Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dealer Allocation

Hantshog

Hantshog

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Can anyone confirm whether there is such a thing as dealer allocation? I ask as I see on other posts members who ordered after me have been given unconfirmed build dates before mine with the same model. I can only assume it's because the dealer I ordered from has exhausted their allocation for the quarter.
If it's true it makes a mockery of negotiated discounts. Any discount has been swallowed by the Increase in VED. Ordered 204 4M Ocean end of Sept, unconfirmed build date week 15 and its been 15 for ages now.

I for one believe there is and is the main reason some are delayed. There are no doubt other reasons, availability of parts, luck etc. But allocation top of the list in my view. Good luck

I'd agree, allocation first then build slot based upon spec and colour.

If I was ordering again now I would (again) send an email with my exact spec to multiple dealers asking for their best discounted price, but I would also request unconfirmed build week at the same time. This could tease out any dealers with overstuffed order books....

I'd agree, allocation first then build slot based upon spec and colour.
My dealer explained it to me this way:
VW give VWUK an allocation. VWUK give each dealer an allocation. Once that allocation is used up, customers go into a queue for a VWUK allocation build, if VWUK use up their allocation (as happened last year) VWUK go back to VW to ask for a bigger allocation (and I think that last years bigger allocation was 300 vehicles being built during the first few weeks of this year).

Out of stock parts will certainly play a part in unallocated build dates, earlier last year I think that there was a serious supply problem with DSG gearboxes.

Agree dealer allocation has a major part to play. Also consider this. If a dealer has sold all their allocation it could be that they give the best discounts. Its worth thinking about. In other words it might be possible to get an earlier build date but you may not get the discount you would have got at the other dealer (who's run out of allocation).

When I placed my order I distinctly remember my dealer saying ".....hmmmm, allocation, (looking at computer) not a problem....."

There are folk on this forum who have pushed for the 8's and 9%'s off list price and then haggled for extras. It would be interesting to hear if they are the ones with extended build/delivery dates.

One dealer would only offer me 4% discount "Maximum" but suggested delivery would be about 4 months from order placement. I eventually got from another dealer 7.5% discount and got a confirmed build date 17 weeks later on the 19th December as being week 4. By the time delivery arrives it will be about 6 months - more or less average. During my wait I have heard of deliveries in three months and over a year.

I think its also worth thinking about any change of specs you make on the way, i.e. after order placement, and whether that might make a difference, but before confirmed build date (you cannot make changes after this date).

Also during my wait I have heard that certain options can cause extended delivery dates: Certain alloy wheel choice, DSG gearbox, Colour etc

There are many factors involved most, if not all, outside of our control.

When I bought my Cali, the salesman was frustrated that he couldn't get any more because he could sell them all day long but his allocation had been used up by May/June.

He could put in orders but could not get anything more for stock.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/dealer-allocation.15446/

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/when-does-an-order-get-locked-so-you-cant-amend.16660/

Couple of threads on the subject and probably more.

I for one believe there is and is the main reason some are delayed. There are no doubt other reasons, availability of parts, luck etc. But allocation top of the list in my view. Good luck

Mike
I think the main reason is probably dealer allocation. I negotiated a good discount from a dealer in the south east, probably the same dealer Crispin Family ordered his from, and has waited ages. When I ordered, the dealer said h'ed sold so many. Part availability must have a small impact on dates. But the dealer allocation theory stacks up, which is pretty disheartening, as if the dealer knew at the time of order that they had little chance of fulfilling an order within expected lead times they should have been open about it. All the more important with the impending VED changes. These things are not random or chance. There must be a system. Many dealers were offering 5% when I ordered but naturally I went for a dealer offering more. In hindsight I may have paid the price for negotiating a deal and travelling further from home. Getting increasingly concerned as booked crossing to Spain in June but am sweating as van may not be here by then.

Agree dealer allocation has a major part to play. Also consider this. If a dealer has sold all their allocation it could be that they give the best discounts. Its worth thinking about. In other words it might be possible to get an earlier build date but you may not get the discount you would have got at the other dealer (who's run out of allocation).

When I placed my order I distinctly remember my dealer saying ".....hmmmm, allocation, (looking at computer) not a problem....."

There are folk on this forum who have pushed for the 8's and 9%'s off list price and then haggled for extras. It would be interesting to hear if they are the ones with extended build/delivery dates.

One dealer would only offer me 4% discount "Maximum" but suggested delivery would be about 4 months from order placement. I eventually got from another dealer 7.5% discount and got a confirmed build date 17 weeks later on the 19th December as being week 4. By the time delivery arrives it will be about 6 months - more or less average. During my wait I have heard of deliveries in three months and over a year.

I think its also worth thinking about any change of specs you make on the way, i.e. after order placement, and whether that might make a difference, but before confirmed build date (you cannot make changes after this date).

Also during my wait I have heard that certain options can cause extended delivery dates: Certain alloy wheel choice, DSG gearbox, Colour etc

Bought from Guy in Preston who I think has a rather substantial allocation but also does healthy discounts. From order to delivery was just over 5months.

Bought from Guy in Preston who I think has a rather substantial allocation but also does healthy discounts. From order to delivery was just over 5months.
Yeah, 'bout average. It was a bit distorted towards the end of last year when the UK were allocated more Cali's on an annual basis from VW at the center - an additional 300 I was told - divided by 41 = an additional 7 per dealer/year. Must have made some difference. It would be interesting to know what the UK is allocated annually.

Some thoughts?..I got 8% on ordering in May 2016. The dealer told me at the time he had already sold his 2016 allocation by March 2016 and I would have to wait. On ordering in May I think I recall the VW national system indicating Sept/October build and it eventually had a December build and Jan 2017 arrival. Discounts may well be related to availability as my dealer was happy to admit he was there to make a profit and won't offer anything too easily. That's especially the case if the dealer knows he has 'unsold' availability and may be able to hint at earlier arrival? He knows buyers ring around and will travel if the wait is several months less. That may account for some on the forum who had vehicles arrive in 3 or 4 months?

I ordered my 204 DSG 4motion on the 31st November and I got this email from Guy in Preston today.....

"I have news from the factory regarding California’s and it is not the best I am afraid.

Due to production and component supply difficulties, it is unlikely that your vehicle will receive a build week before the end of June. They are intimating it could be August/September delivery although until it actually confirms for production we cannot guarantee this unfortunately.

I appreciate this considerably extends the lead time over the originally quoted time and I can only apologise on behalf of VW Commercial Vehicles for this."

I ordered my 204 DSG 4motion on the 31st November and I got this email from Guy in Preston today.....

"I have news from the factory regarding California’s and it is not the best I am afraid.

Due to production and component supply difficulties, it is unlikely that your vehicle will receive a build week before the end of June. They are intimating it could be August/September delivery although until it actually confirms for production we cannot guarantee this unfortunately.

I appreciate this considerably extends the lead time over the originally quoted time and I can only apologise on behalf of VW Commercial Vehicles for this."
Wow! Not the best news is rather an understatement!

What options did you order?

Wow! Not the best news is rather an understatement!

What options did you order?

204 DSG 4Motion, Indium Grey
Alcantara Seats
Led Headlights
Laminated Glass pack
Lights and Vision Pack
Discover Nav
Tow Bar
Storage Net
Cruise Control
Sport Steering Wheel
Heavy Duty Roll Bars
Driver alert with premium multi-function display
Front and rear parking sensors with rear-view camera
Servotronic Steering
Mud flaps front and rear
Awning Black

Alcantara Seats
Led Headlights
Laminated Glass pack
Lights and Vision Pack
Discover Nav
Tow Bar
Storage Net
Cruise Control
Sport Steering Wheel
Heavy Duty Roll Bars
Servotronic Steering
Mud flaps front and rear
Awning Black
It is very frustrating playing the waiting game, I'm presuming you weren't expecting it prior to the VEL changes but a pain nevertheless. On an optimistic note at least your dealer seems to be in communication and telling you how it is.
On a longer term note you will love your Cali when it arrives. I have a Cali same model and colour and virtually exact spec. Servotronic steering is excellent. Cali feels planted and with plenty of woooomph. Good luck

Mike

Alcantara Seats
Led Headlights
Laminated Glass pack
Lights and Vision Pack
Discover Nav
Tow Bar
Storage Net
Cruise Control
Sport Steering Wheel
Heavy Duty Roll Bars
Servotronic Steering
Mud flaps front and rear
Awning Black
Nothing jumps out at me here.......Its a lottery!

Nothing jumps out at me here.......Its a lottery!
I visited my dealer today. Amarillo came off the production line on 29 January and left the factory on the same day. Provisionally booked walkthrough for 27 February ready for formal handover on 1 March with 2017 plates.

I visited my dealer today. Amarillo came off the production line on 29 January and left the factory on the same day. Provisionally booked walkthrough for 27 February ready for formal handover on 1 March with 2017 plates.
Excellent news!:bananadance2
I'm guessing mine is a week behind yours. I offered to pay my dealer before March 1st if he can get it delivered by 23 Feb. 1) that would be my wifes Birthday and 2) would help his cash flow what with most wanting 17 plate if possible - Not important to me I have private plate T600 VWC. :thumb

That's great news. At long last!

That's great news. At long last!
A hell of a wait: April 2016 to March 2017; 11 long months.

Jess and her five siblings were conceived the day we paid our deposit on Amarillo. It took just nine weeks for them to be delivered. If only VW's manufacturing processes were as efficient as Meg's...

Almost certainly DSG supply problems rearing its ugly head again.

Todays update from dealer as i asked what the supply issue was.

"It is more or less across the board but DSG’s especially and 4Motion so if it’s both DSG & 4Motion I think it makes things worse"

Back