Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Devonport Wheels

californiakid

californiakid

Vehicle
T5 Beach
Just wondered if anyone has replaced 16" wheels on 2015 Beach with 17" Devonports. Also what to do with 16" spare, replace or leave. Also would it pass an MOT with 16" wheel as the spare. Understand that the rolling radius is the same for 16" and 17".

Just wondered if anyone has replaced 16" wheels on 2015 Beach with 17" Devonports. Also what to do with 16" spare, replace or leave. Also would it pass an MOT with 16" wheel as the spare. Understand that the rolling radius is the same for 16" and 17".
Interesting question as I was thinking of doing the same thing. How can the rolling radius be the same?

Interesting question as I was thinking of doing the same thing. How can the rolling radius be the same?
Because the tyre dimensions vary to compensate.

Spare just needs to be road legal, for instance a space saver has different wheel/tyre combination

Because the tyre dimensions vary to compensate.

Spare just needs to be road legal, for instance a space saver has different wheel/tyre combination

Thanks for that Loz..

Yes, I've replaced the 16" Clayton alloys with 17" Devonports on our T6 Beach. The Devonports are much easier to clean as they are a simpler design and allow a greater space between the wheel and the smaller 16" brake discs etc. IMO they also look nicer. There are no issues with doing this, just check the tyre pressures once fitted and reset the MFD accordingly. I would suggest applying a very thin smear of copper slip on the mating surface of the alloy wheels to prevent the wheel sticking on in the future but don't get it in the threaded wheel bolt holes. Alloys can be a right bu##er to get off if they've started to react with the steel hubs. Be sure to Torque up the wheel bolts to 180 Nm.

Alternatively get a garage to change them but beware of the occasional air wrench clown that will over tighten the bolts using this tool incorrectly. Wheel bolts should always be finished off by being hand torqued to the correct setting. I once had a car with two or three sheered bolts following a trip to a large well known tyre depot. This was only discovered a day later when I had a puncture. The bolt heads sheered off very easily when a different garage tried to remove them. I had to change every bolt! Good job I wasn't on the motorway.

I have no intention of replacing the 16" steel spare as the circumfrence is more or less the same. The spare is only a temporary thing anyway. The other reason for keeping the 16" steel spare is that I have heard that they are less interesting to the light fingered brigade. There are no MOT implications.

Last edited:
Ok so have I got this right, If I want to go from 16 to 18 inch alloys, I would need tyres with a smaller sidewall height to keep the circumference the same and therefor the revs per mile the same? (Sorry newbie to wheels)

Ok so have I got this right, If I want to go from 16 to 18 inch alloys, I would need tyres with a smaller sidewall height to keep the circumference the same and therefor the revs per mile the same? (Sorry newbie to wheels)
Yes that's correct, if you look on the tyre pressure label on your drivers door reveal you will see the recommended wheel and tyre sizes.

all the info you need regarding tyre sizes,load and spend ratings are on the drivers side door shut.

@Loz do you know why the 16" tyres need a higher load rating ? is it because they have a higher side wall ?

Its worth some bedtime reading of the attached.

Attachments

• Wheels_and_Tyres_Guide_-_General_Information.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
16" don't 'need' a higher load rating it's just that they are normally commercial rated which is higher rated as regards load by default. Same 103 minimum applies.

I had a quick look and couldn't find a 16" tyre that wasn't C (Commercial) rated with sufficient load rating for a Cali.

interestingly tho only R speed rating for m&s tyres

which doesn't match the speed rating for my van

and i was hoping to go faster than 106 in the snow :)

Great post Boris - very informative.

I hope to swap my 16" Beach factory wheels for the 17" Ocean factory wheels when we return to the UK in June - new or nearly new sets seem to be advertised here regularly.
Good plan.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Another 16 to 17inch question, I've seen mention of longer bolts for some swops, when are these required? I imagine for factory Cascavels then common bolts would be used for both sizes, or am I missing something?

Using VW Factory fitted optional wheels shouldn't need any change of wheel bolts.

An aside->

Fitting after market (non VW) wheels can in many cases mean a change of bolts also, these are usually supplied by the wheel manufacturer or supplier. That's why you often see wheels such as Davenports sold with the bolts.
If for example Land Rover wheels were being fitted then a bolt change would be required as VW use a cup shaped locating washer and LR a conventional flat washer.

If a spacer was being fitted to change the wheel offset then longer bolts would again be required.

I’ve a bit of a mystery to solve.

My van currently has Dunlop Sport Maxx TT tyres fitted with the side wall reading 235/55/ZR17 103 W and yet when I measure the wheel diameter they’re more like 18” ? Also the side wall profile height is measuring around 105 mm rather than 129 mm (55%) whilst the tyre width is 230-235 mm give it take giving a wall height ratio of 45%?
So, I appear to have 235/45/R18’s fitted? Help anyone?

I’m considering upgrading to 18” VW Bulli Discs (silver version) and fitting 255/45/R18 103 V all weather tyres. As it means either buying some expensive wheels (imports or online from a remote supplier and given I clearly don’t understand what I’m doing) I’m not currently in a position to ask sensible questions so that I can be sure I don’t waste a pile of cash buying wheels that just don’t fit!

Will they ..

a) fit easily onto the 5 stud arrangement as per my existing Devonports and …
b) will the Bullis take a 255 width tyre?

Sorry for such a long-winded post but VW want nearly £4,000 to fit wheels and tyres and was advised that I’d be better trying to source elsewhere.

I’ve a bit of a mystery to solve.

My van currently has Dunlop Sport Maxx TT tyres fitted with the side wall reading 235/55/ZR17 103 W and yet when I measure the wheel diameter they’re more like 18” ? Also the side wall profile height is measuring around 105 mm rather than 129 mm (55%) whilst the tyre width is 230-235 mm give it take giving a wall height ratio of 45%?
So, I appear to have 235/45/R18’s fitted? Help anyone?
I think you are measuring wrong! the 17" is the size of the hole in the tyre. the bit you are not measuring is the overlap between the tyre & the rim.

Back