Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dehumidifier

I have one that you can re-do in the microwave and one that looks like a drink cup. In less than a week it needs recharging it has been so wet.
I have two of those in a UK winter they will often be full after a day or two at best. I stopped using them due to having to constantly recharge them.

This is a modified 240V (9V) dehumidifier that will now work from a 12v socket. I keep it on for most of the winter especially when snowboarding.

As there is a solar panel on the roof I don’t worry about the environmental impact of the dehumidifier but I do keep the heater on to keep it warm in the van when in use. I believe the impact of burning the odd extra litre of diesel to do so is more efficient than heating a house.

75F8D15D-FC6B-4CEC-AFE9-933A3899A904.jpegFFD5A139-C09C-406C-BD25-1DEE2D5BCB13.jpegADE985EA-4E16-4675-91C9-07179F9D28FE.jpeg

Recently I’ve noticed that I have wet marks on my front and rearseats . I have had my Cali for 3yrs next June but have never noticed this before .
Front seats soon dry out after an hr with heated seat function on . But I am very confused, would this be from condensation, why in different areas ,A8CDD069-9DA6-4332-8DC8-746C5B8010A7.jpegA8CDD069-9DA6-4332-8DC8-746C5B8010A7.jpeg55EB4C93-4E57-48FA-BE56-79EB50A55938.jpeg9CB99355-447E-4A81-A9D2-E1B556A088AB.jpeg can anyone help please .
Thanks

Recently I’ve noticed that I have wet marks on my front and rearseats . I have had my Cali for 3yrs next June but have never noticed this before .
Front seats soon dry out after an hr with heated seat function on . But I am very confused, would this be from condensation, why in different areas ,View attachment 52945View attachment 52945View attachment 52946View attachment 52947 can anyone help please .
Thanks
Could be, but no one has mentioned this before.
When you dry the seats out do you air the van as well, open windows etc: If you don’t then all you are doing is moving the moisture around rather than getting rid of it.

Could be, but no one has mentioned this before.
When you dry the seats out do you air the van as well, open windows etc: If you don’t then all you are doing is moving the moisture around rather than getting rid of it.
I’ve not seen this mention either , when I noticed it again yesterday I took it for a run ,heating on full and windows open . Most of it dried apart from back seats fully .
I am confused/Concerned

I’ve not seen this mention either , when I noticed it again yesterday I took it for a run ,heating on full and windows open . Most of it dried apart from back seats fully .
I am confused/Concerned
Roof Space and cabin roof lining OK?
Lots of passengers with wet coats etc:?

That looks more like a roof leak than condensation, do they only get wet after rain?

If it’s a recurring issue I would cover one or all of the areas with a piece of water proof polythene and see if it gets wet. You would then at least know whether it was moisture coming up from the cushion or from above.

Front seats soon dry out after an hr with heated seat function on . But I am very confused, would this be from condensation, why in different areas ,View attachment 52945View attachment 52945View attachment 52946View attachment 52947 can anyone help please .
Thanks

If it’s a recurring issue I would cover one or all of the areas with a piece of water proof polythene and see if it gets wet. You would then at least know whether it was moisture coming up from the cushion or from above.
Roof Space and cabin roof lining OK?
Lots of passengers with wet coats etc:?
No stains on roof lining , wife spent an hr sat in side during hard rain couple of weeks ok , didn’t see anything.
I do have a couple of inflatable stand up paddle boards in the boot, But I do dry them off before I pack them away into there bags. Just really weird how I’ve only notice this for the first time a couple of weeks back .

The front seats had dried after taking the Cali for a run yesterday , wet again this morning .
No rain in the night .

755F6043-EDEB-44CB-BF79-C4FE94A54E9D.jpeg

5D154888-3E11-4B9B-AF72-3DE74116769C.jpeg

I will try your good idea of laying out some polythene
Thanks all

The biggest difference I have noticed is in having the air con on regularly and ensuring the rear blower is on at least one and set to a medium temp. This seems to get the moist air out of the boot area and the air con takes it out of the air.

If you or a friend have a home dehumidifier try connecting up on mains and leave it in the van for 24 hours and see how much water it collects.

Brown paper is useful and I would lay it round and under everything as it shows any dampness very clearly. However I can't see how this is condensation as it forms on the coldest surface and I can't see why it would form on the seats. You could possibly hire a dehumidifier, you would need a desiccant disc type which will work down to about 5 degrees and run it with the heater on low.

Had my beach for 4 years never seen damp like that, I'd be asking the dealer personally.

I am going to take everything out of the van this weekend, dry all the seats out , document everything ( videos & pictures) and a trip to VW Norwich will be then next on my agenda .
thanks for all your advice

I finally got around to ordering a dehumidifier (Meaco Dry ABC). I’ve put the van on hook up, switched the heater on level 2 (air temp is cold) and got the dehumidifier going.
The storm is bringing heavy rain so I expect some window leakage... will see how much water is collected by tomorrow morning...

I am going to take everything out of the van this weekend, dry all the seats out , document everything ( videos & pictures) and a trip to VW Norwich will be then next on my agenda .
thanks for all your advice
Any outcome?

I finally got around to ordering a dehumidifier (Meaco Dry ABC). I’ve put the van on hook up, switched the heater on level 2 (air temp is cold) and got the dehumidifier going.
The storm is bringing heavy rain so I expect some window leakage... will see how much water is collected by tomorrow morning...
After no heavy rain (so no seepage in at the window) and on for around 20 hours, I emptied the water tank of the dehumidifier and there was at least half a litre of water.
Will be interesting to see how much I get after heavy rain.

Any outcome?
I have been driving as much as possible windows open ,heating AC on full ,heated seats on . It kept returning after a couple of days . Still all very odd that it’s only in these places . Definitely no leaks as head lining Shows no sign , no marks other than the seats.
I had recently bought a dehumidifier as we required one for are older style house but after a day it starting making some horrible vibrating noise and sent it back , the machine I want to buy is currently out of stock so I am waiting .
I have been in to VW Robinson’s of Norwich they have no idea , have emailed them a video of what’s happened. But still waiting on a response after 2 months . Think I need to give them a big nudge.

Back