Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Delivery or collection

Seaview

Seaview

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We were due to collect our T6 on Friday but due to no fault on our part the Cali now won’t be available till early next week. We live 5 hours away from dealer and had already paid for train tickets which we have been told dealer will reimburse.

They have offered to deliver next week but is this wise to accept as we would be required to pay in advance and not have the opportunity to inspect prior to handing over funds?

Interested to hear thoughts on this and if anyone has purchased and accepted delivery to home address? Should we go and inspect in person even though delivery would be much easier due to change in collection date?

How familiar are you with Calis? Even with reasonable knowledge of them, I’d be picking it up...

Pick it up!!!!
They will send a driver to deliver it probably it won’t come on a truck ...

I could try but not too sure they’d agree due to the distance involved, approx 200 miles.

We are familiar, just moving from T5.1 to T6 so not expecting too many changes but the question is will it have the spec as agreed and ordered.

Pick it up. The sensation of driving it out of the dealership is second to none. I did it last Friday :cool:

We are familiar, just moving from T5.1 to T6 so not expecting too many changes but the question is will it have the spec as agreed and ordered.

...and how fast will it be tearing up the M6...

Yes, I believe it will be a driver and we were looking forward to putting on first mileage.

One of the reasons it is being delayed is because of the transporter delivery to the dealership and an ‘incident’ which we have been made aware of yesterday.

Hope they are not doing any post-incident respraying of your pride and joy before you pick it up.....

I could try but not too sure they’d agree due to the distance involved, approx 200 miles.
The distance is the same. When our T5 was rear-ended it went 45 miles to bodyshop on a transporter, They were going to drive it back so it would have meant a second driver and car coming back with it. They happily sent a driver and a car to pick me up and took me back to collect my van. It worked out cheaper in resources.

One of the reasons it is being delayed is because of the transporter delivery to the dealership and an ‘incident’ which we have been made aware of yesterday.

I hope you have full details and your van has not be damaged.

I had a poor and disappointing experience with a dealer (not local)
Our van was delivered, it was filthy, ok it had driven 150 miles in the rain but honestly, they could have gone to a local jet wash or hand car wash and for £10 I’d have been impressed. They arrived early so it would have been very easy and left a much better impression.
Worse still it not been valeted inside at all.
I’d pointed out the dirt down the inner roof tracks when viewing and that was all still there.
I found hair in the upstairs bed that I’d pointed out to the dealer when we looked at it which was still there on delivery. Disgusting.
Now the fun starts as the V5 has finally turned up but in my name and not the wife’s as repeatedly pointed out to them throughout the process.
I welcome and tips on complaints to VW to someone that would give a stuff.

Interestingly I’ve spoke to someone else on here ironically less than 2 miles from me who has had a similarity poor experience from the same dealer.

I might have saved a fair chunk of money buying further north but the experience of parting with the second largest chunk of money I’ve ever spent has been underwhelming.

Collect it. The driver won’t know Calis so won’t do any handover to show you how stuff works and won’t want to wait for you to check nothing is missing or broken. He’ll simply be interested in you dropping him to the station ASAP. I’d also be pressing the dealer about why it’s late ie are they having to repair something. Download the handover checklists from the forum before you go.

Collection always.
Give it a thorough check over, point out any issues face to face and then there are no arguments etc.
negotiate those free mats before you leave.

From another perspective

Just because you have paid for it and had it delivered does not take away any rights of complaint etc

Anyone familiar with leasing vehicles will know that they get delivered to you by a driver. Check the vehicle for damage and note it allow the delivery docs.
This applies to a ford focus or a Bentley

I would have been very happy to have had ours delivered and save an awful trip on the train to Birmingham but it wasn't an option available to us

Yes, I believe it will be a driver and we were looking forward to putting on first mileage.

Definately collect it.
Do you know full information of the incident?
If it was a bodywork repair, I’d be rejecting it.

Agree with all the arguments for collection above.

We were due to collect our T6 on Friday but due to no fault on our part the Cali now won’t be available till early next week. We live 5 hours away from dealer and had already paid for train tickets which we have been told dealer will reimburse.

They have offered to deliver next week but is this wise to accept as we would be required to pay in advance and not have the opportunity to inspect prior to handing over funds?

Interested to hear thoughts on this and if anyone has purchased and accepted delivery to home address? Should we go and inspect in person even though delivery would be much easier due to change in collection date?
Personally we would go to collect it

I always collect, I don't want it washing or valeting, just the PDI done. I spend a couple of days unwrapping everything and thoroughly cleaning the inside and adding carpets, covers etc., then move to the outside.

This involves removing the transport coating, and polishing. I then fit the bling. I have seen how they are treated at dealers, contract companies washing them with gritty sponges and water the colour of the local canal.

I also fitted my German number plate surrounds and plates at the dealers on collection, Took the freshly bought correct fixings, cordless drill and screwdriver with me. Also a wood saw, plane and sandpaper to remove the Perspex advertisement shape to the plate bottom, that seems to be getting popular now. This needs to be done to fit into the surround's. I'm amazed how so called Tecs cant seem to position a number plate symmetrical or even level.

Had two to do as my mate picked his up at the same time.

Same principle if it has to go in for work, I park it in a safe paranoid place. If I can watch it I will, if not I'm like an expectant father. Then inspect it before taking it home, I never let it be washed at the dealers.

We are all different :help. Sometimes I put my knees on my chest and lean forward, Its just the way I roll.

Last edited:
I always collect, I don't want it washing or valeting, just the PDI done. I spend a couple of days unwrapping everything and thoroughly cleaning the inside and adding carpets, covers etc., then move to the outside.

This involves removing the transport coating, and polishing. I then fit the bling. I have seen how they are treated at dealers, contract companies washing them with gritty sponges and water the colour of the local canal.

I also fitted my German number plate surrounds and plates at the dealers on collection, Took the freshly bought correct fixings, cordless drill and screwdriver with me. Also a wood saw, plane and sandpaper to remove the Perspex advertisement shape to the plate bottom, that seems to be getting popular now. This needs to be done to fit into the surround's. I'm amazed how so called Tecs cant seem to position a number plate symmetrical or even level.

Had two to do as my mate picked his up at the same time.

Same principle if it has to go in for work, I park it in a safe paranoid place. If I can watch it I will, if not I'm like an expectant father. Then inspect it before taking it home, I never let it be washed at the dealers.

We are all different :help

Crikey, you’d be a great person to buy a used Cali from!

We collected ours armed with the VIP checklist.
There was a dent in the front bonnet( replaced with a new bonnet off another van).. An arm missing from the internal sliding table.
Definitely collect .

Do you really need a VIP check list to look for damage to a vehicle ( of any make) ?

A brand new vehicle should be exactly that with no marks or blemishes and if there are then the manufacturer should rectify

A used vehicle is exactly that and will have signs of use and will not be perfect and as new

If a vehicle is being delivered it should arrive with you as new ( if it is indeed a new vehicle) any marks chips or damage suffered on route to you should be rectified

Susans last car was leased ( a very expensive Merc) it was delivered and arrived with a stone chip in the screen from its delivery journey, No one tried to hide it and it went straight to the nearest merc garage for a new screen

All the paraphernalia that goes with a Cali can be checked off regardless of delivered or collected using the VIP check list or whatever.

Obviously i prefer to collect within reason but to dismiss delivery for any other reason than personal choice ........

Do you really need a VIP check list to look for damage to a vehicle ( of any make) ?

A brand new vehicle should be exactly that with no marks or blemishes and if there are then the manufacturer should rectify

A used vehicle is exactly that and will have signs of use and will not be perfect and as new

If a vehicle is being delivered it should arrive with you as new ( if it is indeed a new vehicle) any marks chips or damage suffered on route to you should be rectified

Susans last car was leased ( a very expensive Merc) it was delivered and arrived with a stone chip in the screen from its delivery journey, No one tried to hide it and it went straight to the nearest merc garage for a new screen

All the paraphernalia that goes with a Cali can be checked off regardless of delivered or collected using the VIP check list or whatever.

Obviously i prefer to collect within reason but to dismiss delivery for any other reason than personal choice ........

The checklist wont tell you where to look for damage, which by the way can be missed if being dropped off by a delivery driver, then the dealer only has your word that you did not do it.
The list is for all the useful and sometimes useless items that come with a new van (depends on your thoughts).
You don't know how the vehicle has been driven or where, has the driver stopped at a drive through dropped ketchup on the seat or carpet, hit the height barrier scraped the roof mounted the kerb?
Also if your not used to a Cali you need a comprehensive handover IMHO.

but as you said and I totally agree personal choice.

The VIP list helped identify everything was there. A number of Cali at the time were being delivered with items missing.
Obviously inspection of the vehicle is a separate thing.
We drove over 300 miles to collect ,so inspection of the bodywork was vital . The dented bonnet ( not identified by the dealer )could be rectify straight away.

Back