Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Deal or No Deal

B

Big Ron

Guest User
After seeing an increasing number of comments from forum members saying stuff like “the only thing more rare than a Unicorn is a Cali, if you get the chance you better buy one”
Together with quite a lot of uptalking purchase prices.....I just wonder if there is any link to the increased number of Cali’s for sale on this site.....at eye-boggling prices?

I personally think new ones are silly money....I personally think some of the prices being asked on the site are ‘very hopeful’....

What do you think ....and please no comments from anyone trying to sell one, play fair!
;)

As my old mate Ken used to say it's only worth what someone will pay for it. A lot do seem to be selling, last week a dealer offered me very nearly what I paid for mine when new last year.

It’s really just market dynamics...

Pricing is obviously based on supply and demand. Demand is high given that holidays involving flying will be more challenging, expensive and much less attractive for the forseeable future (I say this as someone who pre-COVID was on planes weekly with work). The list prices of new T6.1s increased over T6s, with dealer discounts apparently non-existent at the moment given high demand and low supply. In turn, the prices of second hand vans have increased.

Whether any asset is worth the prevailing market price is for a prospective buyer to assess. But prices are dictated by all market participants as a whole, rather than how much sellers wish to sell for, or how much buyers wish to buy for. So, traded prices will be what they will be... Note that I’m saying traded prices here, rather than asking. However, vans on the Classified section are typically selling within days, so I expect traded prices are close to asking prices at the moment.

Editorial in my motor home mag. Sold 547 campers/motor homes from their classifieds last week, a record.
Any one looking to buy anything has a choice, negotiate, take it or leave it.

I think that a lot of people are probably just "chancing their arms". Stick it up for sale at an inflated price and who knows, in the current feeding frenzy for MHs and CVs, they might just get the money they are asking. I'm sure dealers are doing the same as well. If they aren't increasing their second hand prices they certainly have no reason to offer discounts at the moment. With their stock flying out of the doors and difficulties with a sluggish supply chain it's a sellers market.

I think the unicorn references were in relation to the Beach version and in particular the über rare well specced example. There doesn't appear to be any shortage of good second hand Oceans and SEs. Just take a look at the "Cali's for sale" section or VW's Commercial vehicle website.

Last edited:
Back