Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Deep stone chip on the side of our pride and joy

California Dreamin

California Dreamin

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Just got back from a great week in France and found a socking great stone chip (ok, 3 mm but bright white against our Starlight blue and really obvious) in the middle of the panel above the rear wheel arch. Difficult to see how that could happen but trying not to be too irritated by it.

I cannot tell if it has gone through to the metal but it is deep. What should I do to stop rust forming before I am able to touch it up?

I also acquired a similar stone chip in France recently ... maybe I was shot at as well? :)

I've just ordered a kit from http://www.chipex.co.uk/ to sort it out

I acquired a stone chip on the bit between windscreen and bonnet whilst in France.

I was also shot at as well :shocked

Fortunately both missed.

To stop rust forming, I would just put some paint from a touch up pot in the dent to cover any exposed metal. That will protect it until you can get a proper job done.

Thanks all. I think i will order some chipex and give it a go. Then chipsaway if that fails.....

Scary the whole pot shots in france thing.

I've still not used it! Too busy using the cali to spend any time fixing it :) I'll let you know when I do
Ta - someone has scratched my bonnet so I would be interested

I have a massive stone chip on the top of my drivers window, really deep sadly. Be interested in the results.

We made the mistake of leaving the bikes on the bike rack the other day whilst raising the roof, result= two big dents and scratches on the roof from the handle bars !!! Chips away says the whole roof will need a respray :headbang

I think I will just have to live with it

Ta - someone has scratched my bonnet so I would be interested

I finally got around to using ChipEx. The two chips I had to fix were stone chips on the bonnet and quite deep - certainly through to the primer.

My repair isn't completely invisible but I reckon I could make it invisible if I cared enough and had more time! The basic idea is you put a on slightly too much paint and then use the blending solution to remove the excess and smooth it out. This seems to work well but I must have "blended" a bit too aggressively (or not let it dry enough) as there are still slight dimples where the chips were.

I haven't experience of any other approaches to know how this compares but I liked it :)

Back