Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Decals

Fish111111111.

Fish111111111.

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Decals, what's the best supplier and is their anyone would recommend for custom decals?

I just fitted some from Beatnik decals. Whilst I have not done it before, and chose the most complicated design, it was easier than I thought (full length and intricate). Not sure I would do it myself again though as I did have some bubble problems. Mostly resolved by a pin prick and brushing again with credit card. Simple decals no problem at all.... anything larger I would get the body shop to do it for me. Beatnik service was excellent and they were pretty quick.

PXL_20220421_121531943.jpg

We’ve also been thinking of adding decals. Supplementary questions - Typically how long before they look shabby? Do they work okay on glass?

If I were to place decals on my Cali, say for three years, then try to remove them, would I face issues?
Are they removable?
If they are, will the paintwork be affected in those areas underneath not bleached by the sun?
I’m thinking resale values obviously.

If I were to place decals on my Cali, say for three years, then try to remove them, would I face issues?
Are they removable?
If they are, will the paintwork be affected in those areas underneath not bleached by the sun?
Should be fine I would have thought. If there were any issues, it’s nothing a bit of paint correction couldn’t sort out at a detailers or by yourself if you have the correct equipment. It’s not going to put me off adding decals to my new Cali when it finally arrives. I love the personalisation

Are they removable?
Decals certainly do mark the paint if left long enough. I dont know how long is too long. But taken to the extreme I had an Autosleeper Trooper before the California, and when I got it it was 15 years old. It had extensive original Autosleeper decals. I needed to remove them to do a respray. Removing them was trouble some and removed some paint here and there, but not a problem, sanded that back ready for respray. After removing all the decals you could still read Autosleeper in the bare paint where it wasn't damaged. Again no real problem I sanded it ready for the respray and once dull they disappeared. The coat looked smooth and ready to paint all over as usual for a respray. What I didn't expect is after the respray, 3 coats of basecoat and 2 coats of high solid lacquer, once dried and brought out into the sunlight you could still read the Autosleeper text just about ! I did then manage to sand and polish the areas and make them almost invisible after that but was very surprised how it was possible.
Regarding value though, if they are nice then the new owner will probably be happy to keep them anyway ... And it's not all about the resale value is it

Decals certainly do mark the paint if left long enough. I dont know how long is too long. But taken to the extreme I had an Autosleeper Trooper before the California, and when I got it it was 15 years old. It had extensive original Autosleeper decals. I needed to remove them to do a respray. Removing them was trouble some and removed some paint here and there, but not a problem, sanded that back ready for respray. After removing all the decals you could still read Autosleeper in the bare paint where it wasn't damaged. Again no real problem I sanded it ready for the respray and once dull they disappeared. The coat looked smooth and ready to paint all over as usual for a respray. What I didn't expect is after the respray, 3 coats of basecoat and 2 coats of high solid lacquer, once dried and brought out into the sunlight you could still read the Autosleeper text just about ! I did then manage to sand and polish the areas and make them almost invisible after that but was very surprised how it was possible.
Regarding value though, if they are nice then the new owner will probably be happy to keep them anyway ... And it's not all about the resale value is it
Is it worth protecting the paint, say with a ceramic coat before applying decals? Or will it stop them sticking?!
Probably a daft question

Is it worth protecting the paint, say with a ceramic coat before applying decals? Or will it stop them sticking?!
Probably a daft question
You should clean the panel with a panel wipe/cleaner prior to applying decals, so probably not ideal to do the opposite of that.

You should clean the panel with a panel wipe/cleaner prior to applying decals, so probably not ideal to do the opposite of that.
Yeh I agree I think wax would definitely stop them sticking.

Thanks for all the replies!!
Fish, good evening. Checking previous posts, noticed yours and the helpful replies.
I'm wanting to put some decals on our Fortana Red 'Vin Rouge', considering only putting them on the rear nearside/ offside and rear windows.
Did you go with Beatnik, another company or not at all?
Are there any other companies that forum members would recommend and would I be able to submit a particular design to a company for them to produce it for me?
Thanks in anticipation of any advice.

We have still not made our final decision at the moment but i think we will probably just place a decal on the rear windows.