to check out. Its close to the river Rother for SUPing and you can rent a fire pit and buy logs for it. Can't remember it's name though

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

I windsurf at Cooden occasionally. There's not as much parking as first appears because of a height difference between road and beach in some places. I usually have to squeeze between a load of Kombis when I go.
For inland and grassy, there's a site near Bodium Castle I want to check out. Its close to the river Rother for SUPing and you can rent a fire pit and buy logs for it. Can't remember it's name though

Hi Rob I think we've stayed at that sight. It's behind a wooden cafe and right on the river. Very clean and recommended (although I too am lost for the name!)
All the best

Are you both thinking of Bodiam Boating Station (by the old bridge)? In Newenden.

Park Farm, Bodium. I had to Google it.

IMG_0244.jpg IMG_0245.jpg IMG_0246.jpg

Hi guys - after faffing for ages we bought our first Cali (2011 SE 180) a few weeks back. Amazing! Don't know what we waited for :)

Living in Brighton we have been asking ourselves exactly the same question as Aca-chap. This forum is so helpful and this thread has given me loads of ideas. One place we found last week is past the greenward at Goring Gap heading towards Ferring. Really chilled and uber safe for kids. I'll post some photos (including one of the new pride and joy).

Have a cracking weekend y'all

View attachment 23590 View attachment 23591 View attachment 23592

Hi guys - after faffing for ages we bought our first Cali (2011 SE 180) a few weeks back. Amazing! Don't know what we waited for :)

Living in Brighton we have been asking ourselves exactly the same question as Aca-chap. This forum is so helpful and this thread has given me loads of ideas. One place we found last week is past the greenward at Goring Gap heading towards Ferring. Really chilled and uber safe for kids. I'll post some photos (including one of the new pride and joy).

Have a cracking weekend y'all
Wow this place looks amazing thank you so much for your suggestion. I going to head down there with the kids this afternoon! Enjoy your lovely van and maybe see you around. We're in a grey ocean as family of 4.
All the best

Warren campsite - Folkestone. Its a different world and next to the sea. Only live 5mins from there and we visit often! Shame its a C&CC site.

Back