Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Decided to powder coat my T6 bike rack

Richard Hurst

Richard Hurst

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
So I decided i didn't like the look of my standard T6 bike rack so decided to strip it all down and get it powder coated at a local company. Was not hard to strip it down, few bolts to undo and 12 rivets to drill out but all in all a simple procedure.

IMG_6299.jpg IMG_6300.jpg IMG_6301.jpg

Looks fab, I would like to do the same to my bike rack.

I have asked a few "converters" how much they charge but would not quote as I have already have the rack.

Is it rude to ask how much the powder coating was?
Also what size of rivets were needed to rebuild?

Kev

Looks fab, I would like to do the same to my bike rack.

I have asked a few "converters" how much they charge but would not quote as I have already have the rack.

Is it rude to ask how much the powder coating was?
Also what size of rivets were needed to rebuild?

Kev

The powder coating was £120 and the rivets were 6.4 x 26mm

Looks gr8.
Are there any advantages in having it anodised ?

Kev

Looks gr8.
Are there any advantages in having it anodised ?

Kev
Hi kev
In my opinion yes definitely.anodising is tougher the powder coating is great but once it’s chipped the water penetrates under the coating and it comes off in chunks unfortunately .....with it being a bike rack its bashed about a bit

Hi
It’s a bit tricky but worth it I think.
it’s got to be fully stripped down to do this all plastic/steel rivets and rivnuts removed it’s no easy job....then any good anodisers can then do it.the place I went to was in bury the northwest..

Hi
It’s a bit tricky but worth it I think.
it’s got to be fully stripped down to do this all plastic/steel rivets and rivnuts removed it’s no easy job....then any good anodisers can then do it.the place I went to was in bury the northwest..
Thanks! I guess the stripping is the same if you want to powder coat. Little concerned with replacing the rivots (this is new to me) but it looks awesome so need to do my homework.

Google “anodisers” near me or “electro plating” companies loads should come up near you:thumb

I have done 2 now if you totally strip it in to pieces ..put the rails on a hot radiator to heat them up the plastic bits remove fairly easily.then I think there’s 4x4.5 rivets to remove and about 12x6mm rivnuts you have to drill out..the hard bit is stripping the hinges without damaging the plastic you have to use plastic pry bars.then there 2 pole type rivets these are hard to remove they need drilling very carefully.
About 3hrs work then off to be anodised and reverse what you just did :)

I have done 2 now if you totally strip it in to pieces ..put the rails on a hot radiator to heat them up the plastic bits remove fairly easily.then I think there’s 4x4.5 rivets to remove and about 12x6mm rivnuts you have to drill out..the hard bit is stripping the hinges without damaging the plastic you have to use plastic pry bars.then there 2 pole type rivets these are hard to remove they need drilling very carefully.
About 3hrs work then off to be anodised and reverse what you just did :)
Sounds like you need to go into business :)

Well Done !!! That looks the biz :)
How easy/difficult is to rebuild ? Are the replacement bolts etc easy to get hold of ?
It’s been on my list to do since I the rack.
Hi as I described above it’s the reverse of stripping it down..you use the original bolts to put it all back together but with new riv nuts ect all 6mm

Why take out the rivnuts, cant you just run a tap through them after, or does it effect the anodising with them in ?

I want my rack to be black but I think I will etch prime it and spray it. I will use something like black smooth hammerite I think.

Why take out the rivnuts, cant you just run a tap through them after, or does it effect the anodising with them in ?
No it’s not like galvanising,,
you have to remove all steel,because during the anodising process it will Ruin the aluminium
You can’t anodise steel it just reacts......removing the riv nuts it easily done

How did you get the black plastic sleeve seal out of the bike rack securing arm ?
It’s the last piece of the puzzle !!!!

Cheers Richy

7DF84B1C-2017-4200-B070-8FE9F71F11C0.jpeg

How did you get the black plastic sleeve seal out of the bike rack securing arm ?
It’s the last piece of the puzzle !!!!

Cheers Richy

View attachment 45272
Hi Richey
Leave them bits and just etch prime and satin black them..I did not bother having them anodised.on the 2 I did the first one I etched and sprayed but on the second I found the simplest idea.wrap thick black insulation tape neatly along the tubes in a spiral.from 10 foot away you would never know..
Stripping the clamps seemed pointless and they don’t come apart easily..
The good thing about tape is when they get marks you simply unwind it and put some more on ...i actually remove the bike clamp bars when not in use it gives better visibility

Last edited:
Ahh ok, I’ve had them in a basin of boiling water trying to free them up, cheers

Did you say that these inserts meet to come out too

I’m in too deep to pull out now lol

BC811A77-9DE6-43AF-972E-9631B50097AA.jpeg

Ahh ok, I’ve had them in a basin of boiling water trying to free them up, cheers

Did you say that these inserts meet to come out too

I’m in too deep to pull out now lol

View attachment 45274
Yeah there made of metal.gently drill them all out but don’t drill over size ..no bigger than the hole there sat in .the aluminium is a lot softer than the steel your drilling out so be careful..i just went up in drill sizes by half a ml until it fell out....there called a riv nuts...you replace them with new ones 6mm when your putting it all back together...the hard bit is the shiny silver pin at the bottom you will know no the one I’m on about when you get to it it’s hard work to get out this is stainless steel so you need to take a lot of care it’s hard to drill
Use small drills going up in size until you drill the head of each side because it’s bent and doesn’t simply push out..
It’s easy as long as you take time /go Up in drill sizes carefully and drill the stainless pin rivet out on a slow speed otherwise you will blunt the drill bits instantly..hope this helps

It’s pretty brave to pull a 500pound Bikerack to pieces and do all this work but it definitely pays off when you build it up and put it back on..ur own custom bike rack that you cannot buy anodised .;)

Ha ha
Well done brilliant you got an anodisers in mind