Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Deposit paid - 2008 Cali

Big Ted

Big Ted

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Deposit has just been paid on a 2008 2.5 (174) tiptronic Cali.

787e49b6eb904df794d8c90bb046f137.jpg 787e49b6eb904df794d8c90bb046f137.jpg 2e2dd084cd9146c0be37dafdc6e5f223.jpg 4865516f89a9448b9cc95d1cb39ef176.jpg 520bce002a514d66a4b6cb4181133ac1.jpg 11406f4e214e44838fe61f906bf9e930.jpg 64c235ec2f3a42e7ad5719541511faa8.jpg

Trading in N Reg T4 Reimo van that's been with us for 4.5 years & we've loved using him for trips around UK, South of France & the Nordics.
Looking fwd to having Airbags, AirCon & ABS!!

Cali looks very well maintained from remote viewing & chatting with dealership.
Need to physically get up to see the van asap now, but not expecting any issues.

Does anyone have any pearls of wisdom/advice when I see her in the flesh?
I'll be testing all the habitation equipment out & kicking the tyres as best as I can.
I know it's not got an awning, but at 6'8" tall, I don't like awnings!!
The only thing that appears to be missing is the remote heating controller?
Spoiler will force a towbar to be fitted for the bikes.

Roll on next week.

Next Challenge - the name! The old T4 was called Popeye (Popeye the Campervan, sung in the same tune as Popeye the Sailor man.)
My choice would be Bluto - to keep in the theme, but I've been told no.

Same as ours (except in colour!)

Most obvious is the earth shunt problem, so check the heater works with the engine off and not on hook-up...

Oh, and I'm 6'6" and just about fit the driver's seat without hitting my head. The seats have no height adjustment so depends if you're most tall in the back or the legs...

Oh, and I'm 6'6" and just about fit the driver's seat without hitting my head. The seats have no height adjustment so depends if you're most tall in the back or the legs...
I'm "normal" (he say's knowing his not) - I sat in a T6 Cali the other week and I was fine, plus am OK in the t4 I'm not really expecting any trauma.

I'm "normal" (he say's knowing his not) - I sat in a T6 Cali the other week and I was fine, plus am OK in the t4 I'm not really expecting any trauma.

You'll be fine then if you've sat in a T6... :thumb

Oh, another thing worth checking is the gas connector. Should be changed every 5 years, so we've just changed ours again at 10 years...

Welcome here!
Nice looking California!
Maybe you want to get the VIP Membership check lists for the handover?
Good point about gas connector and gas-wires...
Happy camping!!

• Agree
Reactions: Sad
Nice van man :thumb

Only 48k miles too.

As Sad says above, check that the heater runs, i would set it on number 2
and before you start the heater switch all the rear interior lights on.
When the heater kicks in, if the lights start to flicker then this is a good
indication that the earth shunt needs doing.

Open the roof and have a look for the corrosion and check that the
halogen lamp upstairs is in one piece and working.

Replacement remote heater fob is approx £200 from VW dealer.
Expect to replace leisure batteries if they have not been done. They may seem ok but check they still hold a charge by running aux heater for a while.

Check Brake Discs and Pads. Low milage vehicles often have significant corrosion on discs leading to increased pad wear, so they could need replacing sooner than you think.
Despite low milage there are Service items that are time limited as well as milage.
I think the 2.5 has a chain drive rather than a rubber Cambelt.

• Agree
Congrats, looks a cracker! I see it has the 3 zone climate control so make sure you check it blows hot & cold in the rear as it should. Engines are solid, still worth checking if the manifolds in good condition or been replaced at all as they’re not the cheapest.

Last edited:
Great stuff ! You got a name allready ...Hamlet !

Names:
Ol Blue
Midnight (marvel)
Briney (keeping up the seafaring theme)
Sweat pea (only joking)
Blue Mist
Fifer
Marlin

That’s one clean looking Cali, looks superb on the dealer website video, is that an internal topper in the vid 3.16 minutes in?

Ironically the tune playing to the Video ! that name has already been taken ! (Author of post 12)

Looks lovely.
Heater remotes can be had off ebay for £60 then you've got to find someone to code it to the vehicle. Most Cali centres don't know how to do it. I know someone who does but he's Derbyshire way.

Check for whiff of exhaust fumes in cab. Exhaust manifolds can crack on these.

Would the dealer put a remote into the deal ?

Wow! What a great bunch you are on this forum!!
Many thanks for all your input, all very encouraging and helpful.
Cali has a service stamp nearly every year, with some years only 4k miles being put on it!
All Filters were changed each time too. (Not main dealer, but owners brothers garage.)
Has gearbox oil done at VW 2015.
Brake fluid change twice, last time in 2015.
Tyres are near new
Discs have been changed in the last year or so.

All in all it’s looking good!
It’ll come with 6 month RAC warranty - what ever that is really worth these days.

Loving the names, especially Sinbad.
Popeye has a diary we write in every trip, it’s called Popeye’s adventures.
I can see the new book now - The adventures of Sinbad!
Needs to go to a vote though.. will keep you all updated once it’s seen/paid for/driven home.

Good to know the gearbox oil has been changed along with everything else, it's something that is often overlooked. It's the first thing I had done when we purchased ours last September . Ours has exactly the same interior but is reflex silver, we are away in it this weekend and can't wait! Hope you get the sorted soon.

"I think the 2.5 has a chain drive rather than a rubber Cambelt."

2.5 five cylinder T5 has NO belts or chains, all driven from a gear train at the 'gearbox end' of the engine, connection to alternator, air-con pump, power steering pump etc. are all driven via Gates couplings.

If you need info on changing the couplings there is some info here http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/replacing-gates-couplings-in-2-5-t5_topic38613.html

Hamlet Motors is only a few miles from where I live. I don’t know much about the T5 mechanicals but I might be able to pop over to see if the body and living area etc look ok? Probably best before you come up as if I spot anything they can get it sorted for you ready.

The van looks great! :thumb But one thing I noticed about the video was that it looked like they were raising the roof with the windows and doors closed. I hope they opened something when they closed the roof otherwise the canvas blows out and can get damaged, so check the bellows for cuts and the roof for kinks.

When you collect it, pop down to Parkgate for first stop, great place for chips and/or ice cream with a view!

• Agree
Great Van.

You will have lots of fun in it. There is in my mind no greater pleasure then parking up ‘free’ for the night and realising that your your full fridge of ‘Grub ’ & ‘Vino’ is free due to the savings of a paid campsite.....I have had many 100s of nights with that feeling.....

Welcome: check the hydraulic roof stays up, doesn’t sag and closes properly (keeping a window/door open of course). Also note you can’t fit a factory bike rack with that rear spoiler in situ and it’s probably well adhered on.