Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dealer preperation

mikeelawson

mikeelawson

BOOMEL
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
I have noticed that everyone says don't get the dealer to prepare your van, why not, what do they do as new prep?

Second question can anyone recommend a detailer in Berkshire area, getting quotes for nearly 2000 for ceramic coating!

Lastly in terms of protection is there any difference between regularly waxed / washed van vs ceramic coating? I don't mind doing the former.

Regards

Mike

Everyone?

I've bought three new Calis from SMG Tonbridge including a Pearlescent black one which will show every mark. Everyone of the three had been very meticulously prepared. I am very fussy with this sort of thing and couldn't find fault in any of them. So I suppose it depends on the dealer and the quality of their prep and subsequent pre hand over checks.

I'd never agree to any dealer washing my vehicle following a service though.

Everyone?

I've bought three new Calis from SMG Tonbridge including a Pearlescent black one which will show every mark. Everyone of the three had been very meticulously prepared. I am very fussy with this sort of thing and couldn't find fault in any of them. So I suppose it depends on the dealer and the quality of their prep and subsequent pre hand over checks.

I'd never agree to any dealer washing my vehicle following a service though.
Sorry everyone I have seen comment so far (apart from. Yourselves) you make a valid point

I have noticed that everyone says don't get the dealer to prepare your van, why not, what do they do as new prep?

Second question can anyone recommend a detailer in Berkshire area, getting quotes for nearly 2000 for ceramic coating!

Lastly in terms of protection is there any difference between regularly waxed / washed van vs ceramic coating? I don't mind doing the former.

Regards

Mike
Because a lot dealers don’t take care when washing cars. I was at a BMW garage last week and took a conference call while waiting in car park.

I watched one of their staff wash (at least) two cars - 19 plate 5 series cars, not cheap - using the same bucket of water and a sponge! No two bucket method, no grit guard, no changing the water, and using a sponge rather than proper wash mitt. Pretty appalling at a supposed luxury car dealer. Funnily enough I told them not to be washing my i3 after its service.

Because a lot dealers don’t take care when washing cars. I was at a BMW garage last week and took a conference call while waiting in car park.

I watched one of their staff wash (at least) two cars - 19 plate 5 series cars, not cheap - using the same bucket of water and a sponge! No two bucket method, no grit guard, no changing the water, and using a sponge rather than proper wash mitt. Pretty appalling at a supposed luxury car dealer. Funnily enough I told them not to be washing my i3 after its service.

Same with my Audi TT. When it went in for servicing I had the dealer write 'wash and vac refused' on the job order.

Use the VW dealer network for the minimum requirements needed on your vehicle as they will struggle with even that! I took my Cali in for a replacement driveshaft and when I got the vehicle back the glass and paint on the near side and front from headlight to 9 inches on the roof was marked with a weird overspray of some sort. I showed it to them and they said it would be sap from the trees that are close to their yard. I said I would wash it off myself because I was driving home to load up for a weekend away that day.

I got home there was no way of washing it off so my wife had to put up with peering through this muck on a sunny weekend, not impressed.

They spent two hours compounding the glass to remove it so I wasn’t happy for them to do that to the paint so called Autoglym when I got home, they confirmed that my vehicle had overspray from the traffic film remover the dealer uses and that once dried the only way to remove it was to use their fallout remover, a product called Magma. To my surprise it removed it within seconds of application so thank God I didn’t let them loose on my paintwork!

The dealer (mentioned above but different branch) had the audacity to say it wasn’t down to them as VW UK employ all car wash people to provide the service on site. I made it clear that I left my vehicle in their hands and did not ask for any washing and that they were responsible which they immediately accepted. I will be asking for for the cost of the treatments and my time in the next few days and see where that goes.

They were out of their depth when it comes to washing and detailing and should stick to what they do, they should also protect customers vehicles from corrosive overspray whilst their vehicles are parked nearby to their washing area!

1E3C753E-2692-4CA5-B2A3-E9131C99CF44.jpeg9177D610-F044-4855-B896-225DC9E0A63E.jpeg

Last edited: