Dehumidifiers

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I have 2 of these Disposable Dehumidifiers in the California.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311339465105?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
One behind the front passenger seat and one in the Rear Wardrobe. I have to change them both every 3 months because they are full - about 500mls in total. I use my vehicle daily and all year round camping a lot. I have the AirCon on when travelling, so dry air coming in, and we like plenty of ventilation when camping. Are careful with wet clothes etc: but even so we still collect 500ml of condensate every 3 months.
So just a word of warning to members - with our UK climate and All Seasons camping you need to be careful because there are a lot of panels behind door trims, body panels behind the habitation trim and kitchen units that can attract condensation. At least in the California these areas are not sealed with Insulation etc: unlike some conversions and so although it can get in it can also get out.:thumb

boiling a kettle a couple of times a day must contribute litres of condensate over a few months all by itself.

Added to my expanding box of essential items. VW need to get on with building me somewhere to put it all

Mike

All the more reason to cook outside. :)
Only if you sleep outside as well, oh and no breathing inside as well.
Just keep to very, very short trips in the summer and you'll be OK, as long as you hold your breath.:D

Long story but many years ago to prove a point I hired a dehumidifier for our office . Internal cupboard would be a better description. Unbelievable how much condensation was created by three blokes and a shed load of computers. First H& S visit we had was fun. Within three months I had big office with windows (not the MS version) and within 2 years a purpose built unit.

Mike

Re-usable humidifiers would be more eco-friendly. I have just ordered some and will let you know how well they work.

If used regularly does that not keep the interior dry without the need for a dehumidifier? Ventilation and use seems to work or am I wrong?

If used regularly does that not keep the interior dry without the need for a dehumidifier? Ventilation and use seems to work or am I wrong?
I guess it does. I am looking for something to use over the winter months when we wont be using our Cali too much, if at all. We will run the heater every now and then as suggested by others on the site, but thought the dehumidifier idea might stop some dampness. I also have a VW Eos which is truly awful when it comes to condensation, so will try them in that. I really love my old EOS but its the least practical winter car you could imagine!

Re-usable humidifiers would be more eco-friendly. I have just ordered some and will let you know how well they work.
Hi Agnes, where did you get your re-usable dehumidifiers from?

You're right ArunAlec! You're just transferring moisture around...
The idea of re-usable means a requirement to put energy into the silica gel to remove the trapped moisture and dry them for re-use. Does the cost of drying (bought) silica gel outweigh the cost of restocking cheap calcium chloride used in the disposable units?

The idea of re-usable means a requirement to put energy into the silica gel to remove the trapped moisture and dry them for re-use. Does the cost of drying (bought) silica gel outweigh the cost of restocking cheap calcium chloride used in the disposable units?
Almost as puzzling as a suggestion I read recently that you dry out logs in the the oven before you put them on the fire!

I use my SE most days. The AirCon has never been switched off. I have 2 of those Disposable Dehumidifiers in the vehicle and they still need replacing every 3 months or so.

Hi Mart. Are you thinking monetary, environmental cost or both?

Hi Elly, I'm thinking both...
I don't know the cost (money or environmental) of producing desiccants, but I think folk overlook the use of power / fuel to transfer energy from one state, or use, to another, be it electric transport or de-humidifiers!

I use my SE most days. The AirCon has never been switched off. I have 2 of those Disposable Dehumidifiers in the vehicle and they still need replacing every 3 months or so.
You would probably see the same effect with a car.

You would probably see the same effect with a car.
I do in my Wife’s Smart car. Only 1 unit in that, AirCon on all the time as well.

I do in my Wife’s Smart car. Only 1 unit in that, AirCon on all the time as well.
You'd probably see the same if you had one in your underpants.
But come on, is it necessary? for me it aint, it makes no sense to me
and I'm not giving any of my kids inheritance to this.
I'm out. :)

You'd probably see the same if you had one in your underpants.
But come on, is it necessary? for me it aint, it makes no sense to me
and I'm not giving any of my kids inheritance to this.
I'm out. :)
?

Back